Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peakbagger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Montreal
Ordered my very first iMac on Nov 30th. I noticed a lot of folks here are purchasing memory from other vendors but I was wondering if there is a document explaining how to install it (such as this one).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423#1

My understanding is since there is no memory access door in the new model, you have to unglue the screen to get to the memory slots. Wouldn't that void the warranty?

Thanks!

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
27" has a little door to do it. 21.5" requires you to remove the screen and a bunch of other things inside. Better to upgrade when ordering if you're getting the small iMac.

dhokes

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Ordered my very first iMac on Nov 30th. I noticed a lot of folks here are purchasing memory from other vendors but I was wondering if there is a document explaining how to install it (such as this one).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423#1

My understanding is since there is no memory access door in the new model, you have to unglue the screen to get to the memory slots. Wouldn't that void the warranty?

Thanks!

The 27" version has a user-accessible slot and the 21.5" doesn't. Consequently, if you upgrade/try to upgrade the RAM in the smaller iMac, I imagine it will void the warranty.

As for documentation, I'm not too sure but I would imagine there will be plenty of Youtube videos in the next couple of weeks to show you how to install it.

Peakbagger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Montreal
The 27" version has a user-accessible slot and the 21.5" doesn't. Consequently, if you upgrade/try to upgrade the RAM in the smaller iMac, I imagine it will void the warranty.

As for documentation, I'm not too sure but I would imagine there will be plenty of Youtube videos in the next couple of weeks to show you how to install it.
I ordered the 27" so I should be good then. I saw the 21" at the Store, that's why I thought there was no slot. My mistake.
Thanks!

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Also regarding memory, I'm buying a 27" with 8GB RAM (2*4GB). Is it ok for me to add another single 8GB dimm with a view to adding another one at a later date, or do you still need to install memory in pairs like the old days?

Thanks.

GaryClough

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Also regarding memory, I'm buying a 27" with 8GB RAM (2*4GB). Is it ok for me to add another single 8GB dimm with a view to adding another one at a later date, or do you still need to install memory in pairs like the old days?

Thanks.

I would also like to know this. I presume that you still have to order ram in pairs, so as the 27" imac will come with x2 4gb dimms, can I add a further x2 8gb dimms to make a total of 24gb or do all slots have to have the same size memory module ?

Thanks

dogegg

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
They do not all have to be the same size. You can install 24GB

Does it matter which slots they go into? I've got my 2 x 8GB sticks ready to put in, do I just put them into the two empty slots or should I put the higher memory into the lower slots, ie move the original RAM to the other slots?

Is there a guide anywhere?

Cheers

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I don't believe it matters which slot they are in. I would just put them in the currently empty slots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.