Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And you highlighted another example of how Apple's arrogance has ruined customer experience, remove one thing that works and has what you mention in place and has done for years, and replace it with something that is totally brocken and lacks everything you said above.

I don't think they did it out of arrogance. I mean putting the team in place and building the actual solution, not deciding to drop Google. I think they really thought they had what it took and understood what they were getting into, and probably didn't really know how broken it was until it was released to the world post-WWDC.

And when they did find out, it was too late to go back. Too much of iOS 6 depends on the new MapKit framework and going back to Google's version at that point was really a non-option unless they were willing to delay iOS 6 for a couple of weeks/months.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
So that makes it right for Apple to remove a great app and replace it with a piece of crap on a device that cost me $950?

Ok :rolleyes:

if you have $950, you have the budget to spend $20-40 on a MAPS alternative...

and xmas time is coming around... you'll get them all on a great sale price

i did.. and i spent $50 2-3 years ago for tomtom usa... problem solved

----------

I don't think they did it out of arrogance. I mean putting the team in place and building the actual solution, not deciding to drop Google. I think they really thought they had what it took and understood what they were getting into, and probably didn't really know how broken it was until it was released to the world post-WWDC.

And when they did find out, it was too late to go back. Too much of iOS 6 depends on the new MapKit framework and going back to Google's version at that point was really a non-option unless they were willing to delay iOS 6 for a couple of weeks/months.

you're making good points but you cant be serious... Apple is a very arrogant company... mostly the output is good... their price model, their attempt at maps, their response to the antenna-gate... pure arrogance....

i love apple as a company b/c of the excellent detail in regard to customer experience and how all of their products and services are so robust and integrated..(with some exceptions)... but when apple drops the ball you can clearly see their arrogance..

software mistakes to this level were never committed under s.jobs... they took forever to unveil new functionality, but when they did, it worked...

i dont know the entire set of details with Apple/Google and the maps relationship fallout, but if apple spearheaded the divorce, that is very arrogant of them... they had a good thing going

i know people hate throwing shade @ apple on this forumn... but issues like these expose that Apple might be inferior in terms of software development compared to Google.. not saying that their products dont rock, or they Ace the overall customer experience, but software development isnt their strong suit amongst competitors

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
if you have $950, you have the budget to spend $20-40 on a MAPS alternative...

and xmas time is coming around... you'll get them all on a great sale price

i did.. and i spent $50 2-3 years ago for tomtom usa... problem solved

Yeah, and I should have to spend more when I expected it to be on the phone. Great logic there. :rolleyes:

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Yeah, and I should have to spend more when I expected it to be on the phone. Great logic there. :rolleyes:

no, im just saying dont throw out big $$$ if you cant afford peripherals and maybe better alternatives..

apple should've gotten maps right but like i said, APPLE HAD GOOGLE FOR YEARS and i opted out for Tomtom... maybe you should do the same and have no worries like me :cool:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I wish I could down-vote posts. I definitely think that having an accurate map is more important than turn-by-turn directions.
Did I say having turn-by-turn is more important than an accurate map?

I said there are advantages to the new Apple Maps that people don't notice. There are bigger disadvantages that everyone notices, clearly.

That said, map data can (hopefully) be fixed in time, whereas turn-by-turn and other improvements could not be added by Apple to someone else's app.

Apple should be using just the map data from Google, not an entire Maps app. Anyway, it sounds like Google will be releasing their Maps app on iOS soon.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
you're making good points but you cant be serious... Apple is a very arrogant company... mostly the output is good... their price model, their attempt at maps, their response to the antenna-gate... pure arrogance....

I mean the team responsible for Maps. I'm pretty sure those guys didn't say they could deliver out of arrogance, they probably genuinely thought they had what it took, they probably took all the steps they could foresee to hire the missing people, get the proper tools, etc..

The problem is their lack of expertise didn't enable them to get all the outside help they needed or all the tools required because they simply did not know about it until it was too late.

Hanlon's razor if you will, but replace "stupidity" with simple "lack of expertise/knowledge".

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
no, im just saying dont throw out big $$$ if you cant afford peripherals and maybe better alternatives..

apple should've gotten maps right but like i said, APPLE HAD GOOGLE FOR YEARS and i opted out for Tomtom... maybe you should do the same and have no worries like me :cool:

For your info I did purchase an alternative. It cost me $46 at the time. Only because I wanted the Turn by turn. I purchased an iPhone five hoping I wouldn't have to use so much of my phones memory on a third party app. It is one of Apples big selling points on the iOS 6 devices. ;)

Edit: And one more thing. Every time I go to Purchases my App store crashes. Nice Apple.

drditty

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2007
upstate NY
Maps is fine for where I live

Here in the Northeast, maps is fine. I don't live in an area where there is public transport, so that lack of feature isn't a big deal. I think the current app is much faster and just as accurate as google maps was. I'm sure it will get better as time goes on. Find my friends is great for keeping track of my teen driver by the way.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong!

