Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Just a thought . .. are you backing up to iCloud? On a wifi to DSL (like I have) it would take hours. This would be in the background, but would show up as usage.

----------

no i'm not backing up anything to icloud. even though i'm signed in using my apple id to icloud, everything is turned off.

i charged my iphone 5 again to 100% last night, i just got home 14 hours later, now battery life is down to 85%.

my iphone 4 was charged to 100%, used approximately 40 minutes of usage time during those 14 hours, battery life was down to 91%.

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Is this considered good battery life?

D96737E5-51ED-415A-A50A-5660E6F9F083-590-0000002C091F97FB.jpg

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
If you reset/turn off your iPhone

Does your battery "Time since last full charge" lose its data? I turned mine off and now my info has gone xD.

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
I just turned off my iphone and it did not get erased.
Can anyone tell me if my iphone 5's usage is correct?

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
I just turned off my iphone and it did not get erased.
Can anyone tell me if my iphone 5's usage is correct?

Looks about right, still seems a little on the low side :p
Can you try a reset and see if it deletes the data? (Home + Power button)

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
I'm getting exactly around there as well..On wifi most of the time which bothers me because we are suppose to be receiving 10 hours on wifi.

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
if you're getting crap battery life and haven't done the following, best to do it:

start from scratch. do NOT restore from a backup. most battery drain issues are due to users restoring from their backup.

limit the amount of apps you have on your device. i only have a handful of apps and ensure the apps are not constantly using data

set phone to manual brightness and at around ~15% brightness

make sure to use WiFi whenever possible.

I've done this and no improvements

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Played lots of apps. Extremely happy with battery life considering other posts here xD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 91

Ibtechsavvy

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I turned off cellular data and I didn't have to charge for almost two days, with about 10 hours usage. ( wish I took a couple of screens)

With 3G on, even in the background battery life is doo doo. I heard 6.1 fixes it thogh

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
For some odd reason today I fully charged my iPhone 5 at work. I took it off the charger. For about 17 minutes the percentage dropped to 97%. What the hell? And now my battery is lasting a lot longer tonight. Same cycle. I guess it dropped because the backlight was high because I was outside.

But there is even times when I wake up in the morning. Surf a little and listening to music on my way to work and by the time I get to my job. The precentage dropped to 98% in 15 or 20 minutes. Granted I don't have the battery percentage indicator on but it is still annoying knowing with light use it is dropping.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
I gave in and bought mophie battery pack case. It's so much fun playing with my iPhone so instead of worrying and disabling almost everything, i bought it. It's also more comfortable to hold if you like playing with your iPhone for a good length of time, absorb the warmness very well.

Last edited:

stephen85

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Need people's opinions on the below battery usage.

• 80% of usage is on WIFI
  • Minimal Gaming
  • Minimal Phone Calls (1-2 calls a day lasting 5-15min)
  • Check Instagram / Facebook throughout the day lasting 5mins at a time
  • Watch 1-2 Youtube Video's lasting 10min each
  • Update an app now an again
  • Light Safari (mainly forums/news tech sites)

Xq8Ytgqm

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Guys this happens every single time a new phone comes out from Apple. It usually takes to a point release before it improves as it takes time to optimise the phone.

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Guys this happens every single time a new phone comes out from Apple. It usually takes to a point release before it improves as it takes time to optimise the phone.

If this happens every time, then they should know better and have everything ok for a release. This is not a good thing to have happen to your (now) flagship and a lot of their business is focused on the phone so they need to avoid this.

We have a new iphone 5 received on Monday and it's going from 100 to 0 % in four/five hours with light use. That is pretty worrying.

My Iphone 4s still has the interference sounds coming out of it every time I place a call which is unbearable and no fix as yet. You would have thought I learned my lesson, eh?

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Real-world usage on iPhone 5

I've had a 'feeling' that the iPhone 5 has bad battery but finally remembered today to measure a real world use case.

I had my iPhone charging overnight, used it a bit in the morning and then charged up again until midday; full charge.

I then, read the news for 5 minutes. Got on the underground for 20 minutes with phone in pocket. Used GPS and Google's map website to find a client's site (Apple Maps couldn't find it), this took about 15-20 minutes of GPS usage.

Used Personal hotspot tethering to use my iPad writing and sending some emails, for around 30 minutes.

Send 2-3 text messages.

At around 6pm, used map again to find Tube station. Read news offline underground for 15 minutes. Got home, Phone died.

Shocking really. I'll be buying a battery case from Mophie as soon as they're released I suppose. If the phone takes so much power; please apple, just make it thicker; i'd rather have something that can last a full business day + an evening.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I turned off cellular data and I didn't have to charge for almost two days, with about 10 hours usage. ( wish I took a couple of screens)

With 3G on, even in the background battery life is doo doo. I heard 6.1 fixes it thogh

Of course turning off data will improve the time the battery takes to deplete. You know what? Turning the whole thing off will have an even better improvement :p

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Why should we have to turn everything off to get reasonable battery life?

I want my phone to manage its power effectively.

Using maps for 15-20 minutes and half an hour of tethering should not wipe out a large chunk of battery.

lostjournal

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Add me to the list

I am in India. My iPhone 5 is 20 days old. I am generally on 3G all the time. We do not have LTE and I am hating the battery of my phone. I feel cheated. The usage never goes beyond 5.5 hours with almost everything disabled. I have paid close to $850 to get a 16 GB version and I feel duped. I thought my Dell Streak 5 had the worst battery of all - but I was so wrong until I met iPhone 5.

In India, even the support sucks.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
I am in India. My iPhone 5 is 20 days old. I am generally on 3G all the time. We do not have LTE and I am hating the battery of my phone. I feel cheated. The usage never goes beyond 5.5 hours with almost everything disabled. I have paid close to $850 to get a 16 GB version and I feel duped. I thought my Dell Streak 5 had the worst battery of all - but I was so wrong until I met iPhone 5.

I second this. You have to blame the network too though for horrible battery life. The same phone when I used in my trip to Dubai last week had great battery performance.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Something is wrong with y'all's battery life if your phone dies that quickly. I can go for two days, if I wanted. 2 hours usage on WiFi, 20% battery gone. Almost no standby drain.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

I took my AT&T iPhone 5 roaming in Southern India. With data turned off, the phone would last 4 days before needing charging with occasional call use + frequent music use. Data roaming was too expensive for me, so did not use 3G.

Back in AZ, I would be lucky for the phone to make it through the day. I have only marginal LTE leaking in from neighboring Phoenix - causing the horrible battery suck.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
photo4ib.jpg

Heres after a full day of use

No LTE (thanks sprint)
Wifi for about half of the phone's life - I use wifi in school and at home and 3g everywhere else

Apps I use:
Reddit
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Gmail
Heavy Texting and iMessaging
one-two phone calls
Slight video watching

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.