Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
My brother has dropped his iPhone on few occasions and the glass broke.. In most cases I assume If you take care if it you'll be good..

But I don't understand why Apple does not use gorilla glass on their phones..?

It's probably more expensive and that would mean Apple would have to raise the price of iPhones or eat the cost and hurt their plans to have a trillion dollars in reserve :rolleyes:

Cozmo85

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
Gorilla glass is just a brand name for chemically strengthened glass. Apple doesn't have to have gorilla glass to have the same product

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Either you use gorilla glass from Corning or you don't. Nobody else makes gorilla glass. While other companies can make their own chemically strengthened glass, it'll use a different process, and is most likely inferior to Corning's gorilla glass.

Last edited:

nmg196

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
My brother has dropped his iPhone on few occasions and the glass broke.. In most cases I assume If you take care if it you'll be good..

But I don't understand why Apple does not use gorilla glass on their phones..?

What would be the point? The glass they use is the same product and just as good. Also Gorilla Glass has all the same problems as the new iPhone 4 glass - it can still be scratched and shatter etc as it's glass.

I don't really see the point in putting two layers of glass on your phone. The whole point of a plastic screen protector is that it helps stop the original glass from getting damaged by adsorbing the shock. Another layer of glass wouldn't do that you're likely to just break both layers as the shock will just transfer through. Glass isn't very bouncy and makes a poor screen protector.

Plus what's wrong with the plastic ones? Mine's been on for over a year and doesn't have any scratches on it yet. Looks like they're trying to solve a problem which isn't even a problem.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
What would be the point? The glass they use is the same product and just as good. Also Gorilla Glass has all the same problems as the new iPhone 4 glass - it can still be scratched and shatter etc as it's glass.

I don't really see the point in putting two layers of glass on your phone. The whole point of a plastic screen protector is that it helps stop the original glass from getting damaged by adsorbing the shock. Another layer of glass wouldn't do that you're likely to just break both layers as the shock will just transfer through. Glass isn't very bouncy and makes a poor screen protector.

Plus what's wrong with the plastic ones? Mine's been on for over a year and doesn't have any scratches on it yet. Looks like they're trying to solve a problem which isn't even a problem.

So please tell me which screen protector you are using, because over the year I had some and they all ended with scratch and with a yellow dirty color (Back Zagg InvisibleShield).
The plastic screen will not do ANYTHING if damaged, it is simple not thick or bouncy enough to absorve damage. The point of screen protectors is to prevent scratches, not damage, and since glass is much more scratch resistant than any plastic screen protector, it would be nice to put some over our iPhone glass.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Apple doesn't use Gorilla Glass..

Citation please. I know a lot of people look at Corning's customers page, and assume, because they don't see Apple listed, that Apple isn't a customer, but many companies don't list customers on those sorts of pages because their contracts with those customers say *not* to.

The known properties of iPhone glass match well with the known properties of Corning's Gorilla Glass. Apple doesn't put Intel Core i7 stickers on their MacBook Pros, but they still use them. Just because they don't advertise the use of Gorilla Glass doesn't mean they aren't using it

The lack of lawsuits relating to the Gorilla Glass story in the Jobs biography, I think we can safely assume that the story told there is true. Based on that, what makes you think they've *stopped* using it?

vincent.m

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2012
Calgary
I have never though any kind of a screen protector was a good idea. As the guy at the Apple Store told me, the iPhone has the highest quality display out of any mobile device in the world. No matter how clear the protector is, it will always distort that at least a little bit, ruining the point of the retina display. As far as the tiny scratches people are getting on their phone, the front screen rarely scratches and when it does, its so small you can hardly tell when the phone is off and you can't tell at all when it is turned on. For the scratches on the back, you can pop a case on, or if your like me and have no case, if it somehow gets scratched you can get the back replaced by Apple for about the same cost as this screen protector.

The real problem with iOS screens is getting them smashed, and no screen protector would ever stop that (especially a glass one).

nuratrim review

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Kinda my theory. The kind of knocks or falls that will ruin your day, this won't help you with - but I have yet to see any kinds of scratches on the surface of my glass, with daily use.

Still, it's a neat product IMHO.

I refuse to pay the money for these new smart phones. I work with aroud 300 people and there is someone every day that has had their phone broken or damaged buy a little knock.

rdokoye

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
I guess its okay; I think the protection that it offers is fairly limited, scratch resistance being the most pivotal. I’d like something that offers some kind of shock resistance.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.