Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luvin

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
NJ
Also, if you're looking at a high-end 21" iMac... it may make more sense to just get a refurb 27" 2011 for pretty much the same price. This would give you a slightly better graphics card (with more VRAM), a bigger screen, and the ability to add your own RAM. Currently, this is pretty hard to do because they seem to be sold out often. Mainly because everyone realized that the 2012 21" are a poor value in comparison. :p

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Lowering the resolution on any screen below its native settings is ugly. Turn down effects etc before you ever drop the resolution unless you love blurry games.

About 95% of mainstream gamers play at sub-optimal settings (i.e., console gamers, 30 FPS, low-medium settings, 720p). Gaming at high resolutions 1080p, 1440p, is really a preference of a niche segment of enthusiast gamers that prefer all the eye candy. All the gaming I've done so far has been on gaming consoles. I'm sure the iMac will be leaps and bounds over what I'm used to, in terms of gaming and visual quality. I'll gladly bump the resolution down a bit for improved performance. I wouldn't mind a little blurriness.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
About 95% of mainstream gamers play at sub-optimal settings (i.e., console gamers, 30 FPS, low-medium settings, 720p). Gaming at high resolutions 1080p, 1440p, is really a preference of a niche segment of enthusiast gamers that prefer all the eye candy. All the gaming I've done so far has been on gaming consoles. I'm sure the iMac will be leaps and bounds over what I'm used to, in terms of gaming and visual quality. I'll gladly bump the resolution down a bit for improved performance. I wouldn't mind a little blurriness.

Your TV is built to support multiple resolutions and look good doing so. Your computer monitor isn't. Anything other than native is going to look like garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.