Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedi74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
so if i take it to the genius bar do i have to "prove" this to them to get a replacement? i was talking to my fiance last night and the phone was so hot it was uncomfortable to hold.

how can apple verify this problem? i am afraid they will turn me away.....

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
so if i take it to the genius bar do i have to "prove" this to them to get a replacement? i was talking to my fiance last night and the phone was so hot it was uncomfortable to hold.

What do you keep your brightness set at?

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Its probably just the battery getting warm just like all iphones do. They will probably tell you its normal.

or tell you to hold it differently.. lol

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
pretty low. but shouldn't i be able to set it at whatever level i want anyway? the phone doesn't light up when i hold it to my ear.....

When you hold it to your ear when talking to someone the backlight is supposed to shut off. If you're not in a call bringing it to your ear will activate siri unless you disable it in the settings menu.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
How long where you on the phone?
The i5 does get hot when used a lot or under intense CPU/GPU usage. And also the metal back spreads the heat and it gets more noticeable than all previous models.

ferganer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
My experience has been opposite. I got my first ever iPhone today from Best Buy. Played with configurations and whatnot. Browsed the web. And made a very long call (about 50 min). My iPhone stayed cool all the time.

Before, I had the LG Optimus G for a couple of weeks. Great phone, but a bit too large (wide) for my tastes.

Anyway, the biggest problems was that the LG would turn quite warm if you did anything that uses the CPU. E.g. it would get noticeably warm after only a minute or two of browsing the web. Besides, it would drain 20-30% of its huge battery in just an hour if you actually using the phone (other than calling). But the standby on it was absolutely greatest (2% overnight).

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
make sure to kill all running apps when not in use

You don't have to do this OP.

Just go to apple tell them it's having heating problems. If you really want a exchange tell them you did a full restore and it didn't help or just try the full restore first it might save you the trip to apple.

Good luck!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
my iphone 5 gets really hot
What are the actual temps? "Really hot" doesn't mean anything by itself and, as stated above, heat could be normal. It really depends on what the phone was doing at the time.

Genius Bar can definitely test for hardware issues. Make sure it's not a matter of usage.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Every phone I've ever owned gets hot in poor signal areas due to heave radio use and battery drain. Is this a possibility?

The phone getting hot isn't automatically a defect.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Running apps trying to constantly make a data connection can heat up the battery big time. When I run Waze in the car, the phone gets to damn hot you can barely hold on to it. If it's not plugged in, I can watch the battery % drop.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Maybe you were having a naughty call and holding the phone too tightly? :D

Warm normal, hot not normal. Warm = u use it as a hand warmer during cold days. Hot = burn sensation, like immediately digging into a just microwaved TV dinner.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
My brother was having this issue on his 4S. His phone was getting (and staying) super hot even when not in use. This was killing his battery life as well (as you can imagine).

We brought it in and they ran diagnostics on it. It checked out that his phone was actually getting too hot. They then took it to the back to visually check and found nothing but replaced the phone anyway because there was obviously an issue and it was a dangerous one. They said it was probably some hardware failure but wasn't sure what exactly.

My advice; bring it in and have Apple check it out.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007

My second Verizon IPhone 5 got hot and had slow data speeds. I called Support they walked me through carrier settings etc and then made notes. I went to a Verizon store and returned it after they read the notes on my account.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
My phone gets hot when I'm driving with it plugged into the car charger with waze GPS on and talking on the phone. It even stops charging. I'm not too shocked, that's a lot of usage.. provided the signal is also probably bouncing up and down while on the highway

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
My first iphone 5 got really hot on back but since I had it replaced due to dirt behind the camera lens, my new one don't get hot at all. it was 2 months old, a launch phone. Seems apple corrected the mistake.

ranaumar92

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
my iphone 5 ios6.0.2 get too hot while gaming

hello guys yesterday i have downloaded two new games in my iPhone 5:apple:
infinity blade 2 of 1.3 GB
And Injustice of 818MB
now when i play infinity blade 2 for about 30mins its not get too hot slightly hot which i feel but on other hand when i play injustice for 10mins in iPhone 5 its get too much burning hot but no notification of overheating etc :mad:
is that normal heating or is there any app to moniter iphone inside temp.. like android

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.