Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Generally speaking, higher disposable income = higher education levels, since education is still the primary driver for income levels. So the concept of smarter people owning Apple products is a path already well-researched and proven.

Here's a recent study.

Android users are, on average, less educated than Apple users. Not calling out anyone specific, but the whole "Apple users waste money on inferior product" could be 100% true simply because Apple users can afford to do so more than their Android counterparts. The education/intelligence part of of it is open for debate. The fact that more education = more disposable income part, however, is really common knowledge. Well, to the educated people at least.

Not really informative or surprising when you think about it. Android isn't just all Galaxy S3's or One X's that cost about as much as an iPhone; it's also cheap/budget 0 dollar contract phones. It's not illogical to think that people who earn less are more likely to go with Android.

Far more interesting would be a similar study with top-of-the-line Androids.

Also, education levels doesn't = smarts or intelligence -only a certain aspect of it.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Not really informative or surprising when you think about it. Android isn't just all Galaxy S3's or One X's that cost about as much as an iPhone; it's also cheap/budget 0 dollar contract phones. It's not illogical to think that people who earn less are more likely to go with Android.

What's pretty clear from all the various Android market segmentation stats I've seen is that Android, by very nature of its design, attracts the majority of the "bottom dwellers" of the socioeconomic strata. When you are the default OS for anyone that wants to offer the cheapest product possible, that's just going to happen. So yes, when taken as a whole, the term "Android users" is rather misleading as there are those who chose premium Android devices, and those that chose el-cheapo models. Not sure I've seen any studies that do a better job of really breaking down the Android OS user demographic profiles, and every time someone dares mention the word "fragmentation" on this particular sub-forum, they get their head bit off by those who see this as attacking Android. But lets not confuse those people with the facts, ok?

Far more interesting would be a similar study with top-of-the-line Androids.

I agree, haven't seen anything like this yet.

Also, education levels doesn't = smarts or intelligence -only a certain aspect of it.

I said as much in my original post. That really depends on whether or not you equate "college degree" with "being smarter." But what's not open to debate is "college degree" = "higher lifetime earning potential." Even with the high unemployment and global recession, that hasn't changed with the possible exception of a few high-skill vocational trades. But even then, the adage applies: For every rule, there's an exception.

----------

It shows nothing of the sort. Android market share far exceeds iOS so there are more teens with Android devices. And more rich people and more poor people. The survey strangely indicates nobody under 18 has a smartphone.

Here's some current data to chew on for you....

comscore_iphone_demographics.jpg

comscore_android_demographics.jpg

Source: http://www.comscore.com/

There are other studies out there, just have to look for them. But this is also why more developers write for the iOS platform than they do for Android. More disposable income = more lucrative market segment. It really doesn't matter how many units Android sells...it matters how many of those users spend money beyond the initial phone purchase.

Finally, while I've no study to back this up, common sense tells me that wealthier people often don't have as much time to spend "fiddling" with their devices. Hobbyists notwithstanding, they just want a device to do whatever they want it to do. So for many, "more features" translates to "more fiddling" which is the opposite of what they want to do. They don't mind spending a premium to have someone else do their fiddling for them. The "less fiddling" part of the iOS experience is a big draw there. As every Android user knows, you can't really mod an iOS device without jailbreaking, and even then, its limited relative to an out-of-the-box Android experience. But to the affluent, that's just a waste of time and time = money. The affluent will easily trade money for time....that point has been proven for a millenia.

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Hmm it's adding up. I live in MD (dumb) but go on vacations to Vegas (dumb and expensive)... :)

My random unhelpful contribution to this thread: That UI makes me want to barf. What's with the stitched cowboy leather UI?

At the OP and relevant posts: This thread seems to be a case of trolling. :(

Renzatic

Suspended
The only reason I can think of why people write off the iPad 4/ iPad Mini so venomously is the simple fact that can't afford one.

Yeah, $499 and $329 respectively. My God, do they think we're all made out of money? Hell, I bet I'd have to donate plasma for, like, a month straight before I could afford the Mini!

Actually, the only thing that weirds me out is how everyone sold off their nearly brand new iPad 3s to get a 4. Not to say the 4 isn't a worthy upgrade, it's a pretty damn big speed bump, but you won't see many apps taking advantage of all that power until the iPad 5 shows up on the scene. I just don't see any reason to rush to the latest and greatest here.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Yeah, $499 and $329 respectively. My God, do they think we're all made out of money? Hell, I bet I'd have to donate plasma for, like, a month straight before I could afford the Mini!

Actually, the only thing that weirds me out is how everyone sold off their nearly brand new iPad 3s to get a 4. Not to say the 4 isn't a worthy upgrade, it's a pretty damn big speed bump, but you won't see many apps taking advantage of all that power until the iPad 5 shows up on the scene. I just don't see any reason to rush to the latest and greatest here.

Most people who already got the iPad 3 may just wait for the iPad 5.
In reality, it only makes more sense to upgrade for those with an iPad 1 or 2.

