Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I want my own SSD in a 27" (Apple's options are garbage, per usual.)

I know there's been different teardowns, of the 21.5" at least. Has anyone commented on this procedure with the new iMac? Any obstacles, different from previous gens? Anyone here at MR whose done it?

What is the deal with the glue, versus magnets? Does this mean it's harder to put the screen back?

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Hopefully the 27" will use magnets, instead of adhesive...

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
No teardowns of the 27" yet but im almost 99% sure it will be the same as the 21". All you need is a guitar pick to break the double sided adhesive, someone on here has already done the SSD upgrade on the 21" without any issues. It is advised that you wait till someone finds out exactly what double sided tape Apple are using so you can restore it back to factory specs for warranty issues if needed.

Im doing the same with my 27" but i ordered the fusion drive, i will use the 128GB blade SSD for my bootcamp install and a 512GB 830 Samsung SSD for my OSX and Apps. I will use the 3TB drive i pull out of the iMac in a USB3 external enclosure i have for my media files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.