Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Favorite browser

• Total voters

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I made a thread about this a while ago but it had no poll and we now have new browsers. So which one is it and why?

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Leopard Webkit

..plus Click to Plugin ROCKS. Close second for Roccat and iCab.Tenfourfox and Aurorafox are almost unusable on my piddling little G4 ibook, though a dual G4 or G5 user might find them more usable. I use Camino and Omniweb less and less these days.....feels like their days are numbered.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
My heart screams Camino but my brain gets to make most of the decisions nowadays - and therefore I voted SeaMonkey.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
For anyone looking at this thread to choose a browser, keep in mind the "Webkit" option is in reference to Leopard Webkit. Webkit is the rendering engine that Leopard Webkit is based on, along with a host of others (including Safari and Roccat).

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
How about we post links to each of the named browsers. So many new users here recently, it would be nice to help them find these easily.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
TFF baby! Safari ran like ****, Camino was a lot better but I started having issues and settled on TFF.

I tried a few others and didn't like them.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
This thread prompted me to do a little browser hopping (I'd been using an unoptimized version of Camino up until this point). I've settled on Stainless - it's a great little browser and I'd urge people to give it a try!

Like Chrome, all tabs run in their own process - so if one tab crashes it won't bring the entire browser down. The UI is beautiful (in my eyes) - a unified URL/search bar, navigation buttons, and a bar of bookmark icons down the side - that's it! A neat (and rare) feature is that of parallel sessions - you can sign into multiple accounts of the same website by having a different session set up in each tab. Javascript is fairly quick too (quicker than Camino and Safari, but not as quick as Aurorafox) and it scores 100% on the Acid3 test. Overall it just feels very responsive - with hardly any lag when scrolling up and down and minimal load times.

Now for the bad: Other than being Webkit-based, little else about the browser is known because up until recently it was closed-source. Apparently the project has gone open source, but I have yet to find where it is hosted. There is also very little in the way of options/customizations - preferences are very limited, and there is no extension system either. But to be honest, if you install Glimmer Blocker then you get a system-wide adblocker anyway.

TL;DR: Stainless is FAST!

Smithcraft

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
OmniWeb.

I've been using it as my primary browser since I fell in love with it years ago and bought it.

Granted it's PPC days are numbered(6.0 will be 10.7 or 10.8 only), but I'll stick with it.

I also have Safari for quick stuff(OW will open about twenty tabs), FireFox(but I get annoyed about the damn plugins out date yellow bar), and TenFourFox which I just about never use 'cuz I might end up at YouTube and that doesn't work.

SC

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
TenFourFox which I just about never use 'cuz I might end up at YouTube and that doesn't work.

SC
You are aware that Flash can be enabled in TenFourFox.

TenFourFox 6 disabled plugins by default, meaning Flash is not there. This can be enabled easily by doing the following:

In the address bar type 'about:config' and press enter. Look for 'tenfourfox.plugins.enabled' and set it to 'true' this will enable Flash. I haven't had any problems so far and Flash content like YouTube seems to run faster than it did in Safari 5.

Smithcraft

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
No sir! I was completely unaware!

I think I can now drop the regular FF and go with TenFourFox.

Thanks!

SC

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
My heart screams Camino but my brain gets to make most of the decisions nowadays - and therefore I voted SeaMonkey.

My heart beats for Camino, has done so since 2006.
Quite frankly, I know there are objective reasons why Camino is not optimal, but I've never felt a real reason to change.

RGDS,

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No sir! I was completely unaware!

I think I can now drop the regular FF and go with TenFourFox.

Thanks!

SC
There's also Aurora. Aurora uses T4Fx code and is based on Firefox Aurora nightly builds. Aurora is usually one version ahead of T4FX (right now as of this post it's two versions).

Aurora is beta though so if unstable does not suit you stick with T4Fx. However, version 18 has been pretty good. I downloaded version 19, but it does not seem to want to respect some of my AdBlockPlus filters on Google and elsewhere.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
There's also Aurora. Aurora uses T4Fx code and is based on Firefox Aurora nightly builds. Aurora is usually one version ahead of T4FX (right now as of this post it's two versions).

Aurora is beta though so if unstable does not suit you stick with T4Fx. However, version 18 has been pretty good. I downloaded version 19, but it does not seem to want to respect some of my AdBlockPlus filters on Google and elsewhere.
Two totally different cats, TenFourFox is optimized for Tiger 10.4, and AuroraFox is for Leopard 10.5 only.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Two totally different cats, TenFourFox is optimized for Tiger 10.4, and AuroraFox is for Leopard 10.5 only.
You are quite right.

But T4FX also works on Leopard. And while Aurora is Leopard only, I happen to be using Leopard so it suits me just fine. And no issues with Tiger compatibility inherent in the program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.