Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi,

I've bought a refurbished late 2011 MBP (with TB) and am using it with my 27" LED Cinema Display. Unfortunately, it seems this combination is making the fans inside the cinema display spin up quite a bit, with a continuous low hum.

Previously, I was using a late 2008 MBP with the cinema display and it was working fine until the cinema display fans started making some noise after about a year of use (alas, I did not get Apple Care ...). This noise was predictable though: the higher the brightness settings, the higher the fan speed, the more noise.

With the 2011 MBP, it seems the fans are spinning in a lot more on-demand fashion: if i switch from my browser to Mail, and start scrolling through my emails, the fans become audibly more agitated. There is no difference is perceived brightness. Same thing happens if I start up an application and a new window pops up.

EDIT: I just tested the screen with the old macbook pro ... same issue so it seems to be entirely a faulty fan in the screen, and not because of using the new macbook pro.

This is strange, and a little bit disappointing. So I am wondering

1) Does anyone have similar issues with their display fans?
1) How would I go about opening up the display and fixing it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
If you have a problem with it why not go to your local Apple store?

sandstorm871

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Same problem here

Similar problems here, used fine with a 2008 MBP, and now use a late 2011 15"MBP.
This has always had problems with the screen flashing & I put this down too, this MBP was the first to use thunderbolt ports. Ive reported this too apple a few times, they've took data from my machine, but have never done anything about it.

Anyhow, the fan on my cinema display, has today started making a knocking/clicking sound.
Ive shut it down for a while to cool down, but still the same noise. I also took a vacum cleaner attachment and cleaned out all the fan ports, but still the same.

Is there any tutorial on how to open this thing up and also is the fan something that can be fixed/cleaned/replaced?

FCPXXL

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2013
Hello!

A little late maybe but is the sound similar to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQv0mswkj9s

I have this problem as well and I am going to open the screen up and have a look at the power supply because some threads I have read here on the http://www.internet suggest that it might be the capacitors that are faulty or old and need to be replaced. That might be why the buzzing increases when you turn the brightness up as more power is needed.

BUT I do not know for sure yet. I will investigate this shortly.

How did it go with your display? Did you solve the problem?

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.