Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
If it's an actual television, it's going to flop big time. Well flop in terms of sales, it still might be awesome. They need to just do a box that will work on existing tv's.

While I too can't imagine an Apple tv set seeing success... If we've learned anything about Apple, it's to never underestimate the power of their incredibly loyal fan base. That, alone, may be enough to will an Apple-braned tv set into "success." We shall see.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't want to pay $1,000-2,000+ for a big screen... I can get that with Panasonic, or LG, or Samsung etc.
Plus then it has to play nicely with Sky, PS3 etc. Can't see that happening.

What would be great is a full featured Apple TV box with apps, games, tv schedule, Siri etc. Would pay much more than the current :apple:TV for that.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Sorry Apple, but I got tired of waiting. These TV rumor have been going for how many years now? Sure I'm "interested" but it's too late now. I just bought a Sony 55" LED smart TV for $1100.

Maybe in 3-4 years, if I get tired of this Sony, and if you come up with something fantastic, I'll consider buying an Apple TV.

I will, however, be running an Apple TV with this television. Please feel free to upgrade that. At $99, I'll buy one for every TV in the house, the day they are released. Heck, I'll buy an Apple TV 4, and 5, ... every year if you want to release them that frequently. At $99, why not?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I couldn't see a full on Apple television being competitive price-wise. The thunderbolt display alone is $1000 and people are going to want something bigger than 27".

I'd say Apple should continue to put focus toward improving on the already great AppleTV.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
I doubt apple will release a TV without making themselves a content deliverer. Both iphone and ipad were "game changers" not because of the hardware, but because of apple's effectiveness at delivering platform-specific content to the devices and ease of use of that content.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I don't really care which company takes the lead on it, but I really hope we will soon see a revolution in the TV space.

There are three things that I find particularly annoying:

1) Pre-programmed TV timetables - I want to decide what I want to watch, and when I want to watch it.

2) Expensive subscription-based offers such as Sky Sports - There is no way I'm going to fork out £60+/month for a service that I'd use to watch maybe 2-3 football matches and 1-2 Formula 1 races per month. I would love this to be pay-per-play - e.g., I wouldn't mind paying £3-£4 one-off for watching particular sports event that I'm actually interested in.

3) Disruptive advertisements. I'd rather see non-disruptive adverts all the time, than 7 minutes of non-stop bull every 15 mins through a programme.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I couldn't see a full on Apple television being competitive price-wise. The thunderbolt display alone is $1000 and people are going to want something bigger than 27".

I'd say Apple should continue to put focus toward improving on the already great AppleTV.

I agree with you that they should just focus on the existing apple TV but they may be able to make a TV and still make money... even if they took a loss on the hardware itself (i.e. sony with playstation), if they can find a way to milk money out of apple TV purchasers (and you know they can)... they could more than make up for it.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Seems like all the "ANALYSTS" are hard at work today... Time to go off news for the day it seems...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A lot of people know whether or not they want to buy an Apple television without knowing what it does and doesn't do. Now that's brand loyalty/hate!

Truss Wrod

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
I don't get this at all. They'd have to source their panels from Sharp or LG. And both those manufacturers are already selling a vast range of all sizes up to 90 inches at knock-down prices. Want Apple content and UI? Just plug in an Apple TV for £100.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Mac pro devotees (including me) are going to be super PO'd if the new USA assembly jobs are for an Apple TV. ;)

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
If it's an actual television, it's going to flop big time. Well flop in terms of sales, it still might be awesome. They need to just do a box that will work on existing tv's.

I totally agree.... I have 5 TV's in my house hooked up to AT&T U-Verse and will not replace them all with Apple TV's. I would love to drop U-Verse but....

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I doubt apple will release a TV without making themselves a content deliverer. Both iphone and ipad were "game changers" not because of the hardware, but because of apple's effectiveness at delivering platform-specific content to the devices and ease of use of that content.

The iPhone had no appstore when it was released. Jobs was against the idea, and instead wanted to get people to make webapps. They even had a webapp directory.

Apps didnt come to the iPhone (officially) until the day before the 3G was released.

It certainly didnt need content to sell the original iPhone.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
bundle the TV set with its existing Apple TV

Is this a joke?...The only reason people would buy an Apple TV (Other than super fanboys) would be the hardware/software integration. Samsung makes some great TV's if all you want is great picture quality.

Unless Apple decided it wants to start manufacturing its own screens.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
They are Heads of households. Which means they want an Apple TV but the wife will veto it.
I always loathe comments like this. Of course the head of the house is a man. Of course his wife is a bitch that kills all fun and joy in the world. Universal truths, right?

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
They need to build this functionality into the AppleTV Squarepuck.

Maybe have the puck with re-inforced pass-through mounting holes that are VESA spaced, so that the device can be mounted to the back of the monitor it is connected to.

Then, make Apple's biggest stand-alone computer monitor with a sound-bar, and AppleTV ready, maybe with a dock-able connector to offer bi-directional signals, and power source. Buy the package (monitor, sound-bar speaker unit, and AppleTV box) and you have your Apple television.

But, if you want, you can use it with any other monitor, projector, or whatever else.

I don't want to be locked into buying a screen size, or screen technology. (maybe I want a 50" 1080 plasma, but not everyone else does...)

And I want to be able to buy a new 99$ AppleTV box when they come out with the next generation processor hardware and newer iOS software support, while the screen component still works fine when the AppleTV component is more obsolete than the screen is.

Especially if the AppleTV box gains a coax input, and an over-the-air HD tuner, which would turn any digital input monitor into a television. Add ElGato-like H.264 encoder, and an internal SSD, and a wifi or gig-e connection to one's main library mac, or NAS, and you have yourself a DVR. A few internal signal splitters and multiple tuners, and it can be a multi-threaded DVR. Might make the box a little bigger, but it would be worth it, even if it became MacMini footprint sized.

Local broadcast HD reception, plus 'cable' content as downloaded from the internet via AppleStore/cable channel production alliance... would make a compelling alternative to a dish on the roof, or paying for TV content from the Cable company.

It would push the envelope toward satellite, cable, and telephone providers becoming utility connection types, not packaged content providers.

There is another route... build TV features and storage into a MacMini case, and make AppleTV into a true HTPC device, with the power of a Mac, and the device interface front end of iOS like AppleTV has now... but more functionality. It really should at least offer physical media reading (Superdrive minimum, BluRay better) as an alternative, while download speeds still don't support full HD content streaming or fast downloading.

Locking the Apple feature box to a specific screen, or locking certain content to a specific data network access provider is almost as 'old-think' as locking NAV technology into your car dashboard, when portable devices evolve much faster than you replace your car, which then has obsolete tech built into the dash that can't really be upgraded anyway, and your portable device (iPhone, cell iPad/mini) is more powerful and up to date.

modular modular modular, well executed modular.

Hardware should be upgradeable, and variable. media decoder and manager modular from display technology.
Data access should be just data network access, chosen by infrastructure concerns and bandwidth/speed. Cable, Satellite, telecomm (phone line) network, or cellular, or combinations of them.
Content should be a consumer's choice, and on demand after the designated release date and time, as agnostic as possible to what media decoder, and what connection network one is using at the given time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.