Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swagged

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Gotham City, New York
I ordered my phone Oct.1 had to wait for apple to ship it 3-4 weeks later when I received it and began service with AT&T, and now the iPhone 5s with the long awaited NFC is supposedly coming mid 2013. AT&T is not going to let me upgrade.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I ordered my phone Oct.1 had to wait for apple to ship it 3-4 weeks later when I received it and began service with AT&T, and now the iPhone 5s with the long awaited NFC is supposedly coming mid 2013. AT&T is not going to let me upgrade.

Doesn't take long to become eligible for early upgrade which is $250 more than a fully discounted upgrade. You should be able to get the $250 back if not the whole price by selling the 5.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

So. Just buy it outright. Geesh

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Of course not, you just signed a two year contract.

Riddle me this though, which of the following do you buy immediately after a new version is released?

Your car? Yearly release for new models
Your computer? Yearly release for updates
Your TV? New ones every year
Your house? I hear they're building new ones of those every day
Your kids? If you have a new model the old ones are, by your logic, obsolete.
Your phone? Not sure why yours will stop functioning now that the 5S has been...what, rumored to possibly come out next year?

If you want to play that game just sit at home and look at all the new shiny on the internet, ANYTHING you purchase is obsolete from the day it ships to you.

Or, wild idea, I know, you can enjoy what you have. For comparison sake:

MBP Rev 1 (almost 7 years old) - still used occasionally
iPhone 2G - (5 years old) Perfect condition, used occasionally
iPhone 3G - (4 years old) Still good condition, retired recently
iPhone 4 - (almost 3 years old) Perfect condition, currently being used by my GF
TV - 6 years old, used daily
PS3 - 3 years old, works perfectly, used daily
Gamecube - 10 years old, used daily
Wii - 5 years old, works perfectly, used often
iPhone 5 - (less than 4 months old) Works perfectly and will continue to do so regardless if a newer model is released, used daily.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
meh, who cares? First off, rumor. Second off, incrimental updates at best, third I bet iOS is what will "bring the bacon" -- not the hardware itself (and you'll be able to get the new iOS version). fourth, can't anyone just appreciate what they have anymore?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Just go through with ordering the 5. The 5S hasn't even been announced it. Your 5 isn't going to implode when the 5S is released anyway.

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I've seen this stated on here many times, and it would appear especially appropriate to the OP: "First world problems."

As others have said, enjoy what you have and don't worry about having to be in your update cycle every time a new phone is released. Frankly, if you did that you'd never pull the trigger on a new widget because there's always going to be another new widget released in a year or so.

Or, simply sell your current model and buy the next iteration outright next go-round.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

I hear a new android phone is coming out in 2013. Also a new Mac of some sorts. Also a new car.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Give the guy a break...

I, for one, never buy ANYTHING because there always seems to be something better right around the corner. I just wait, and wait, and wait some more, while all you suckers enjoy your phones.

I'll have the last laugh though when Apple releases: iPhone TE (The End), which will NEVER be upgraded or improved. I will be the only one who can afford it because I didn't waste my money "upgrading".

It's a sweet life, living under this rock :p

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
how much would an iphone 5 sell for mid next year ? the prices are outrageous right now but im going to keep it for a few months

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
meh, who cares? First off, rumor. Second off, incrimental updates at best, third I bet iOS is what will "bring the bacon" -- not the hardware itself (and you'll be able to get the new iOS version). fourth, can't anyone just appreciate what they have anymore?

This right here, its alllll about the iOS..

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012

Don't believe the hype. There will be a new iPhone every year. If you worry about the what the next one will be in a straight jacket soon.

internetguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
whta is the big deal about 5s?
i don't get the OP...

new iphone come and go every year...
and it probably won't be out near june so we still have like half a year to go...

just look at samsung...they are probably coming out a gs4 in march or something, so ppl are suppose to catch up?

if you have money than just buy it, if you don't have money than just don't follow the technology...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I too would like to know what you intend to use NFC for. What are you missing out on today, for example?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Guess I've got a lot of growing up to do, and I'm only 25.

My only question is how much of a difference does it make to you going from one generation to the next in actual use assuming we're not talking about added compliance with a newer wireless standard such as LTE? Say it gets a spec bump rather than a major upgrade. You could sit that one out and catch the next without paying more for the upgrade. I don't use my phone that heavily. It takes pictures when I don't have a real camera. I send texts and emails, and check various financial stuff. It pretty much fits into the facebook and email kinds of habits that most people describe as average computer use on here. With phones I don't think it's really a lack of capability. They've been upgraded to fashion items in spite of utilitarian roots. Personally I don't think you should lose sleep over it. If you're trying to control your spending, you may have to choose your upgrades. Otherwise pay the extra and sell the current one as quickly as possible to recoup maximum value. Some people on here even have old/spare phones that they for a few days as soon as the new ones are announced or predicted.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

It's a rumor. Enjoy your lovely new phone and don't stress about people

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.