Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
The mini is a nice device if you really need the portability. Otherwise it's just a shrunken 2!

The 2 is still the best value iPad, but if you need the retina or CPU power the 4 is the way to go. I have both and still prefer the 2.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I wonder sometimes if "retina" is a double edged sword. It's a great marketing term. It's raised awareness of quality of screen and ppi. But it also trivializes things like resolution.

2048 x 1536. 9.7" That's still amazing. Overall, still one of the best screens you'll own or have used. This is why you get an ipad 4 (or 3). Forget if it might be faster. This is eye candy as its current finest.
This is so well stated.

I personally feel like the mini is a waste of money. It is, without a doubt in my mind, the worst product Apple has released in the iPhone era.

The screen on the mini is Terrible with a capital T. I truly believe that anyone who says that the mini screen is good are either trying to justify their purchase or don't have very good eye sight.

iFreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I agree, when I was in store I still wasn't even sure then!

Had a look at the Mini and then at the 4, was a no brainer..

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This is so well stated.

I personally feel like the mini is a waste of money. It is, without a doubt in my mind, the worst product Apple has released in the iPhone era.

The screen on the mini is Terrible with a capital T. I truly believe that anyone who says that the mini screen is good are either trying to justify their purchase or don't have very good eye sight.

The screen on the mini is certainly not terrible. It's obviously not as good as a retina, but far from terrible. My eyesight is very good and I have no need to justify my purchase. You want to see a terrible screen, then look at the original Motorola Xoom... Now THAT'S a terrible screen!

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
This is so well stated.

Absolutely agree. But for whatever reason, there's many out there oblivious or just don't care. If there's so many roaming the tech forums that don't mind the fuzzy screen, imagine the mainstream. If I was Apple, I'd milk the nonretina Mini for as long as possible.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

No offense but that's your opinion. Given the lack of inventory, it seems you may be in the minority as well.

The Mini is a great product that fits a need for me, the screen is not terrible and I have no need to try to justify my purchase. I'm incredibly happy with the purchase and the screen is fine. While you may think its the worst product apple released many consumers do not feel that way.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
No offense but that's your opinion. Given the lack of inventory, it seems you may be in the minority as well.

The Mini is a great product that fits a need for me, the screen is not terrible and I have no need to try to justify my purchase. I'm incredibly happy with the purchase and the screen is fine. While you may think its the worst product apple released many consumers do not feel that way.

The techies or power (advanced, experienced, take your pick) users are always in the minority. No doubt, it's a mainstream product as most Apple products are these days. The fact it's flying off shelves is due to the lower price of entry.

Even forums like this have hit the mainstream in a way. It's not like it was years ago where smartphone users were mostly professionals or more hard core users. Today, you have to filter out a lot of posts wondering what color they should get for example.

Just some perspective. Quality screens have always been a want for me. The Treo 300 was my first smartphone. I jumped to the Treo 600 when it basically doubled the resolution (these were the best at the time). Apple outdid everyone with the first iphone with its amazing screen. Palm actually jumped back ahead with the Pre with its slightly sharper screen for a time (and better text rendering IMO). But the iphone 3GS was just too fast and lightyears better in other ways and kept me.

But apple went full steam ahead after that with a shocking retina iphone and even more incredible retina ipad.

In that regard, it's just hard to fall back to the Mini. Obviously i am in the minority. For those millions of mainstream users, the screen will look fine. Just like it did a few years ago. These are the same ones who bit on the bigger android phones that started out low res. Bigger screen > quality for them.

iFreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I am genuinely thinking this morning about returning this 4 to get a Mini, I find it just as clunky etc to carry about as I did with my iPad1.

I use for Podcasting so think I made the wrong choice as the Mini is obvs more portable I was just worried if the Podcasting would run as smooth on the Mini as on the 4 as I have no idea or clue in regards to processors etc that's not my thing I don't understand all that side of things, think I'm still in a pickle to be honest haha :confused:

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I am genuinely thinking this morning about returning this 4 to get a Mini, I find it just as clunky etc to carry about as I did with my iPad1.

I use for Podcasting so think I made the wrong choice as the Mini is obvs more portable I was just worried if the Podcasting would run as smooth on the Mini as on the 4 as I have no idea or clue in regards to processors etc that's not my thing I don't understand all that side of things, think I'm still in a pickle to be honest haha :confused:

I believe the mini has the same processor as the iPad 2, so if you could run podcasting apps on an iPad 1, they should be fine on the mini.

iFreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Thx stickybuns.

The other problem I have and I am not sure if anyone can confirm the situation, the old camera connection kit you could add ANY USB device to it like a USB microphone etc, is the new camera connection kit still able to do this on the Mini? or have they restricted it. (It is fine on the 4)

Last edited:

rangers12

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009

Let us know what you decide- I am trying to decide now between the 4 and the mini- I also have a 1G Ipad. I just wonder if the smaller size will be better for playing games- I find the original ipad a bit cumbersome for playing. That being said, 90% of what I do is watch movies, surf and read books.

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I had an iPad 1 and since it launched I have the iPad 3. Just today I saw for the first time the mini in the store and I was greatly impressed. It is SO much lighter and thinner and the screen seemed great. You should try both and then decide.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I have in front of me both a mini and an iPad 4 and I honestly can tell you it's one of the hardest decisions I've made when it comes to mobile devices. They're both great but I will say that if the iPad 5 comes out with a lighter (less than 1lb) design and smaller bezel and thinner form factor I would definitely get it over a mini. For now I'm probly going to go with a mini + iPad 3 setup. I will use the 4 for a few more days and decide and keep you updated.

Soo what did you decide?

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I went into the Apple store today after some sale shopping and used the iPad Mini for the first time. I have to say, seriously considering returning the iPad 4 for the Mini. Feeling very fickle at the moment, because I've already returned the iPad 4 once for a different configuration. But from using it for a week, I've noticed that I tend to chill out reading stuff on the couch/in bed and some light gaming (Where's My Water style - simple minds...). For this, it's a little overkill.

Only thing stopping me at the minute is the standard definition screen. But if they did release an upgrade to retina in March, would I really upgrade? Probably not. To the people with a Mini, how does it perform for games and general usage? Noticed any lags or problems? What's your battery usage like?

johntom2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Pikeville, Ky
Will the iPad4 prices drops If the iPad5 comes out in March?

Should I wait till the iPad 4 prices drop? The only thing I am hearing about the iPad 5 is smaller and thinner and it has the same specs as the iPad 4.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Forget the 4. Big heavy chunky lump of an iPad. Wait and get the 5.

Forget the mini as well and get and get a Kindle Fire HD. Much better piece of kit.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Or we just have different priorities.

I had a 3 and returned it to get the Mini. My eyesight is better than 20/10. Last time I had an eye check I read the entire chart. The technician got all excited and ran out of the room to tell everyone. Apparently I was the first to do that.

Of course the Retina iPad looks better. But when small, light, and portable are top priorities, and the screen only has to be good enough, the Mini is the right choice.

At this time last year the iPad 2 was the best screen you could get in an iPad. It has lower DPI than the Mini. Only one year ago and nobody considered the screen to be unacceptable garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.