Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I had an iPhone 4 with AT&T. I got it unlocked and sold it a few days back. The buyer just contacted me, though, and said that when they tried to activate the phone they received the message "We’re sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced."

Looking online, I see all sorts of things about people saying that message means the phone has been stolen or something along those lines (which I'm sure makes the buyer think very highly of me), but it occurs to me that I did actually have the phone replaced at an Apple store a while back after I accidentally trashed the original one.

If you had your phone replaced by Apple, are you not able to sell that phone later on? Just trying to see if there's anything to do before sending a refund and getting the phone back.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Your original phone's SN or IMEI number would have that result. Not your replacement phone.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
After some more digging around, I realized that I sent the phone in its original box, which would have the original phone's info on the back. Could that be all that is tripping everything up? If you buy a used phone, would it actually require you to type in information from the box? Not sure what that process is like..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
After some more digging around, I realized that I sent the phone in its original box, which would have the original phone's info on the back. Could that be all that is tripping everything up? If you buy a used phone, would it actually require you to type in information from the box? Not sure what that process is like..

No, that doesnt make sense either.
All it needs is a sim and it will activate.
You dont need to enter any serial numbers or anything like that.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

If unlocked, the person should be able to insert their SIM card, but if they activating a new SIM card the carrier may ask for the serial number and or IMEI number of the phone. Tell them to get that info from the phone itself.

Settings>General>About

petethepanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Very dumb oversight on my part. It honestly didn't even occur to me to mention it, it's been a long while since having it replaced. Still waiting to hear back from the guy, hopefully we can get it sorted out.

Thanks guys!

petethepanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Well, the seller wants to return it, which I understand.

So once I have it back, is there any way I can confirm via the numbers on the phone itself that it should definitely work should I try to sell it again? I really want to be 110% sure it'll work before putting it back out there again considering how much of an ******* I looked like the first time around.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well, the seller wants to return it, which I understand.

So once I have it back, is there any way I can confirm via the numbers on the phone itself that it should definitely work should I try to sell it again? I really want to be 110% sure it'll work before putting it back out there again considering how much of an ******* I looked like the first time around.

I'd be very carefull with ebay returns if you sold it through ebay.
Hope he doesnt try to pull a fast one on you and send an empty box or box with a tv remote or something and then get his money back from paypal.
Then he gets to keep the iphone and his money.
I'd decline the return if I was you since the phone is fine, he just gave his carrier the wrong IMEI number from the box instead of the one on the phone.
Not your fault or problem.
I'd avoid the whole mess and chance of getting ripped off.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The seller insisted on returning the phone, but I got it back fine today (surprisingly quick). It's definitely the same one I sent.

Is there any way to check myself that this will work fine if I try to sell it again (and mention repeatedly to use the numbers from the device itself)?

Turning on the phone, it gives the "No SIM Card Installed, Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate iPhone" message. Hitting the "info" button displays the IMEI, but the ICCID is "Unknown." Is this normal for a phone with no SIM currently in it? I had the phone unlocked by ATT if that makes a difference.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Okay, cool. Tried putting in my old ATT SIM and the ICCID populated.

So is there really any way I can check to be 100% sure this will work for someone? Especially the fact that it's unlocked, I got the iTunes "congrats you're unlocked" message but I'm not sure if there's any way to get more feedback than just that. I just don't want to wind up inadvertently screwing somebody over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.