If you peel back the Apple app map view the app proudly states it's data is provided by TomTom, yet in my nearest town of around 20 thousand homes, my TomTom satnav (Not the built in Apple maps app) app on my iPhone can find a LOT and I mean a LOT of VERY well known and long standing businesses like PC World, and Esso petrol stations that APPLE'S map app doesn't think exist, in fact the Apple maps app thinks the nearest PC World store is about 90 miles away from myself, not the 12 miles it actually is!!

So Sorry, in the UK at least, to blame Apple's cock up on the map data supplied is totally incorrect.

Nice job failing at reading comprehension. It's still the implementation of the mapping data that's the problem, not the actual map on your phone.

So that makes it right for Apple to remove a great app and replace it with a piece of crap on a device that cost me $950?

Ok :rolleyes:

A great app? The google maps app was garbage and 5 years behind all of the competing products. It was slow as molasses, ugly, and there was no way for Apple to integrate Siri or any turn by turn navigation. It's quite nice to be driving down the highway and just have to hit the home button and say "I need directions to X" and it automatically gets the directions and starts your route without having to even touch the phone.

There are still major growing pains with the mapping data but in a few years people will look back and see that Apple made the right decision.

If the mapping data doesn't cut it in your area yet, then download another maps app (mapquest mobile is quite good and has free turn by turn), point your browser to maps.google.com, or wait for Google's own maps app which is coming soon.

Otherwise, you can keep crying all you want, but Apple maps are here to stay. And the mapping data will continue to improve. Instead of whining non-stop on here about first world problems, be realistic and have some patience.

Or you could always take $5 out of that $950 and go down to your local AAA and pick up a paper map. People survived for decades with them before smart phones came out in the past 10 years.

M

Mr.damien

Apart that the post uou have quoted is sarcasm, where is the invention with Fly By when it has been shown first with Nokia and Google?

Anyway, I never saw anything as close as Apple's fly by quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I understand that apple wants to do their own thing with maps, and not have google provide that

but mannn.. they should have at least released a couple of beta's first. I personally have not had a problem with the maps app, however this is catastrophic..

Apple needs to get their act together ASAP

Blackey

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about. I've been using the mapping app and haven't had any problems. I like the 3d view.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
You are wrong. Apple did not process this data. Apple gets its data from various companies, one of which took the original data from the Australian Gazetteer and messed it up.

No you are wrong. As other posters in this thread have wrote, the Gazetteer lists many places that contain Mildura as part of the name, not just 2 like TheRegister article says. Apple uses TomTom data but TomTom devices and apps show Mildura correctly. Google shows Mildura correctly. It is entirely the fault of Apple.

kaniSS

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney Australia
Even without apple maps those idiot Aussies would of ended up in the middle of no where. Australians in general are bad drivers, I'm surprised they didn't even notice they where on the wrong goat track.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Why did these lost people not just backtrack the way they came?

Plus do kangaroos have built in GPS?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
wow.. that was quick one day

I hope the rest of Maps get fixed in a short time frame.. (not overnight, but would be good if Apple worked round the clock).

Just shows you what the police are capable of.

Why did these lost people not just backtrack the way they came?

That would have made more sense.

Plus do kangaroos have built in GPS?

I dunno, i'll ask one next time they jump out in front of a car.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

I think they knew how bad it was well in advance, I mean it can show roads fine but in this day and age the whole point of a map app is to let you search for somewhere, and then use the app to direct you there. I think they just didn't bother testing it before release.

dca100

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
I doubt buying Garmin would have done anything. They already use TomTom's data and apparently it's not very good
Wrong I'm afraid. Garmin do not use TomTom maps. they use NAVTEQ/Nokia/'Here' maps. In fact they are probably NAVTEQ's largest customer.

They're more easily being compared to Google Maps which has better data than any dedicated GPS company
Google Maps have done a fine job with their maps for pedestrian and general orientation use. However their maps are certainly not the best for in-car use. Many of the best dedicated or in-car navigation products (built-in or otherwise) use NAVTEQ maps, as these are compiled and measured specifically and exhaustively for automotive-standard quality, consistency and reliable navigation.

However, premium-quality automotive-grade maps may be great in-car but they do not automatically lend themselves well to aesthetically-great maps, as seen with Nokia's rather weak Here app and of course Apple's TomTom-based maps. That said, it seems that the primary issue for Apple in this instance is a data processing one. TomTom's own apps and devices apparently have the town correctly located.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Nice job failing at reading comprehension. It's still the implementation of the mapping data that's the problem, not the actual map on your phone.

You said:

But yeah, there are still many problems with the mapping data,

-----

And on that front you are wrong, plain and simple. How can TomTom use the same data in it's own app fine, then Apple use this data from TomTom and totally screw it up huh? The problem is Apple and the way it used the data, well didn't use it..

It's a joke of an app, it seriously is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.