Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
i like pages, numbers, and keynote better

Me too—except, Keynote only by reputation. Word and Excel’s usability is great.... if you have years of habits to dull the pain. I don’t, so I despise them. (I’m more likely to use OpenOffice anyway... which I also despise, but they don’t charge me for it.)

Exactly. If they offer a fully baked office programme, fully compatible with existing office documents then for the Enterprise, iPad use will explode.

Which is why MS won’t do that. They’ll deliver something halfway. Which might still be well-designed, and might be useful for some purposes.

Meanwhile, third parties (like OnLive Desktop, even—which is FULL Office) meet the iOS Office need—not perfectly, but not bad either.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
These apps are guaranteed to suck.

First, Microsoft is going "all in" on their Surface tablet. The full version of Office that comes on Surface tablets is one of the few compelling reasons to even consider a Surface over an iPad (even more so now that we've all read reviews that say everything else about the Surface pretty much sucks). Microsoft would be insane to give up that advantage.

Second, full Office is massive bloatware and wouldn't run on an Apple tablet without a major strip-down. It's built on piles of legacy code dating back decades. It's no wonder that a Surface tablet consumes half its memory with just the base software install, and why Surface can't even run Office in native Win 8 Metro mode but must instead revert to desktop mode to run built-in office. How sad is that? I can only conclude that the Office team couldn't massage this bloatware into something tablet-ready in time.

I could really use full Office on my iPad. But I won't hold out hope that Microsoft will deliver it. At least Quickoffice is advancing in functionality (including Track Changes now) and I can use CloudOn or RDP/VNC to get full office when I need it.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Which is why MS won’t do that. They’ll deliver something halfway. Which might still be well-designed, and might be useful for some purposes.

Agreed. Microsoft doesn't do anything for the Apple platform without gimping it in some way.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
They sure have been taking there sweet time with this. There have been rumors they have been working on Office for IOS for years.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
You must be joking. Office Word on Windows Phone 8 doesn't even have autosave, so when you get out of the app just for a second you lose everything. Apple's Pages is so much better.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Apple + iWork Software

Apple: PLEASE update & continue to develop iWork suite of Keynote, Numbers, Pages for OSX & iOS!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Apple: PLEASE update & continue to develop iWork suite of Keynote, Numbers, Pages for OSX & iOS!

The iWork suite was just updated few days ago to give better compatibility with MS Office, Track changes was added to Pages, etc.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
You all realize this will be a badly crippled version of MS-Office and require an ongoing subscription to Office360, right?

Really?? What do you dislike about iWork?
It's for kids. Doesn't work in Corporate America or Universities.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Why?

Really?? What do you dislike about iWork?

I love iWork, but I never use it.

Any time I need to share a document I need it to be .doc or .xlsx format because they don't have iWork. I don't trust iWork to convert it perfectly, and it has to be perfect, because if cells don't reference properly or if formatting is off then it comes across as sub par and incompetent.

Or rather, I come across that way.

iWorks works on Apple OS X and iOS

I have Office For Mac: 2011 on my Apple MacBook Pro but like to access documents on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini sometimes. I purchased Numbers, Pages and Keynote Apps on my laptop for $21 each and the equilvant iOS Apps for $10.50 each. I can open Excel and Word documents appearing almost the same, save them in the iCloud, open and update on any of my hardware which is simply brilliant! Can share the iWorks documents, even to PCs. I won't need Office 365 and don't care when it comes out, how it functions or if there is a subscription fee.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended

Aw, gawd. That stupid 30% cut on subscriptions through the app store is easiest THE stupidest and greediest move Apple has ever made. Some of the contentious things they've done are at least a little understandable, if not completely agreeable. This? Not in the least.

I know. I know. Someone's gonna come in and say that it's Apple's store and blah blah blah. For apps, yeah, you're right. Apple deserves a cut of that, since they're hosting the files and acting as the storefront. But charging for subscriptions to things like Netflix and extra drive space in Dropbox? It's like Samsung charging HBO a 30% cut because people are watching the channel on a Samsung TV.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I think most people would rather open up their lap top and do serious work on full programs instead of paying for a subscription for the potential stripped versions.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I wonder how Microsoft is going to shoehorn the Windows 8 desktop onto iOS.
You know, so Office users can have the same experience on iOS and Windows RT.

After seeing the way many multi-platform apps translate from Android, MacOS, iOS, Windows, Linux, etc. I have a feeling that the iOS version will be dumbed down a bit. I was shocked to see how much the previous version of Evernote looked on an iPhone after using it on my iPad and Android phone for so long.

so it means you even don't use them (Pages, Numbers)?
Pages suks, Numbers even worst.

For the tablet versions I would agree, and am still crossing my fingers for a total revamp of the software. The desktop versions haven't changed since 2009 and the iOS versions are too much of a breakaway in terms of UI.

Numbers on the iPad is just about unusable unless you just want to look at or make simple edits to your spreadsheet, and since none of them play nice with Dropbox or Google Drive you're left with virtually no solid cross-platform cloud solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.