Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
And you think that hosting space, update pushing, and bandwidth is free? Feel free to host MS's apps on your own equipment for free then.

I imagine the bandwidth and hosting space requirements for the SkyDrive app in the App Store are about 0% of those required for running SkyDrive.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
The fix is pretty simple. Microsoft can remove the service from Apple's app store, and focus soley on Android devices. Or they can heed to Apple's demands and pay the 30% in royalties to Apple. It's a fact, The App Store is owned by Apple, so Apple can charge whatever they want, if 3rd parties choose to go through their system. Nobody is forcing Microsoft to sell SkyDrive through Apples app store.

:) :) :) :)

Or there is the other option which is to remove the in app payment and sign up functionality like DropBox did then the app would get approved. Not being able to pay for the service using the phone app is no big deal imo.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Apple generally tries to do things to create a consistent and smooth user experience, but this whole subscription thing is just awful and always has been. Every app that has some subscription service that doesn't want to use Apple's system has to work around it and it just makes a huge mess for everyone.

Yep, but allowing every app to peddle its own subscription service and marketplace and whatever crap else is also a big nightmare for everyone, perhaps even a bigger one. At least, for the majority of apps, one password suffices.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
The report claims that Microsoft has offered to remove the subscription options from the SkyDrive app, but Apple has still declined to allow updates to the app. It is unclear why Apple would have refused such an offer, as many similar apps such as Dropbox operate under this model.

Or there is the other option which is to remove the in app payment and sign up functionality like DropBox did then the app would get approved. Not being able to pay for the service using the phone app is no big deal imo.

It reads to me like MS has already offered to do this

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Everyone is missing the big picture

The more you rely on others for your services, the more you get screwed.

In a fight between two companies, you might not be the target but you still suffer collateral damage.

Host your own website. In the process you get your own email addresses and your own FTP accounts.

I just wish people would add regular FTP as an additional option to all the iCloud and DropBox craziness.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
If microsoft want a product on iOS then yes, microsoft are being forced to use Apple's app store. It is a black and white issue.

No, Microsoft needs to decide whether their app is a free convenience for its SkyDrive subscribers, or whether the app is a free advertisement for its SkyDrive service. I suspect they're hoping for the latter, but Apple aren't going to give them a free platform.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
And so the role reversal of these two is complete, Apple is the corporate Juggernaut, throwing its weight around and making unreasonable demands and being an ass and Microsoft is the amicable, easy going, reasonable company.

Seriously, i use skydrive a LOT , mostly due to the fact it works through the corporate firewall where dropbox doesn't, to not have skydrive on an iOS device going forward would mean i will be stuck with a crappy android phone for ANOTHER two years (I HATE android OS, but i love some of the android only apps).

I am hoping Apple will pull its rod out of its ass and relax a little on this, preferable before i need to look at a new phone next year, i am hoping to go from my Samsung Galaxy S2 to an iPhone 5S, but its looking like an S3 or Note 2 might be on the cards

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

No.

Bold text should be the sub-title of the article

"The report claims that Microsoft has offered to remove the subscription options from the SkyDrive app, but Apple has still declined to allow updates to the app.It is unclear why Apple would have refused such an offer, as many similar apps such as Dropbox operate under this model."

...but then nobody here would want to read it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16466788/

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Don't care whose playing good guy bad guy here, but if Microsoft wins, I too want the same terms to apply for my app. My IAP has nothing to do with App Store, and my app is also a cloud based service.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
A retail store differs from a digital store.

Ummm... the App Store is a retail store even though it is digital.

Apple wanting a 30% cut for services that never touch their (Apple's ) servers is taking the p!ss.

Again, we did the exact same thing. We sold third party services. We did nothing but the transaction. We received a commission. Often more than 30%.

Commissions for referrals are a completely normal business transaction. Pretending its not in order to generate faux outrage is either myopic or disingenuous.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Don't care whose playing good guy bad guy here, but if Microsoft wins, I too want the same terms to apply for my app. My IAP has nothing to do with App Store, and my app is also a cloud based service.

in what way would you want the same

do you want to remove your cloud subscription info and have apple accept the app?

