Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Ummmm...no.

In our house we have three large HDTVs already. I don't see any reason I'd buy another, there's only two of us living here.

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I agree with you that they should just focus on the existing apple TV but they may be able to make a TV and still make money... even if they took a loss on the hardware itself (i.e. sony with playstation), if they can find a way to milk money out of apple TV purchasers (and you know they can)... they could more than make up for it.

True enough, but one can only assume it would take on the same look and feel as the cinema/thunderbolt displays and need to be at bare minimum 32" with the ideal size coming in around 40-50".

27" cinema display = $1000.
42" third party displays = $600ish.

If they were to make an Apple television, it would come at a higher pricetag than the cinema/thunderbolt displays or they would get way too much flak from cinema/thunderbolt display owners over the price.

My message to Apple would be that there are competitors out there who can already make a great television, why try and jump into that market when the cost and effectiveness of the existing AppleTV is such a small footprint that the limits are endless and the only way to go with it is up.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ya know. If MacRumors membership represented all Apple product buyers there would be 50 million members here.

MR does NOT represent the typical Apple product buyer.

I can see 20 million Apple TV set purchases provided it was done right.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
While I too can't imagine an Apple tv set seeing success... If we've learned anything about Apple, it's to never underestimate the power of their incredibly loyal fan base. That, alone, may be enough to will an Apple-braned tv set into "success." We shall see.

It's not just the "loyal fan base" that has made Apple the most valuable company in the world. Real people love the company's products too. We look at Apple through a "tech" filter on web sites like MacRumors and don't get that we are the minority.

Just to be honest I don't see the attraction of an HDTV running iOS either when a set-top box can do the same thing BUT people predicted doom for the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad when they were rumors. The jerk pundits made the same arguments about Apple muscling in on "mature" markets like MP3 players, cell phones, and the then nonexistent tablet market. They were all wrong so I won't go predicting an Apple HDTV will be D.O.A.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I'm wondering if they are coming up with a built-in AppleTV that all manufacturers can implement into their products if the TV quality passes Apple's vetting process. Unify all these differing interfaces and smart TV app stores.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Ya know. If MacRumors membership represented all Apple product buyers there would be 50 million members here.

MR does NOT represent the typical Apple product buyer.

I can see 20 million Apple TV set purchases provided it was done right.

Boy, you are right on. It has appeared for some time that the anti-Apple membership of MacRumors outnumbers the fans of the company by a substantial margin. I don't get it.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
People seem to have no idea of what this thing actually is, so how can they vote on it? Is it a terrific TV set, with a nicer picture? A better set-top box to replace the old fashioned designs from sat and cable providers? Is it a giant iPad with apps and iTunes downloaded shows?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I don't really care which company takes the lead on it, but I really hope we will soon see a revolution in the TV space.

There are three things that I find particularly annoying:

1) Pre-programmed TV timetables - I want to decide what I want to watch, and when I want to watch it.

2) Expensive subscription-based offers such as Sky Sports - There is no way I'm going to fork out £60+/month for a service that I'd use to watch maybe 2-3 football matches and 1-2 Formula 1 races per month. I would love this to be pay-per-play - e.g., I wouldn't mind paying £3-£4 one-off for watching particular sports event that I'm actually interested in.

3) Disruptive advertisements. I'd rather see non-disruptive adverts all the time, than 7 minutes of non-stop bull every 15 mins through a programme.

Becareful of what you ask for. A le carte TV sounds expensive.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
"Apple could, like, totally sell eleventy-billion TVs!" - Analyst

(They call them ANALysts, because they pull these numbers out of their bum)

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Before jumping to how many will sell you must ask yourself first this important questions: Price, how much extended warranty, will it come in 3D, built in wireless, compatible with blu-ray player, Airplay, would it work with most surround sound receivers?

I wonder how the Analyst came with those numbers other than assuming everyone is just an Apple fan boy and does not mind spending money like it is nothing.

I would buy a Apple TV if it can last longer than iPhone or a iMac. I do not want every 3 months a new TV coming out becomes Apple TV 9s.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Considering Apple's pricing patterns, $1,000 will buy you the shipping container.

If you actually want a TV in the container, I would guess it will be A LOT more! ;)
In marketing classes, they teach you that companies like Tiffany sell you the little blue box and the jewelry comes for free.

Regardless of what you think of it, marketing is very important to the success of ANY company. "Do no evil" - you don't think this is marketing as well?

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
IMO, while an Apple-branded-and-based physical TV would be nice and all, I can't see myself shelling out over $1k (or whatever the price will be, but it's going to be a premium) for a TV.

I would, however, prefer Apple to just release a cable STB to providers (i.e. Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, etc.). Either make that the standard STB for all customers, or sell it as an "upgrade" for a small amount of money.

THAT I would totally buy.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
In our house we have three large HDTVs already. I don't see any reason I'd buy another, there's only two of us living here.

Agreed. I'm waiting for the next big thing in Television before I would be willing to spend the upwards of $2000+ on any TV.