Releasing two models of iPad within the same year may have been a desperate move by Apple, trying to compete against the Windows RT tablet. Lets see how well the iPad 4 sells for the holidays.

I'm sure a lot of us are wondering if the next iPad will launch on Q1 2013, or if from now on all iPads will launch on Q4 every year.
Anybody has a clue about this?

Renzatic

Suspended
Most people who already got the iPad 3 may just wait for the iPad 5.
In reality, it only makes more sense to upgrade for those with an iPad 1 or 2.

Releasing two models of iPad within the same year may have been a desperate move by Apple, trying to compete against the Windows RT tablet. Lets see how well the iPad 4 sells for the holidays.

I'm sure a lot of us are wondering if the next iPad will launch on Q1 2013, or if from now on all iPads will launch on Q4 every year.
Anybody has a clue about this?

I'm thinking the whole reason they released the 4 early was because they wanted to get the iDevices in sync. The iPad is supposed to biggest and the best of the entire line, and having the phone outspec it 6 months out of the year doesn't make much sense. This way, they can debut them both at the same keynote.

If I'm right, we probably won't be seeing the next iPad until Q4 next year.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My random unhelpful contribution to this thread: That UI makes me want to barf. What's with the stitched cowboy leather UI?

At the OP and relevant posts: This thread seems to be a case of trolling. :(

It's find my friends app. To be honest I never really noticed until you pointed it out. But I agree its pretty bad lol.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I'm thinking the whole reason they released the 4 early was because they wanted to get the iDevices in sync. The iPad is supposed to biggest and the best of the entire line, and having the phone outspec it 6 months out of the year doesn't make much sense. This way, they can debut them both at the same keynote.

If I'm right, we probably won't be seeing the next iPad until Q4 next year.

You may be right about it, but I think SJ's idea was to have something new come out each quarter, not everything at once.
So lets say on Q4 new iPhone and new iPad comes in, now I'll have to chose between the two as I may only be able to afford one. So even if I wait 4 months to save up enough money to buy it, I may be willing to wait a few more months for the newer version to be release.

I think Apple is going to lose money by making the decision of synchronizing product launches as you mentioned above.

Even more, they may now have quarters with low revenue, which looks bad to investors. Someone at Apple may not be making the right decisions. SJ could see beyond the obvious, hence his sometimes called 'crazy' decisions, but in the end he was right.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines

Say, you are paying extra for the Mini's build quality compared to NX7's. Pretty sure everyone at NX7 forum complaining about screen lift, busted speakers, lcd displays, and not-so-responsive problems.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
The only reason I can think of why people write off the iPad 4/ iPad Mini so venomously is the simple fact that can't afford one.

Really? The only reason eh? How narrow minded of you. After paying bills and taxes I have £1,500 disposable income per month, I ditched my iPad and opted for a Nexus 7 and now I'm going to replace my iPhone 5 with the Nexus 4. The only Apple product is say I can't afford is the Mac Pro.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Really? The only reason eh? How narrow minded of you. After paying bills and taxes I have £1,500 disposable income per month, I ditched my iPad and opted for a Nexus 7 and now I'm going to replace my iPhone 5 with the Nexus 4. The only Apple product is say I can't afford is the Mac Pro.

There's one born every minute folks..

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
There's one born every minute folks..

I was never going to reply to this trollish thread, but you need a reality check;

Mate, you are from Wales. Why are you discussing anything related to money or wealth? You live in a subsidized, welfare state of England. By the way, iDevices are cheap and easy to buy. I choose not to buy an iPhone or iPad, because they are inferior. It's called using common sense.

You know there is another saying to go with your PT Barnum quote: "Don't throw stones in glass houses."

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Say, you are paying extra for the Mini's build quality compared to NX7's. Pretty sure everyone at NX7 forum complaining about screen lift, busted speakers, lcd displays, and not-so-responsive problems.
People generally post when they have problems. There are tons of people who don't that don't post. You can find the exact same kind of threads on here.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I was never going to reply to this trollish thread, but you need a reality check;

Mate, you are from Wales. Why are you discussing anything related to money or wealth? You live in a subsidized, welfare state of England. By the way, iDevices are cheap and easy to buy. I choose not to buy an iPhone or iPad, because they are inferior. It's called using common sense.

You know there is another saying to go with your PT Barnum quote: "Don't throw stones in glass houses."

You got to be kidding. Our housing and cost of living is far higher than the US, for those of us who work at least. :p

These statistics, are they showing how much people spend USING their devices?

Perhaps it's more down to security paranoia than real world expenditure. You can pretty much do anything secure with an iOS device and feel safe because of the nature of it. Where as many Android users understand things aren't so cut and dry.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

I'm from London chap... Nice rant though :)

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I work for a large travel company in the UK, looking at Google Analytics, the average spend on our website is really interesting.

Average spend per device on holidays/flights/booking:

iOS Phones: £352
iOS Tablets: £421
Android Phones: £188
Android Tablets £201

When you think about these statistics, and the amount of Android users that have to flood these forums with their need to compare and ridicule an inferior product, I don't find it surprising that the average iPad/iPhone user has more disposable income for holidays/luxury products.

