Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
You're welcome. You may also be interested in my article on the same topic, if you haven't seen it already.

Terrific old car you found there, and the low vantage point makes it all the more interesting.

Mine for today is a sunrise from early autumn. It's not easy catching people around here with their lights on while there is actually some light in the sky. They tend to be very frugal where electricity is concerned, so this combination has been a rare sight for me.

LittleVillage.jpg

Wow, straight from a John Carpenter movie. But without the tricks.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Not the greatest shot, but this photo means something to me, it my fist ever photo on film, shot with a £30 40 year old rangefinder (Olympus 35 rc)...quite an eye opener coming from the world of a 5d mk2!

Lake by Shaun Wilkinson Photography, on Flickr

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
Happy Lodge Client/Hunter

Took this a few minutes after one of our clients/hunters took a once in a lifetime whitetail deer. Pentax K-X, 70-300mm lens. I thought the joy/happiness reflected in the smile was worth posting. Not looking to start a debate regarding hunting so please just comment on the photo (I realize some object to hunting and I respect that opinion...as long as it comes from a vegetarian/vegan).

Attachments

• Dean Ramsdell 8 Dec 2012.jpg
    Dean Ramsdell 8 Dec 2012.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 164

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Mine for today is a sunrise from early autumn. It's not easy catching people around here with their lights on while there is actually some light in the sky. They tend to be very frugal where electricity is concerned, so this combination has been a rare sight for me.

LittleVillage.jpg

I suspect this may be a rare and beautiful sight for all of us. Thank you for sharing this Phrasikleia.

Mine for today...a female Mallard showing off her colours

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
I suspect this may be a rare and beautiful sight for all of us. Thank you for sharing this Phrasikleia.

Mine for today...a female Mallard showing off her colours

[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8259637358_68cfd64bb7_c.jpg]Image[/url]

I like this one.

I recently took a very similar series of shots, but struggled a bit with the lighting and post. Curious what the specs were on this one (EXIF), if you don't mind sharing.

I'll post mine later tonight when I get home.

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
After a bit of jiggery-pokery in photoshop, here's the best I can get this at the moment.

Even though this one seems more "realistic" in terms of the colors and lighting, I kind of prefer the first version posted a few days ago. Not really sure why...

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I like this one.

I recently took a very similar series of shots, but struggled a bit with the lighting and post. Curious what the specs were on this one (EXIF), if you don't mind sharing.

I'll post mine later tonight when I get home.

Thanks Puckman1...f/4 at 120mm, 1/750 and ISO 800. Bumped-up the ISO to get the faster shutter on an overcast day (their wings move quickly). PP was a slight tweak to exposure, wb, shadows (I think...not at my computer right now) and a crop.

Last edited:

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
My version of the mallard/duck. Mine is a set of 4 pics shot in continuous mode.

Here's the first. I should actually crop and join the 4 into one of those "3 frames" shot (not sure what the technical term is for that).

20121114-IMG_0883 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

Last edited:

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
Great shot LumbermanSVO. Wish we had streams around here like that... Guess I'll just have to make do with the beach then... ;)

Thanks, this is just downstream of Rocky Brook Falls near Brinnon,WA. The mist in the trees is from the falls. I tried to get a shot of the falls, but the mist was too heavy and was covering my gear far too quickly to get a shot off. I've killed one camera with water this year, no need to kill two! :p

I now kinda "live" about an hour from the Hood Canal and plan to explore it some more. I have a place to stay about 10 miles from Brinnon, so I can get a good jump on a day of exploring.

Mother'sDay

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
Cheers! Didn't even realised I had posted it before but looking at the Flickr Upload it looks like I posted it nearly 3 years ago. Far too long for my memory to work!

Have to say I think the shot looks better when you roll over and therefore without the luma masks!

Todays shot was a quick fire as I needed to finish off a roll of Kodak Ektar that I had in my film back which I find to slow to do anything with!

As always, comments are appreciated.

[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8066/8248622216_63c3a8e786_z.jpg]Image[/url]
Buddah by acearchie, on Flickr

Hi, I don't know if this is appropriate (since I usually skim other sections of these boards, not the photog), but you said you'd welcome comments. I don't shoot film, but here's a play I made with the jpg of your image. The crop wasn't really doing much for the image (looked sort of random, in the middle, not strong), and the blue wall was distracting. I assumed b&w would be better, but actually this Jared Platt aged film preset did the trick. (I use Lightroom, not Aperture.) I'm including a screen shot of the basic panel edits. Of course did tone curve, sharpening. Also used the brush to burn quite a bit. If you do it to the original file (so it's not adding noise and mess like here), I think you'll have a stunning effect. It's a very attractive image. :)

Now we'll see if the attachments work. I've never tried here.

Attachments

• girl on bridge.jpg
    girl on bridge.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 12.52.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 12.52.39 AM.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 115

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
My fuzzy daughter

I just got my new Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G and couldn't wait to play with it a bit before we went to bed, so I took a few shots of our little Maltese.

Shot using the above lens on a Nikon D3200, f/1.8@1/80, ISO1600 (only because I had forgotten to tune it back down after taking some earlier photos in a darker room).

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Rich-212

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Sunset

A shot from our recent honeymoon. This was taken at the botanical gardens in Singapore - beautiful place. Was experimenting with some PP - the sky was a bit more blue in the original! I'd like to do more with the flare from the sun, but not quite sure how to go about it. Any suggestions gratefully received...

Larger version can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtpalmi/8258871494/in/set-72157632218524124/lightbox/

Attachments

• 8258871494_820c4ae013_b.jpeg
    8258871494_820c4ae013_b.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 121

Mother'sDay

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
A shot from our recent honeymoon. This was taken at the botanical gardens in Singapore - beautiful place. Was experimenting with some PP - the sky was a bit more blue in the original! I'd like to do more with the flare from the sun, but not quite sure how to go about it. Any suggestions gratefully received...

Larger version can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtpalmi/8258871494/in/set-72157632218524124/lightbox/

If you flip the image horizontally, dodge the sun flare and add some yellow and contrast and then bump the temp and exposure on the overall even a bit more, you get something like this:

Quite pleasing. The flip is the big thing. :)

Attachments

• yellow tree.jpg
    yellow tree.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,025
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.