Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I do help people locally to mod their phones. I this is the first iPhone 5 mod. People are concerned about their warranties so it's not typical to start doing mods for several months after a release of a phone.

The phone looks amazing in the back, but personally I would have kept a white home button for the phone, haha. Regardless, it looks pretty nice.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Sorry, but you might have a different opinion but I assure you, it's not "terrible"...

I like it ! Good job man !!

Thank you :D

----------

sorry but it looks so terrible :confused:

Why are you sorry? You're welcome to your opinion and I posted the video to ask for all of your opinion. Doesn't bother me if people have a different opinion than I do.

----------

Looks like the first-generation.

It kind of does huh? I thought the new speaker grill reminded me of the 1st gen too.

----------

Looks like the first-generation.

It kind of does huh? I thought the new speaker grill reminded me of the 1st gen too.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
While all of you were discussing the perks and drawbacks of white/black iPhone 5's I was busy making a white and black iPhone 5, the best of both worlds. What do you think?

YouTube: video

I love the black buttons, they really stick out! I want the black iPhone 5 soooo bad. All they had when i got there were white ones. I was too excited to wait though so white it was!

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
How did you swap out the two back glass panels? Was that easy? I'd love a white iphone with all the glass black.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I love the black buttons, they really stick out! I want the black iPhone 5 soooo bad. All they had when i got there were white ones. I was too excited to wait though so white it was!

Yeah my first one was the black one... Watch out for scuffs though. Cover it immediately. The black ones look so good.

----------

How did you swap out the two back glass panels? Was that easy? I'd love a white iphone with all the glass black.

The panels were really tough. I had to fully strip out everything down to just the aluminum housing alone and heat it so the glue would release. Even then I was kind of scared it was going to to break it. You can access the panels from inside the housing to push them out, it would be impossible to get out without damaging it if you had to pry them out from the outside.

My original intention was to do a "how to" video but honestly it was so difficult that I don't recommend it. Bet that soon enough they will sell a kit with the different colors already pre-installed.

----------

I take care of my phone so I don't have to worry about scuffs.

I took care of mine too. Just got one from a bad batch... Those ones scuff by looking at them wrong.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Interesting, I would have kept a black front but I like the silver border on it! Probably would have went full white iPhone with the exception of a black front, but that's just me. Looks cool!

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Interesting, I would have kept a black front but I like the silver border on it! Probably would have went full white iPhone with the exception of a black front, but that's just me. Looks cool!

At first I did just the black screen... It didn't photograph as well though. From the front it looked like a black iPhone with a silver bezel and from the back it looked like a white one. It's a good idea for someone who likes the black but doesn't want the scuffs.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
At first I did just the black screen... It didn't photograph as well though. From the front it looked like a black iPhone with a silver bezel and from the back it looked like a white one. It's a good idea for someone who likes the black but doesn't want the scuffs.

Well if you get bored I guess you can always change it down the line! Unless it's a one time only deal, which you would know .

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Excellent video and what a great idea.

Well done. :)

Thanks Tymmz... :D

----------

Well if you get bored I guess you can always change it down the line! Unless it's a one time only deal, which you would know .

Yeah, that's the plan. I've already switch from a black one to a white one then a white and black one so I'm sure soon enough I'll be mixing it up again.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
If the OP can dismantle a 5 like that, maybe if he's short on work Foxconn would hire him? :) I don't much care for the colour though...just personal taste I guess.

I'd prefer getting paid more than a handful of rice a day at work.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I can't believe how brave you are. First the rocket drop test, then the scuffgate video and now this, amazing! I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel for a few months now and I keep getting blown away. Keep up the good work :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.