I decided not to read through the whole forum here because I wanted to be sure of the context of your post. What I am getting from this is that Android/Google users are of lower income, which generally indicates that they have lesser paying jobs most likely due to lesser education. The fact that you heavily implied negative connotations about Android users and their posting habits (that you have gleaned from your wealth of personal knowledge), I can only ASSUME that you are saying that You are basing your opinion of android users based on assumed education level and spending habits combined with forum posts comparing tech products?

Simplified for you:
You don't find it surprising that based on people who spend less money on tech products come to apple forums to compare tech in a negative light (because face it, all people who don't buy Apple products are lesser beings and feel insecure about their purchases).

This post is so stupid on so many levels it isn't believable.

Were you aware that many self made millionaires are extremely FRUGAL in their spending. Yes some go for "the best, brightest etc". But in general people want more bang for their buck. I will also wager that NONE of these self made millionaires post in these forums.

I would wax on about this, but I somehow feel that I have already wasted my time, and that nothing I had to say would open your eyes and have you look at things in an unbiased way. Rather than that from a spoiled little boy or girl who has always had mum and dad buy them whatever they want or give them whatever they want when they need it.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
What's pretty clear from all the various Android market segmentation stats I've seen is that Android, by very nature of its design, attracts the majority of the "bottom dwellers" of the socioeconomic strata. When you are the default OS for anyone that wants to offer the cheapest product possible, that's just going to happen. So yes, when taken as a whole, the term "Android users" is rather misleading as there are those who chose premium Android devices, and those that chose el-cheapo models. Not sure I've seen any studies that do a better job of really breaking down the Android OS user demographic profiles, and every time someone dares mention the word "fragmentation" on this particular sub-forum, they get their head bit off by those who see this as attacking Android. But lets not confuse those people with the facts, ok?

I agree, haven't seen anything like this yet.

I said as much in my original post. That really depends on whether or not you equate "college degree" with "being smarter." But what's not open to debate is "college degree" = "higher lifetime earning potential." Even with the high unemployment and global recession, that hasn't changed with the possible exception of a few high-skill vocational trades. But even then, the adage applies: For every rule, there's an exception.

----------

Here's some current data to chew on for you....

Source: http://www.comscore.com/

There are other studies out there, just have to look for them. But this is also why more developers write for the iOS platform than they do for Android. More disposable income = more lucrative market segment. It really doesn't matter how many units Android sells...it matters how many of those users spend money beyond the initial phone purchase.

Finally, while I've no study to back this up, common sense tells me that wealthier people often don't have as much time to spend "fiddling" with their devices. Hobbyists notwithstanding, they just want a device to do whatever they want it to do. So for many, "more features" translates to "more fiddling" which is the opposite of what they want to do. They don't mind spending a premium to have someone else do their fiddling for them. The "less fiddling" part of the iOS experience is a big draw there. As every Android user knows, you can't really mod an iOS device without jailbreaking, and even then, its limited relative to an out-of-the-box Android experience. But to the affluent, that's just a waste of time and time = money. The affluent will easily trade money for time....that point has been proven for a millenia.

I think that out of all of this text posted, I still remain gently offended by the "bottom feeder" term you used. Just because people have less income or less education, does not mean that they are not validly contributing to society in some way. Yes there are the criminals etc or people who based on poor decisions in life are trapped in the true "bottom feeder" category I would deem bottom feeders as criminals, beggers, and generally people who are not paying taxes but are benefitting from welfare and government support (welfare anyone?), but I highly doubt that there is an instinctual gravitational pull of these people towards Android phones and I would like to see valid stats proving that theory you just spit out. Also a clarification of "bottom feeders".

*edit exchange bottom dwellers for bottom feeders. I assume you mean the same thing? If not the clarification is still desired.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
This post is so stupid on so many levels it isn't believable.

It's hilarious!

We have a mild joke amongst colleagues that you must give up your engineers badge when you buy an iphone...

It's just that though, a joke. Everyone lighten up, it's nearly Christmas :D

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I think that out of all of this text posted, I still remain gently offended by the "bottom feeder" term you used. Just because people have less income or less education, does not mean that they are not validly contributing to society in some way. Yes there are the criminals etc or people who based on poor decisions in life are trapped in the true "bottom feeder" category I would deem bottom feeders as criminals, beggers, and generally people who are not paying taxes but are benefitting from welfare and government support (welfare anyone?), but I highly doubt that there is an instinctual gravitational pull of these people towards Android phones and I would like to see valid stats proving that theory you just spit out. Also a clarification of "bottom feeders".

*edit exchange bottom dwellers for bottom feeders. I assume you mean the same thing? If not the clarification is still desired.

"Bottom Feeder" means the extreme low end of the smartphone device pool. I'm referring to the very large number of extremely cheap/free smartphones available for new cell contracts/upgrades. It's not a reference to the users other than those that don't really care about the smartphone at all other than they need a cheap replacement for their flip/feature phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.