Maybe when the start selling the TVs that are integrated into the walls and follow you around the house.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
In the last few days I've read a few "analyst" reports on MacRumors. I'm convinced I'm in the wrong line of work. Based on my following of Apple, Inc., I am certain I could imagine all sorts of things: numbers, products, margins, etc. And I know I could certainly do a better job and end up being more accurate than these "professionals."

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I don't really care which company takes the lead on it, but I really hope we will soon see a revolution in the TV space.

There are three things that I find particularly annoying:

1) Pre-programmed TV timetables - I want to decide what I want to watch, and when I want to watch it.

2) Expensive subscription-based offers such as Sky Sports - There is no way I'm going to fork out £60+/month for a service that I'd use to watch maybe 2-3 football matches and 1-2 Formula 1 races per month. I would love this to be pay-per-play - e.g., I wouldn't mind paying £3-£4 one-off for watching particular sports event that I'm actually interested in.

3) Disruptive advertisements. I'd rather see non-disruptive adverts all the time, than 7 minutes of non-stop bull every 15 mins through a programme.

First there is no such thing as non-disruptive advertisements. Product placement is still disruptive. They have to write it in and meet certain obligations in the way it's presented, so it is disruptive. The ads for other shows at the bottom of the screen can also be disruptive. I think you could see a combination of things. It's possible to carry subscriptions yet make extremely expensive things an additional charge. That might result in lower subscription rates. Just don't be surprised if cable providers re-evaluate their fee schedules for internet service. Even today they offer packages to incentivize the purchase of multiple products. It's also important to consider that timetables won't go away completely. Even if a show is available whenever without pre-recording, they will still have a scheduled release cycle. I expect cable would still get it first and it might be available via itunes a day later.

Becareful of what you ask for. A le carte TV sounds expensive.

Netflix is cheap, and they get a fair amount of recent content. Stations have cut back on internet content due to the royalty disagreements. We'll see what happens. I dislike a trend to a la carte as it means stations would become increasingly conservative on what they green light.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
This is what i want apple to do:

1. make it beautiful. most flat screens are unattractive, with the exception of samsung's thin edge to edge tv. it's interesting that brian williams mentioned it.

2. no cables except for a power cord.

3. a full blown cable provider, with ala cart service. i get to watch any old tv show, and new programs become available when they air. I need to stream live content. this subscription can cost me a little more than a cable bill, thats fine.

4. full integration with icloud.

5. facetime, email, youtube, notes, calander, and other apps, etc.

-facetime alone will sell millions of tv's, to families with distant relatives, hip corporations (designers, architects, music/video people, rich exes). Remember that video conferencing has been possible for a long time, but it hasn't been easy to set up, and the hardware hasn't been ubiquitous enough. i find i'm doing it more and more on my phone. i do think it has a major place in the future. Tim Cook's Jetson's vision.

6. intuitive os. it can suggest shows i might like, and a great tv schedule that is easy to navigate.

7. i don't care about siri, unless it works flawlessly. otherwise it's awkward, frustrating, and it open's apple up to public criticism. s also don't need any gesturing.

8. a touch remote with a fingerprint sensor (or face recognition), so it knows who i am, and i don't have to log in to my account / setting / apps etc. interesting that apple recently bought a fingerprint sensor company.

9. a fast enough processor and enough memory in the tv to hold several accounts for all the members of a typical family.

10. something that i didn't know i can't live without.

This would be the most incredible product. It seems nearly impossible, but so did the iphone. Perhaps they should sell both a tv, and a set-top box.

The cost will be the price of a nice tv + the price of a mac mini. So $3000.

Apple could offset this with profits from content. But they love they're hardware profits. So my guess is $2800 for a 50" tv. And maybe just $700 for a box that you can connect to any tv.

The last major hurdle will be internet speeds, not sure how they'll solve that. Google is working on it in Kentucky with a fiber optic build out.

When will all this happen? I would bet its 5 years out. But Tim is already dropping hints, so who knows.

Last edited:

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
Quality hardware, voice controlled, Pay only for what I want channel wise, sports game wise.
1/2 of current cable/dish cost of today with no contracts or small print.

Shut up and take my money.

ps NO on screen in the corner ads of any kind, shows, channel, anything!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
While I too can't imagine an Apple tv set seeing success... If we've learned anything about Apple, it's to never underestimate the power of their incredibly loyal fan base. That, alone, may be enough to will an Apple-braned tv set into "success." We shall see.

That is short-sighted. An Apple TV set will be a success IF Apple do to their products what they have done since iPhone: make it a MUST have accessory for most. Not just for their loyal fan base.

An Apple TV set will absolutely have something others will need to copy. Apple won't "invent" the TV, but "re-invent" it by combining technology and features others haven't thought of or couldn't have implemented for one reason or another.

Next to that it will be gorgeous to look at. It will be ultra-thin and have a lovely display.

The "content" part is the speculative part. That's what we want to see being revolutionised.

SirChadwick

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
I have already spent good money on TV hardware. Give me a box with outstanding software and content options please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.