Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Has anyone even been following this?

Sharp will manufacture the screens. Foxcon and apple have made huge investments in sharp.

Eveyone who says they want it to be competitively priced with other tv's doesn't get it. Apple would never make just aanother tv. The would revolutionize tv. Have you not noticed how horrible our current tv delivery is?

Apple didn't invest anything in Sharp. Just gave an advance to Sharp. Foxconn purchased plants Sharp was closing. Steve Jobs is not with Apple to revolutionize anything. Google already has glasses. Next best thing is to surgically implant TV into ones eyes. That is revolutionary.

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Apple could sell 13 Million TVs....

... or not.

Attachments

• Macintosh_TV.png
    Macintosh_TV.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 61

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Doesn't anyone remember last year's prediction from Katy Huberty?

Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty, who has historically been rather conservative in her predictions of Apple's performance, issued a new report yesterday (via Fortune) suggesting that Apple could sell nearly 200 million iPhones next year. The number would be more than double that of this year's iPhone sales, which currently stand at 56 million ahead of a blockbuster quarter that is expected to add perhaps 30-35 million to that number.

Huberty's predictions are based on her own research and a consumer survey by AlphaWise that pegs demand for the iPhone next year 40% higher than anticipated by Morgan Stanley in its "base case" scenario.

Her capability to predict is beyond worthless.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I don't have to. If I were that type of visionary, I would be employed at Apple coming up with this stuff that I've been previously unable to imagine.

But don't worry: you don't need to be able to fully imagine the X factor here...you can simply look at the precedent for this type of revolutionary product throughout Apple's history. They have masterfully taken clunky, difficult to use interfaces and made them markedly better. They did it with a folder/desktop OS, they did it with MP3 players, they did it with mobile phones, they did it with PDA's/tablet computers...they'll do it with televisions.

It's often at the expense of your old devices that may not be compatible. History also shows those consumer electronic vendors bend to Apple's innovation and support it.

Sure, or it could be like Apple's first tablet, the Newton. That was awesome, in an "overpriced failure" sort of way. Or maybe the first Apple TV which some people paid a lot of money for and then promptly let it gather dust in their basement.

So who knows? Maybe they really will revolutionize it with features that no one seems to be able to describe. Or maybe they'll lay an egg. The tablet and smartphone industries were niche when Apple moved in. The TV industry is far from niche, and it has a ton of players and complicated relationships with networks and providers. Unlike Apple's smartphone exclusivity deal with ATT, no one will buy this thing if it's locked to only one or two networks. And it's hard to imagine Apple untangling all of the networks from their longstanding deals with the likes of Comcast.

So no, I don't think people should blindly buy into this based on their past success with some other products.

Timhet

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
If Apple start making TV's they are going to turn into another Sony. Although I guess TV's are pretty similar to monitors and they make them so who knows.

JoshAlfie

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
I love all the negative comments and doubters about an Apple TV set. Reminds me of when people were complaining about the iPod and iPhone and iPad before it was launched.

"There's no way it will work. Apple instead need to <insert opinion>"

And look where they are at now...

For a site dedicated to Apple product users the level of cynicism towards the brand and their products always surprises me.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'm not sure whether this is a matter of selling to existing Apple customers (although that's nice, too), and it's certainly not about those who are willing to connect a black box. It's about people who have been pre-sold on the Apple brand but are not computer users (well, beyond reading email and the occasional web page); people who select the free, "regular push-button" cell phone because more than that is intimidating. "Finally, an Apple for you!" And the TV itself, an upscale fashion statement. "Everyone else has a nondescript, black-framed TV. I have an Apple!"

Do you have trouble imagining the ad campaign, showing just how simple it would be to use, how useful, how cool you'll seem to the kids/grandkids? And how you can do even more with it, if only you owned an iPhone...

And, of course, the army of iPod Touch-toting 8-year-olds, who really, really want Mom and Dad to make the next TV an Apple so they can play their Game Center games on the big screen.

IF Apple can make a TV experience that gives viewers everything they already have in terms of program content/subscription services, etc., a greatly improved UI that helps them get more from what they already have and adds cool new features... people will pay a premium - they pay handsome premiums now for TVs that are "better" than the base model, even though the display technology is identical. People who would never consider attaching a black box to their own TV unless the cable guy did it... too complicated.

I think the bigger problem is having the space in today's Apple Stores to display all those big screens. (But consider if the customer could go to any iOS device or Mac in the store and start controlling one of the TVs...)

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I understand and agree with many of the arguments and ideas that I have read here. However, if Apple makes a presentation and says, "here is the new Apple TV, It's 60" and is $3000", but then follows up with these stats:
- 4K resolution
- Siri
- Intigrated cable box (Apple UI / Jony Ive)
- HDMI & Thunderbolt/Lightning/USB
- a la carte shows or channels controlled via iTunes...

I don't care if I have to yank my 55" Sammy off the wall. I'm getting one. I really think that if they want to pull this off, it will have to be more than a current gen TV with Apple TV built in. 4K 48 is a path to achieving this.

