Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
The screen looks great, honestly. I have no complaints. Whenever this goes Retina, people will be complaining about how it's not as light and how it runs warmer. Can't win with the whiners.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Same here. Looking at my iPhone 5 and then this is making me cringe a bit.

I'm going to read with it tonight to see if it's a better experience than my ipad 3.

The screen is good for games, movies, photos.. but reading is what I'm most bugged about. I feel my eyesight is worse. lol

I don't know if it's not as bright or what but it looks worse than my iPad 2. The form factor is amazing.

leonw

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
at home
Who knows. But, I'll be able to use this one until then.

I'll probably keep the first gen and give it to my 2.5 year old. :p

Well, I can forget about yours then. Have to stick with my first gen ipad til I'll be young enough to get my own mini...

Last edited:

velleity

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
I'm in love with the form factor, but after using it all day I do notice the screen resolution. Then again, I am coming from the rMBP and switch back and forth between the two devices.

I notice reading in the Kindle app is harder - the text is smaller, and though my eyes are good it's a bit of a strain.

I will say that the iPad 2 feels like a brick now. This feels like a revelation in the same way the original iPad felt like a revelation - heck, typing on it is a million times easier - but I'm really looking forward to retina. Those of you not spoiled by retina screens already probably won't notice :p

tbk3191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Smart cover is a bit disappointing. Doesn't stick to the iPad like it did with my iPad 2. If you hold the iPad upside down, the center of the cover droops downward. Not cool. Guess they didn't add as many magnets or something.

Other than that, it's all good for me.

I don't really like the Smart Cover either. I wish it had the metal hinge the like other one. It also seems like one millimeter too large for the top and just barely goes over the screen. For some reason, that really bothers me. It also seems flimsier when it's attached to the back. It slides up and down.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
I wish I could bash at this thing: "the screen sucks", "the battery is a joke", "the graphics are bad"...

...But I just love this thing...

The only thing I can criticize is the Smart Cover though, doesn't feel secure compared to the previous models. It also sometimes have a hard time properly aligning itself with the device...

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Picked up the 32GB White LTE tonight, which besides the Size, having LTE is the feature that pushed me.

I sent numerous feedbacks to Apple since the original iPad, asking for a Video Playlist. Basically, give me Videos' Control/UI like on the iPhone/touch. I don't need to Select a Title twice just to play it, the first tells me the Details/Specs.

android has spoiled me, a few years ago I was happy watching Videos on my iPod nano, now I'm not even satisfied with the 4" touch.

I love Mac (iMac, Air) but their iOS is slipping, if I didn't rely on iTunes to access my (protected) Purchases I would drop iPhone/iPod and just use my Note 2.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
But all in all I'm really loving this thing. I actually wouldn't swap it for a iPad 4 because the weight difference is more important to me than the retina screen does.

Yeah, same here.

Also, the weight of the iPad 4 is so heavy. I don't know how people hold those things up!

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
First of all, I really like this product. I like the size and portability of it, most of all. The back slate looks sweet, too. One thing I don't really like is where the glass display meets the metal backing. On mine, there seems to be a gap thats already full of lint and dust. That's kind of annoying. I'm sure once I start playing with it more I'll find some other disappointments. To me, the display is not holding it back. I have an iPad 3 and it's not as sharp, but not unacceptable.

I don't like how it's newer than my iPhone 5, but slower :( wish it had the A6....

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have an iPad 3, iPhone 5 and iPad mini. I've had retina devices since they've been released. Having used my mini since I got it 4 days ago, I can say that the screen is very good. Yeah, if I go back to the 3, it's obviously not as good as that, but reading ebooks, mail etc etc, from 18" to 24" away, it only takes a minute to adjust to it and then I forget about retina. My car isn't a Ferrari, but it doesn't make it any less useful for getting to the places I need to. If you want a mini, GO LOOK FOR YOURSELF. Don't ask opinions, you'll get head fecked!

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
One mans adjustment, is another mans strain. At the end of the day, there's nothing actually 'wrong' with any iPad. Just features vs uses.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
honestly if they would have rolled the mini out before the 3 it would have been no contest, the mini would have taken the market by a larger margin than it has, i really like the mini and my only complaint is that the back feels slippery and before i skinned it i always felt that it would slip outta my hands

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I sold my 3 to buy a mini soon after they came out. The screen really isn't a big deal for me - I'm 23 with perfect sight, but it just doesn't seem that bad, even having come from an iPad with a retina display. As far as complaints go, there's nothing major. I truly enjoy this device, and see myself keeping it for a good, long while to come. But anyway, on to the whining :p

There is a small gap between the glass and metal edge. Nothing huge, but it's visible.

I really wish that there were an A6 in here instead of the A5. It's no hindrance today, but I keep my devices forever and I'm hoping that it won't be an issue in two years or so. We'll see.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I havn't opened it, I can't believe everyone is opening their's, it's not Christmas day yet, just wait will you?

I'm just looking at a picture and pretending to use it, ooh there's a scratch! should I return the picture?...hmmmmm

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Web browsing primarily but I kind of customized by just going landscape, using a different browser for portrait,and accessing primarily the mobile version of a site where applicable. Tapatalk has helped with forums but not every website is on board with that app.

Covers? Well there are plenty of good suggestions on the accessories forum.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Just a little regret that I didn't get the LTE version. Otherwise its pretty damn good for my uses.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Besides the crap screen resolution, the glass feels a little plasticky be the normal iPad which feels a little more "quality" ?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just got mine setup and have been using it for about an hour. I love the style, size & weight. The only thing I'm not overly thrilled about is the screen. That's the compromise for the mini IMO. Don't get me wrong....the screen is really nice....just below the current standards. I still see the same "fuzziness" on text when viewing web pages in portrait mode as I did with the iPad 2! That being said, the screen is acceptable for me! I've got the iPad 4 arriving this afternoon....my other option....it should be a fun comparison test!

Btw....the "Product Red" Smart Cover looks great on the black mini. Very cool combo! I also wanted to mention that there was absolutely no lineup at the Apple store (Perimeter Mall, Atlanta) at 10:15 his morning. I waltzed in and picked up a black one on the spot....they had all 3 sizes in stock! The Apple employee assigned to control the lines outside the store looked bit panic struck...by the lack of crowd!

Funny thing about that particular apple store....it never seems to get hit really hard. I had some employees tell me the day of the 5 launch there was no line when they first opened.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
The camera - No HDR...No Panorama

----------

2) The back is incredibly slippery. Ive got an invisible shield coming in soon though so no worries

I have the clear matt Ghost Armor on mine and it's fantastic! Great grip and it looks awesome!

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
The Apple Map app.

I really like everything about the mini. The size and form work well.

Now give me back Google Maps!

FWIW
DLM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.