Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Of course you're a careful dad, but your 5 years old has been "superb at school", really?

Was she the best to draw her house and family with pencils or what?

Anyway it's a good idea to grow childrens with tecnologies, tablets, etc. because there are a lot of apps for learning purposes, so not only to watch Kung Fu Panda or play with games or FaceTime BUT as I said, a technology investment would be good, that kind of reward for a 5 years old that did nothing so special (except for his father's not objective point of view) definitively not.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hi,

My 5 year old daughter has done superb at school. I do things a little different in my house. I dont just dish out presents for nothing. I illustrate 3 options. One small present for poor effort, then one for medium effort and a top prize for best effort. With the glowing 98% mark she got in the effort coloum of here teachers report im blow away and so proud of her. I simply must reward this as promised and then some!

(Note effort not grades. Not everyone can be a straight A's student. My only concern is she has an incentive to try her hardest and realizes early on that things don't grow on trees for many of us.)

So, time for skint daddy to stump up for an iPad :eek: Im not wealthy by any stretch of the mile. But will gladly sell the shirt of my back to reward her.

So, im not that good at this technology stuff but know enough to get by.

Options seem to be iPad 2 vs iPad mini as they cost a similar amount. My daughter is 5, shes gonna be watching stuff like Kung fu panda and other DVDs she already has and playing app store games mostly. She wont have Email but facetime is essential. The iPad will never leave our house.
Can anyone advise me between the two?

I have a load of xvid backups of my DVD collection and my daughters children DVDs too on my PC. Will I be able to stream them across to here iPad? I understand the iPads dont use Xvid and you have to do a conversion. But then with that comes the space to house all of this and the price between a 16 gig and a 64 gig is double. Id much rather get the 16 gig and stream over from my PCs hard drive.

Any help greatly appreciated.

So your kid gets a present regardless?

Lucky kid :D

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Sigh... No words... Speechless. Dude, she's FIVE. Get her a freaking doll!

My 2 1/2 year old uses my iPad and has learnt counting, colours and even does well on memory games.

Its a bloody good tool for children and would recommend it to any parent.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
My 2 1/2 year old uses my iPad and has learnt counting, colours and even does well on memory games.

Ehhh a two - five hundred dollar tool. You can go to Target and buy all the books and other learning tools needed all for under $40 man, cmon now..If its that serious download some kid apps on the personal ipad and award the child ipad time..This is a 5yr old, not a jr or highschool student.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
How about applying that money towards her college funds. A 5 year old does not need an iPad.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Hi,

My 5 year old daughter has done superb at school. I do things a little different in my house. I dont just dish out presents for nothing. I illustrate 3 options. One small present for poor effort, then one for medium effort and a top prize for best effort. With the glowing 98% mark she got in the effort coloum of here teachers report im blow away and so proud of her. I simply must reward this as promised and then some!

(Note effort not grades. Not everyone can be a straight A's student. My only concern is she has an incentive to try her hardest and realizes early on that things don't grow on trees for many of us.)

So, time for skint daddy to stump up for an iPad :eek: Im not wealthy by any stretch of the mile. But will gladly sell the shirt of my back to reward her.

So, im not that good at this technology stuff but know enough to get by.

Options seem to be iPad 2 vs iPad mini as they cost a similar amount. My daughter is 5, shes gonna be watching stuff like Kung fu panda and other DVDs she already has and playing app store games mostly. She wont have Email but facetime is essential. The iPad will never leave our house.
Can anyone advise me between the two?

I have a load of xvid backups of my DVD collection and my daughters children DVDs too on my PC. Will I be able to stream them across to here iPad? I understand the iPads dont use Xvid and you have to do a conversion. But then with that comes the space to house all of this and the price between a 16 gig and a 64 gig is double. Id much rather get the 16 gig and stream over from my PCs hard drive.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Why would you get her anything when she does a bad job? When I was a kid I used to get stuff taken away if I started stuffing up. When I did well, I'd get some awesome stuff -so I ended up doing pretty well and getting pretty spoiled.

I'm scared for the world that is run by adults who as children got a trophy just for participating. But you also have to give this guy props for loving his kid -It's a hell of a lot better than him ignoring her.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why would you get her anything when she does a bad job? When I was a kid I used to get stuff taken away if I started stuffing up. When I did well, I'd get some awesome stuff -so I ended up doing pretty well and getting pretty spoiled.

I'm scared for the world that is run by adults who as children got a trophy just for participating. But you also have to give this guy props for loving his kid -It's a hell of a lot better than him ignoring her.

Personally, getting rewarded for doing well in school, or conversely, getting punished for not doing well, strikes me as strange concepts. My parents never did that. I got gifts for Christmas and birthdays, or occasionary just because there was something nice my parents just wanted to give me, but they were never tied to my school performance. I was encouraged to do my best in school, but the attitude was that learning was its own reward. And gifts was because my parents loved and cared for me, whether or not I did well in my schoolwork.

I do think my parents would have gotten me an iPad if they had been around when I was little. I asked my mother, and she said she would have given me one as soon as I was born, lol. But only because it would have been a good tool for me to have, and she would have used it with me, and made sure I was not just using it to play games, but to learn from it.

My parents never used things as reward or punishment. Doing good was praised, and doing bad was scolded, and that was all the motivation I needed -- and I feel lucky to have grown up that way.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I would suggest iPod Touch.