Of course, more than likely this beautiful product will be locked to a small number of networks. So if you want your HBO then you'll still need that Comcast Cable Box, thereby killing the whole value proposition (seamless, simple experience).

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I don't know what Apple branded Televisions would be.

The biggest component to a TV is its screen and Apple doesn't make that.

So what then? Apple TV iOS running on the TV with Siri integration on the remote control for voice control of the TV, A Webcam for Facetime and a easier user interface is all I can see. And maybe define and open the market for a new App category for the TV.

In short, a Giant iMac with Apple TV, minus the regular computer components = iTV.

If its true. I hope they choose Sharp Displays, who incidentally make the finest LCD on the Planet.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
Price will be a huge thing. $1000 HDTV? No I don't think they'll sell that many of those.

A $100 apple tv box that has a better feature set? That could.

I don't know what it's like in the US but in the UK $1k equivalent for a premium TV is VERY CHEAP.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I understand and agree with many of the arguments and ideas that I have read here. However, if Apple makes a presentation and says, "here is the new Apple TV, It's 60" and is $3000", but then follows up with these stats:
- 4K resolution
- Siri
- Intigrated cable box (Apple UI / Jony Ive)
- HDMI & Thunderbolt/Lightning/USB
- a la carte shows or channels controlled via iTunes...

I don't care if I have to yank my 55" Sammy off the wall. I'm getting one. I really think that if they want to pull this off, it will have to be more than a current gen TV with Apple TV built in. 4K 48 is a path to achieving this.

So lets break this down.

4k resolution - whilst owning one would be cool, 99% of your content would be lower resolution, with an awful lot of it (mainly older films and tv shows) not even being full hd.

Siri - I cant see how this is really a killer feature for anything. It's voice control hooked into a search api. Nothing fancy really, and the only part that would be of any use on a TV is the voice control part...but even then will still be a lot more hassle than using a remote.

Integrated cable box so a lump of plastic to put cables in? Seriously?

HDMI & Thunderbolt/Lightning/USB
Thunderbolt would have no use on a TV. It's meant for high speed transfers and such. You wouldn't be doing that with a TV. The most you'd use it for is to plug in an external HDD, at which point you eliminate the point of having all this stuff built into the TV instead of as a set top box. Lightning would be pointless, but USB may be useful for some.

a la carte shows or channels controlled via iTunes If this happens, it isnt something that could be done quickly. I'm not talking months, I'm talking YEARS. The licensing restrictions around Tv shows and movies is insane, and theres no way Apple would be granted any sort of global channel license in a flash.

So at this point you're happy to pay $5k for what is essentially exactly the same as the current AppleTV, but with a fancy screen. $5k for a screen. That's the only part of your list that cant be implemented into the existing AppleTV.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I hope SIRI on this phantom TV works better than than it works on my iPhone/iPad

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
If I were that type of visionary, I would be employed at Apple coming up with this stuff that I've been previously unable to imagine.

But don't worry: you don't need to be able to fully imagine the X factor here...you can simply look at the precedent for this type of revolutionary product throughout Apple's history. They have masterfully taken clunky, difficult to use interfaces and made them markedly better. They did it with a folder/desktop OS, they did it with MP3 players, they did it with mobile phones, they did it with PDA's/tablet computers...they'll do it with televisions.

Beautify illustrated, someone gets it!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
It will be interesting to see if Apple really has something in mind that will totally change TV's like they have with MP3 players, phones and tablets.

Looking forward to being "wowed" once again.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Apple and Comcast need to understand people aren't stupid and willing to pay more for the same service.

An hbo show won't look any better on an Apple TV tuner than on a stock Comcast.

Sure their is better integration here but Comcast has the upper hand.

Content baby and apple has little of it

----------

In fact - someone tell me why would Comcast and other providers even want to play ball with apple?!

They don't want to have another music incident happening

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
How is 1500 a representative sample of the whole US?

It isn't. Plus the other problem is this. The 27inch Thunderbolt monitor is $999. So how can they sell a 42inch TV with a tuner, internet, and God knows what other capabilities to compete against the Samsung, etc. Smart TV? 42inch the average anymore, it's more like 50 and moving towards 65inch. 42inch was so 2-3 years ago.

Here is the LIST price of the flagship Samsung smart HDTVs.

E8000 65inch Samsung HDTV List Price is $3719
E8000 55inch Samsung HDTV List Price is $2649 but these two monitors are kind of being dumped on the market.

Apple doesn't go after the low end market, they are more of a premium product line, because of the quality on the inside, outside and tech support, which smart tvs so need from time to time.

Right now, the TV market goes through end of year dumping just in time for Christmas and then they announce new models and then release the new models a few months later. Look at the price of a Sony XBR 64.5, that thing is $5500 on sale for $5200. That's more of where Apple would be headed, I doubt Apple is going to go after the low price, no margin HDTV market because they will put out a premium product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.