Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xEnOnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
I am planning to buy an iPad Mini this holiday, but have also read from many other posts on this forum that the iPad Mini 2 is likely going to be released in April during WWDC.

Suppose if I have bought the iPad Mini and the iPad Mini 2 really did come to the stores in April with Retina display, I would be very very tempted to get the iPad Mini 2 because intend to use iPad Mini mainly as an eReader, and the Retina will be good.

Then here's the thing: What are some of the ways people cash back from their earlier version of iPads? Hopefully to mitigate the damage from getting the newer iPad.

I know we could sell it someone, but it isn't easy. Often by that time, the iPad already has no more warranty and the condition is hardly close to perfect. I have to sell it at a price, which isn't worth selling, to attract buyers, or I risk not finding buyers. Also, I believe people are likelier to buy the new iPads from Apple. Apple doesn't allow trade-ins either.

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
I use gazelle.com. Probably don't get as much as you would from a private sale but it is incredibly simple and hassle free.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You're gonna take a hit no matter what way you sell it. The safest and easist are buying services like nehope mentioned--but you typically get the least amount of money from them. They are in the business of reselling your iPad, so you have to leave a little meat on the bone so *they* can make a profit.

However, I've always had good luck with craigslist. No one gets a commission, all cash and generally you get a higher price. The downside to craigslist is that you have to use common sense when making a deal. Meet in person, cash only (make sure the cash isn't counterfeit), public place like a coffee shop or better yet a bank. To be extra cautious, try to make sure you aren't situated close to a door in case the person wants to bolt with your iPad. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem.

xEnOnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Lots of people sell their old stuff on Craigslist or eBay.

But I notice not many would buy the second hand iPads unless the price is low enough, perhaps like the prices gazelle.com offers. If iPad Mini 2 comes out in April, my iPad Mini is probably going to be just 5 months old and I have to sell them way below half the price I bought it so that people would buy? :(

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Setting up a seller account with amazon has been good for me. They take a nice cut but i ALWAYS make more than gazelle and if priced right (comparable to the lowest price used) i sell very fast.

I usually put items up there and CL at the same rime and remove the listings once it sells.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Ive had the best luck and get a higher resale value from ebay than anywhere else. The trick is keeping all of your original packaging (even the plastic), try to keep the accessories ununused (probably not as easy now since switching to the lightning cable but I always had another charger and chord around so I didnt have to open the ones in the box), and keep your device in as great as shape as possible. The second part of the trick is when to sell it. If you keep up with tech news, you'll know when Apple is going to release a new version. If you can sell your current gen iDevice a week or so before the announcement, you'll get more. The closer you do it to the release date of the newer model, the less you'll get.

The reason I hate using Craigslist, is because my ads always get flagged. People want to pay bottom dollar prices for stuff on Craigslist and if they think your price is too high, they'll flag it. After a while, the ad gets taken down. Or people who are selling their iDevice will keep flagging your ad so their's gets seen.

Gazelle is good but they also keep an eye on tech news so the closer you get to an announcement or release date, the less you'll get.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I am planning to buy an iPad Mini this holiday, but have also read from many other posts on this forum that the iPad Mini 2 is likely going to be released in April during WWDC.

Suppose if I have bought the iPad Mini and the iPad Mini 2 really did come to the stores in April with Retina display, I would be very very tempted to get the iPad Mini 2 because intend to use iPad Mini mainly as an eReader, and the Retina will be good.

Then here's the thing: What are some of the ways people cash back from their earlier version of iPads? Hopefully to mitigate the damage from getting the newer iPad.

I know we could sell it someone, but it isn't easy. Often by that time, the iPad already has no more warranty and the condition is hardly close to perfect. I have to sell it at a price, which isn't worth selling, to attract buyers, or I risk not finding buyers. Also, I believe people are likelier to buy the new iPads from Apple. Apple doesn't allow trade-ins either.

Well, there's always Apple's recycle service. A 16 GB iPad 3 in mint condition will give you a $200 gift card (40% of original value). I think that for an iPad mini, they'll offer about $130 (also 40%).

You could also sell them secondhand.

And WWDC usually takes place in June, not April.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Local sales for me are the way to go. Sold a bunch of my old devices to upgrade to the new ones. Realistically for an older device (1-2 years) if you can get more than half of what it originally cost, then that's a reasonable deal. Obviously I'd always shoot for higher, but if it really came down to it, and depending on how old the device is, I'd be pretty happy with half.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
kijiji. I don't trust eBay (shipping), prefer meeting up and I dropped Craigslist for over a year now since there's to many Scam/Spam.

