Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niko22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I know there are multiple threads on phones that are scratched right out of the box. My phone also had a tiny nick on it right of the box.

I'm wondering for those of you that have connected your phone to charge it if you are now seeing a scratch on your phone that looks exactly like the new lighting adapter. See picture below:

picture.php

I have plugged in my phone twice to charge, and now I have a nice little lightning sized scratch on my iPhone. Anyone else seeing anything like this?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
here's what mine looks like. I've had this one since the Monday after launch day, and it's been plugged in every day at least once, sometimes more often (if I'm using my in-car audio or tethering via USB on my Macbook Pro). So, about 80 or so plug/unplug cycles:

5_lightningport.jpg

Honestly, I didn't even know the chipping on the edge was there until I read this thread. I don't know if it's been there since the day I got it, or if that's from plugging and unplugging, or something else.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
No wayyyyyyyyy.

No seriously, no **** ??? Haven't you read the 5,000+ post about how the black iPhone scuff easily? Obviously this includes where the connector goes.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Nope...mine's perfect. And, in fact, I'm amazed I DON'T have tons of scratches all of the bottom, as I have on many occasions blindly slid my lightning connector all over the bottom of the phone trying to find the hole, and I still have no scratches. My bezels look perfect too (though the sides are covered by my case, but the top and bottom ones are open).

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Mines had lots of charging too, no starches yet.

Are you using the genuine Apple cable right? Maybe the cheap-o ones have bad specs?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Well I carefully put my lightning cable in my phone and i have absoultely no scratches from the cable... As for the rest of the people in this thread with messed up metal by the port, thats either been there since you got your phone or your just very rough with the cable and shoving it in the phone thus scratching it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.