For her size it would be easy to carry, but she can still see movies and play games with her small hands.

Cases are plentiful and colorful, including girly types. :)

And if she takes great care of it, in 3 years she can get s super retina mini!

If she brakes it, not as expensive. :rolleyes:

And congrats for being a great dad and having a wonderful daughter!!

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Sad thread. I'm embarrassed for the OP. You reward her for poor effort? She got a 98 percent so she gets a $500 toy? She's five. It's not like she just aced her senior year trig exam and is headed to Harvard.

Now, I've seen a few people defending you saying "Hey, it's his money and his family. He can do as he sees fit". OP essentially said this as well. This is a true statement but the OP invited criticism by telling us what a great dad he is and what a wonderful kid he has. If he had simply said, "I need some info on an iPad for my daughter", etc, etc. and didn't elaborate it would have been a simple matter.

OP, I'm sure you have a great kid. No one is arguing that. But don't brag about your parenting skills (preparing her, teaching her responsibility, etc) and then get in a huff when you're challenged on that. YOU brought it up.

And I'm sorry, but many people who had to work for things in their lives find this reward a bit offensive.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Sad thread. I'm embarrassed for the OP. You reward her for poor effort? She got a 98 percent so she gets a $500 toy? She's five. It's not like she just aced her senior year trig exam and is headed to Harvard.

Now, I've seen a few people defending you saying "Hey, it's his money and his family. He can do as he sees fit". OP essentially said this as well. This is a true statement but the OP invited criticism by telling us what a great dad he is and what a wonderful kid he has. If he had simply said, "I need some info on an iPad for my daughter", etc, etc. and didn't elaborate it would have been a simple matter.

OP, I'm sure you have a great kid. No one is arguing that. But don't brag about your parenting skills (preparing her, teaching her responsibility, etc) and then get in a huff when you're challenged on that. YOU brought it up.

And I'm sorry, but many people who had to work for things in their lives find this reward a bit offensive.

I think talking about an ipad as a reward is the problem. An ipad or computer is a tool. It's (partly) because of using these things that children will have a leg up or do well.

You don't sit and wait for them to do well in order to "reward" them with something designed to help them learn.

My daughter has had an ipad (or access to mine) since they came out. She's 6 now. Reading at a 5th grade level. Her school wants her to skip second grade but we've resisted. She swept the awards in all subjects in Kindergarten last year as well as nailing the overall academic award (heck, i didn't even know they were doing these awards during graduation).

Certainly I don't attribute this to simply owning an ipad but it's played a small part..she's practically got a library of books she's acquired. Think of it as empowering your kid, not rewarding them. If you wait til they're older, you've waited too long. These kids are sponges at this age.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
You're right, she really needs to customise her device more than she needs a simple device with a wide array of apps

But if the ipad has more and better apps, then that makes it a better device

I was being sarcastic

----------

As I said, the ipad mini has a wider selection if apps which can prove a benefit

I actually think that the kindle fire HD would be a compelling tablet. I didn't think of that

Why do your posts end like this

Do you think periods are a waste of time

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Did someone mention an actual book? At 5 Years - my rewards for effort would be MY time MY love My support - and a books wisdom, especially math, cultures and languages.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Why do your posts end like this

Do you think periods are a waste of time

Why does it matter? Did it stop you understanding what they were trying to say?

Also, if you're going to moan about someone's grammar, shouldn't you have put a question mark at the end of your question?

To answer on topic, the iPad Mini is a brilliant little tablet and would probably be perfect from a size perspective, but there have been suggestions that the glass may be thinner and therefore easier to break than the iPad 2 so you may want to consider that.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Brradley.

Families are different man. Dunno what to say to you.

I switch on TV and watch spoilts 16 year olds getting given Ferrari's because there spoilt rotten. How could they be anything other?

I dont run things liken that. If my daughter had got 15% for effort (the only column of the report im interested in) then she'd have got a doll and nothing more. I would deliberately be harsh so she can see she has to stick in at school. Luckily Ive avoided this.

But 98%??? Im amazed and very proud and this HAS to be rewarded on the scale it deserves.

Im not very wealthy at all. Infact thanks to the recession and loosing my job ive never been more skint. But it is my duty to reward this.

If I have to pull out like this every year and then one day when shes 21 she gets a first on her honors degree then I honestly don't care.

Dude, she's 5. Everyone gets like 98% when kids are 5. This is so ridiculous I'm thinking this may be a troll.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
To answer on topic, the iPad Mini is a brilliant little tablet and would probably be perfect from a size perspective, but there have been suggestions that the glass may be thinner and therefore easier to break than the iPad 2 so you may want to consider that.

The glass *is* thinner, but this is the first time I've heard anybody say it might be easier to break! Just get a good case for it, and make sure the kid knows not to use it as a frisbee (though it's tempting to try, it's so light!).

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

I don't think people's problems here is the iPad but rather the context the OP is putting it in.

----------

The glass *is* thinner, but this is the first time I've heard anybody say it might be easier to break! Just get a good case for it, and make sure the kid knows not to use it as a frisbee (though it's tempting to try, it's so light!).

The mini screen is slightly raised like the iPhone 5 so that may make it easier to break if it lands on a corner when dropped. And yeh the thinner screen is slightly noticeable. Moderate pressure on the screen discolours it and I can definitely notice it feeling a bit more softer than the bigger iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.