Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Hi, am fighting a long illness and in my ongoing fuzzyheaded fatigue I got overly fearful about 'losing' files and now I'm stuck with the problem of many, many files replicated in scattershot fashion across 4 large hard drives in a disorganized way. Some are duplicated 2 and 3 times over. I searched the forum & app store for an app to assist in the process, but every one I found appears to be equally reccomended and hated and I am now lost.

Which app might be best of the Lot?

Note: I do not have a particukar need for iPhoto or iTunes to be fixed. Cuz I don't actually use either - other than to backup my iPad of course.
Majority of what I need weeded are media files: my movies, my tv shows, video clips, audiobooks, ebooks, pdfs, etc.

Thx
Richard in Michigan

Dellu

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Norway
Gemini

Gemini 2 - Definitely worth the money.

http://macpaw.com/gemini

I have been working with Gemini for a while. It is great, but not perfect. It misses duplicates a lot. You have to run it at least 3 times on the same folder if you want it really clean up.
-I have been testing it, the latest version, very carefully, after duplicating around 1000 PDF files. it was able to clean them all at the 4th round run. :p

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Ah, MacPaw, the makers of CleanMyMac, but since that Gemini app is approved by Apple, as it is available via the Mac App Store (MAS), it might be not as damaging as CleanMyMac.

ah.... Gemini ...

This may be good for me.... 9,000 + duplicates may take a while with the limited version of DupeGuru. And paying for it is not worth something i'm only going to be using twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.