Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacob204

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Hi Guys,

New to the Mac scene, just bought my first MacBook air yesterday. I have always been a windows user, and still will be for games and stuff, but as I started a new job; I thought I would get a Mac for my day-to-day stuff to change things up.

When I started looking around for software to install on my Mac, it immediately changed my way of thinking. I thought I would need an antivirus, disk cleanup and other softwares to maintain my Mac, just looking on Google for these answers immediately showed I didn't.

So my question is, do I require any type of software to maintain my mac at all?

Also, I was wondering if you guys could advice me on some cool software for basic stuff, e.g. something like a program that tells me the stats of my mac(temp, ram use etc)

Thanks Guys

May 8, 2008
Nope, you don't really need anything to maintain your new MacBook Air.

I use Coconut Battery to check my battery every so often. Though there are numerous other free and paid battery apps depending upon your desired level of information.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Hi Guys,

New to the Mac scene, just bought my first MacBook air yesterday. I have always been a windows user, and still will be for games and stuff, but as I started a new job; I thought I would get a Mac for my day-to-day stuff to change things up.

When I started looking around for software to install on my Mac, it immediately changed my way of thinking. I thought I would need an antivirus, disk cleanup and other softwares to maintain my Mac, just looking on Google for these answers immediately showed I didn't.

Also, I was wondering if you guys could advice me on some cool software for basic stuff, e.g. something like a program that tells me the stats of my mac(temp, ram use etc)

Thanks Guys

The only maintenantce I need is iDefrag to defrag my hard drive once in a while. And I also format my Macbook once a year to keep it fast. (Usually when there is a new version)

jacob204

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
wow...I honestly cant believe its as easy as that. haha.

well thats awesome :)

----------

The only maintenantce I need is iDefrag to defrag my hard drive once in a while. And I also format my Macbook once a year to keep it fast. (Usually when there is a new version)

Forgive me if i am wrong, but I have always been told that SSD's shouldn't be defragged.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Go to your computer's preferences and find 'Security & Privacy' and then turn on the firewall. There's not a whole lost else you have to do for security other than make sure you don't enter your system password for programs when you don't know where they came from.

Another security measure: Don't instal Flash. Get Google Chrome, it has its own flash player built in. ONLY launch that when you need flash and then close it again. This lets you access flash sites but will keep Safari, Firefox, and the rest of your system free of flash and any exploits it may allow from sites running in the background that you didn't know about.

The only maintenantce I need is iDefrag to defrag my hard drive once in a while.

You can do what you want, but there's no need to drag new users into habits that Apple says aren't necessary.

Also get DaisyDisk, it's a great free app to check why your HD is filled up :p

I second this. You'll find caches of old stuff you don't need or old iPhone backups or some such junk that can be trashed.

A great program.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Hi Guys,

Thanks Guys

Yep thats the great thing about OS X... it doesn't need to be maintained! :D Just a warning, however, don't fall for those ads like "MacKeeper" because they are scams... ;)

One other app you should get it Onyx. It will help you clean the computer caches etc (which normally help the system run faster but can become corrupt)... this isn't something that needs to be done often... only like once a month or 2. It basically makes sure nothing is incorrectly cached and is slowing your computer down

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Yep thats the great thing about OS X... it doesn't need to be maintained! :D Just a warning, however, don't fall for those ads like "MacKeeper" because they are scams... ;)

One other app you should get it Onyx. It will help you clean the computer caches etc (which normally help the system run faster but can become corrupt)... this isn't something that needs to be done often... only like once a month or 2. It basically makes sure nothing is incorrectly cached and is slowing your computer down

I can't stress Onyx enough. However, I'd stay away from any disk defragmenting software on a Mac, particularly if you have an SSD as it's a good way to rack up write cycles on your SSD.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
My must have general apps for mac are-

istat
Onyx
Insomniax - for laptops.

Not really much maintenance needed with Macs, i just do a fresh OS install every OS release.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I thought I would need an antivirus,
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
None. You don't need to "maintain" your Mac and you don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well. Some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

With very few exceptions, you don't need to defrag on Mac OS X, except possibly when partitioning a drive.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X
You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X.
Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention. You can use Maintidget to see the last time these scripts were run.

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

This may be useful:

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Also make sure to not leave it plugged too long, apparently ruins the battery long term.
Do have anything to back up this claim?

Once the battery is charged, the power adapter draws little or no electricity from the outlet. So how would this ruin the battery? It certainly causes less harm to the battery than a continuous cycle of full draining and charging.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do have anything to back up this claim?

Once the battery is charged, the power adapter draws little or no electricity from the outlet. So how would this ruin the battery? It certainly causes less harm to the battery than a continuous cycle of full draining and charging.
It's fine to leave it plugged in after it's fully charged, as it stops charging when it's full. It's not fine to leave it plugged in all the time, as the battery needs to be exercised regularly to stay healthy. For more details, see the AC POWER section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.