Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bac3bac0mm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
i have tried to install win 2008 server x64 standard on mac mini, my steps are as following:

1. add a partition using the partition tool provided by max os
2. reboot, insert window 2008 server dvd
3. press c to boot with the dvd
4. there are four partitions i saw in window installer
- boot partition
- mac partition
- mac recovery partition (6XX mb)
- the newly formatted partition

but finally i can't install the window on newly formatted partition, the error message is "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

Anyone knows how to solve the problem?

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
but finally i can't install the window on newly formatted partition, the error message is "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

Anyone knows how to solve the problem?

Like it's been said, I think you should try to use Boot Camp to setup the OS instead of just the disk utility.

When you use Boot Camp it's emulates a BIOS lauyer, it's not installed via EFI as you are trying to do. So I think the error is related to this.

if you want to install without the emulated BIOS, refer to this thread:
Win7 x64 booting natively via EFI (no bios emulation)

Last edited:

bac3bac0mm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Dear all,

I successfully installed windows 2008 server, but there several problems.

1) when i restart, it automatically boot to window, how do i enable the boot menu, i want to enter mac os

2) where can i find the drivers? lan, audio, usb all driver the windows don't have.

thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I successfully installed windows 2008 server, but there several problems.

1) when i restart, it automatically boot to window, how do i enable the boot menu, i want to enter mac os

2) where can i find the drivers? lan, audio, usb all driver the windows don't have.

1) What happens when you hold the Alt/Option key at boot? Anything?

2) All the Windows drivers are in a package that is downloaded by Boot Camp Assistant in recent versions of OS X.

B

bac3bac0mm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
1) still boot into the windows server

2) have to login mac os first to download

i'll try to use some boot menu software in windows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.