Just traded my 32GB iPad 3 LTE last night for 16 iPad 2 Wi-Fi plus $140, I rarely use it since I can't take it with me. I gave the iPad 2 to my sister and used the money to buy my White 32GB mini LTE.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
But I notice not many would buy the second hand iPads unless the price is low enough, perhaps like the prices gazelle.com offers. If iPad Mini 2 comes out in April, my iPad Mini is probably going to be just 5 months old and I have to sell them way below half the price I bought it so that people would buy? :(

Yes, well that has to do with the local demand. If you find that the asking price is too low on craigslist in your area and that gazelle is better--then go with them.

If you wait for a retina mini to come out then the price for your non-retina mini will be lower at that point. I'm not sure it will be half the price though.

Keep in mind, no one knows for sure that a new mini will arrive in April and if it does -- no one knows for sure whether it will have a retina display. It sounds like getting an iPad mini now will be an expensive stop gap measure for you.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Local sales for me are the way to go. Sold a bunch of my old devices to upgrade to the new ones. Realistically for an older device (1-2 years) if you can get more than half of what it originally cost, then that's a reasonable deal. Obviously I'd always shoot for higher, but if it really came down to it, and depending on how old the device is, I'd be pretty happy with half.

Getting half of what you paid is reasonable to you? Not me. I was able to sell my iPad 3 + Cellular 16GB AT&T for $460 a few weeks AFTER the mini and 4 were released on eBay. If you know how not to get scammed and burned, then eBay is the best way to sell it.

Local sales can be sketchy with iDevices since they are so popular. You never know if you if someone is going to try and rob you This is from personal experience. The robber pulled out a knife, I simply lifted my shirt to show my legally concealed and registered .45. Needless to say, I didn't get ripped off. Though it was kinda cool being able to say, "Shouldn't have brought a knife to a gun fight." Since then its been nothing but eBay for iDevices for me.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Local sales can be sketchy with iDevices since they are so popular. You never know if you if someone is going to try and rob you This is from personal experience. The robber pulled out a knife, I simply lifted my shirt to show my legally concealed and registered .45. Needless to say, I didn't get ripped off. Though it was kinda cool being able to say, "Shouldn't have brought a knife to a gun fight." Since then its been nothing but eBay for iDevices for me.

Yikes. May I ask where this occurred?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

I checked both gazelle and Amazon trade-in. Gazelle only offered me $300 for my iPad, and Amazon offered me $500, so I obviously went with Amazon. The only downside is that they only offer you a Amazon gift card.... but I use Amazon for almost everything so it works out well for me. :apple:

xEnOnn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
It sounds like getting an iPad mini now will be an expensive stop gap measure for you.

Indeed, buying an iPad Mini now feels like an expensive stopgap. This is the reason why I asked for ideas on how I could cash back if I ever buy.

Seriously, I am still thinking very hard if I should buy an iPad Mini now since I use it only for reading and I'm not even sure if I'll be used to a non-retina screen given that I have been using retina screens for so long. Like you said, it is an expensive makeshift ereader. I don't know if it will be a worthy purchase.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Yikes. May I ask where this occurred?

Central VA. I was in a nice public place and everything and he flashed it and told me to give up the iPad. I laughed, lifted my shirt and told him about bringing a knife to a gun fight. He backed up slowly then ran. Its not something to really brag about seeing as how he could have gotten off a quick jab with the knife when I hadn't even pulled out my gun. But its to show you, you never know who you're dealing with, no matter where you live. I got suspicious when he was emailing me about it and was very anxious about meeting up without even trying to negotiate price.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
craigslist will get you by far the most money. If you use amazon a lot, their trade-ins for gift cards are great. I have always sold electronics on craigslist and they sell within 10 minutes of posting and the people come to me. It is very easy and hassle free.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I keep my gadgets in tip-top shape with original accessories, manuals and packing. I always get a nice amount back, usually about 75%. Craigslist is the best way to go. Fast and easy, use common sense and good judgment.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

On behalf of all of us, welcome to the iOS family!:eek:

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
You will get 15-20 percent more for your iPad on eBay vs Craigslist, but when you consider the auction and paypal fees, as well as time spent to pack and ship, I usually just do a cash deal on craigslist and take advantage of the fact that Apple products have good resale value. Just be patient and ignore the lowballers.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Getting half of what you paid is reasonable to you? Not me. I was able to sell my iPad 3 + Cellular 16GB AT&T for $460 a few weeks AFTER the mini and 4 were released on eBay. If you know how not to get scammed and burned, then eBay is the best way to sell it.

Yeah but see your device was only 6 months old, so that doesn't really relate to what I said (1-2 years). I just recently traded my 64GB iPad 3 LTE for an 64GB iPad mini, which in Ontario (after taxes) is a $600 sale. And that's with a scratch, dent and screen defect.

And plus, the lower storage sizes always get the best % in resale. The higher models always take a bigger hit, that's why I was being generous with getting half.

And for me, I've been scammed on ebay, so that's why local sales are my go to. I haven't had any bad luck yet on the local classifieds, and everyone I've met were pretty cool people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.