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
And history repeats itself

Apple seems to forget that it needs Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't 'need' Apple, but they are smart enough to keep Office for Mac development going and if rumours are true to be developing Office for iPad. However as more and more people are using Apple, Office is a must for Apple. I would go as far as saying they should get closer to Microsoft and even let them have in-app subscriptions without taking any cut if they can persuade Microsoft to develop Visio and Project for Mac.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
A retail store differs from a digital store, given your example.

Apple wanting a 30% cut for services that never touch their (Apple's ) servers is taking the p!ss. Its basically free money for Apple. The product seller gave apple its $99 charge that is required for AppStore commission.

For example, Best Buy don't take commission for all future MMO game subscriptions when that product was purchased at its store.

NO, they just add 50% on top of the price they paid for it BEFORE selling it to you.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
If microsoft want a product on iOS then yes, microsoft are being forced to use Apple's app store. It is a black and white issue.

Computing used to be open, it is now going back to closed platforms where the O/S owner controls more and more of what content is allowed. That is a shame.

Quoted for Truth

Oh, what iOS could be if Apple loosened the noose a little bit :(

Seriously, Android would have no chance.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I'd rather be on a site that would report all rumors, even that bash Apple when Apple is in the wrong, than a site that only posts positive articles on Apple (i.e. DaringFireball).

You should try reading John Gruber's Daring Fireball. It routinely posts things that are critical of Apple. I'm not sure what "DaringFireball" is but clearly it's not the same site I look at every day.

(Edit: Oh maybe we are talking about the same site. Look how Gruber only posts positive things about Apple. He should be ashamed.)

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I wonder if this will screw with any Office 365 integration in any future offerings of Office on iOS and iPad?

I can't see Microsoft wanting to give up 30% of their subscription income with that one either.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The app store is a cancer on Apple. It's poisonous to the company.

It makes them a censor of free press. It makes them judge other people's sexuality. It makes them protect inferior software of theirs over better third party alternatives. It makes them greedy and stupid and slow. It makes iOS devices worse than they would otherwise be, in an attempt to claim money that Apple has no moral claim on.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Quoted for Truth

Oh, what iOS could be if Apple loosened the noose a little bit :(

Seriously, Android would have no chance.

There will always be iOS lovers/haters and Android lovers/haters. Even if Apple clearly beat the hell out of Android there would still be a lot of people using Android just to spite.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The app store is a cancer on Apple. It's poisonous to the company.

It makes them a censor of free press. It makes them judge other people's sexuality. It makes them protect inferior software of theirs over better third party alternatives. It makes them greedy and stupid and slow. It makes iOS devices worse than they would otherwise be, in an attempt to claim money that Apple has no moral claim on.

And apparently it makes some people completely irrational. :rolleyes:

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Apple seems to forget that it needs Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't 'need' Apple, but they are smart enough to keep Office for Mac development going and if rumours are true to be developing Office for iPad. However as more and more people are using Apple, Office is a must for Apple. I would go as far as saying they should get closer to Microsoft and even let them have in-app subscriptions without taking any cut if they can persuade Microsoft to develop Visio and Project for Mac.

Needs them how? There are MANY alternatives to OFFICE. Office is bloatware. Most users don't use 90% of the "features", so there are many alternatives.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
:confused: When I ran a retail store, we charged a commission when we sold third-party services. Nobody thought this was strange or childish.

Say you work for Gamestop and someone bought a copy of World of Warcraft, should Blizzard have to pay 30% of each monthly subscription charge to Gamestop?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
There will always be iOS lovers/haters and Android lovers/haters. Even if Apple clearly beat the hell out of Android there would still be a lot of people using Android just to spite.

Of course, but I can't see how opening up iOS a bit wouldn't be popular.

The only party that it would effect negatively is Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.