Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Not really; I know people who use their cell phone cameras for self shots 90 percent of the time. The number of people who use their cameras exclusively for self shots is higher than you think. People just won't admit it publicly.

Maybe higher than I think, but still negligible. So what do you do with these self portraits? Ogle them? Surely you don't post all of them to FB.

If you tell me you send them to your long distance partner, I'm sure nobody will harass you. But you're digging a hole by basically implying that you're taking them for yourself, which lends itself to narcissism (a disliked trait).

Last edited:

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Maybe higher than I think, but still negligible. So what do you do with these self portraits? Ogle them? Surely you don't post all of them to FB.

If you tell me you send them to your long distance partner, I'm sure nobody will harass you. But you're digging a hole by basically implying that you're taking them for yourself, which lends itself to narcissism (a disliked trait).

Honestly? Yes I am very narcissistic. I like to take 50+ shots at one time (sometimes more than 50) and only use the BEST one for FB etc. It's hard to take nice shots of yourself because of the stability factor when holding the camera and pics can turn out fuzzy/blurry/unflattering.

I do like to ogle them as well. I like to see what I look like when using different products on my face and different looks. I have gigs of photos of myself on my desktop since I transfer them from my Sony camera to my PC... yea like thousands of pics... so what? Is it a crime to be narcissistic? I am not here to win a popularity contest. I don't care if people like my "personal qualities".

This is not a "social" forum; I am not here to be liked or make friends. I am only here to discuss features of phones I am considering buying (right now S3 ir Iphone5). Whether you like me personally or find me narcissistic is irrelevant to me; I do not care if you like me. I am here to talk phones; not to make friends.

Asking me why I take so many pics of myself and the purpose is actually "OFF TOPIC" and derailing the topic at hand. I am not obligated to explain my personal motives to you. This forum is to discuss PHONES; not my narcissism... What does that have to do with phones? The name of this subforum is "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices".... To discuss devices; not my character flaws.

I am not here to be "liked" or to have people think I have a "great personality". I don't care.

Why would I be "digging a hole" by admitting I take photos of myself? Why would I need your approval or anyone else's approval of my character or reason for taking self pics? What makes you think your opinion is relevant to me? Who do you think you are to me that your opinion even matters? Why don't you stay on-topic and discuss "phone specs" since that is what this forum is for.

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Honestly? Yes I am very narcissistic. I like to take 50+ shots at one time (sometimes more than 50) and only use the BEST one for FB etc. It's hard to take nice shots of yourself because of the stability factor when holding the camera and pics can turn out fuzzy/blurry/unflattering.

I do like to ogle them as well. I like to see what I look like when using different products on my face and different looks. I have gigs of photos of myself on my desktop since I transfer them from my Sony camera to my PC... yea like thousands of pics... so what? Is it a crime to be narcissistic? I am not here to win a popularity contest. I don't care if people like my "personal qualities".

This is not a "social" forum; I am not here to be liked or make friends. I am only here to discuss features of phones I am considering buying (right now S3 ir Iphone5). Whether you like me personally or find me narcissistic is irrelevant to me; I do not care if you like me. I am here to talk phones; not to make friends.

Asking me why I take so many pics of myself and the purpose is actually "OFF TOPIC" and derailing the topic at hand. I am not obligated to explain my personal motives to you. This forum is to discuss PHONES; not my narcissism... What does that have to do with phones? The name of this subforum is "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices".... To discuss devices; not my character flaws.

I am not here to be "liked" or to have people think I have a "great personality". I don't care.

My bad, as you were.

Last edited:

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Well I'm glad you can admit it's a flaw. I feel sorry for you; these things are usually caused by some harmful experience or another . But my bad, as you were.

Maybe I should report you to the mods...

Off-topic posts. Off-topic posts will be deleted/edited. If you keep doing it see "Repeated problems" below. Threads and posts on controversial political, religious, and social issues are to be limited to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum, and made only by those eligible for that forum.

--------------------

My topic was exclusively about phones. However, you brought it upon yourself to ask what I intended to use those photos for and that it was narcissistic to take photos of oneself. I don't see how that is relevant to a discussion about PHONES... Also, calling me narcissistic and and making assumptions about previous experiences is insulting and also an offense.

So reported you will be... :)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Maybe I should report you to the mods...

Off-topic posts. Off-topic posts will be deleted/edited. If you keep doing it see "Repeated problems" below. Threads and posts on controversial political, religious, and social issues are to be limited to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum, and made only by those eligible for that forum.

--------------------

My topic was exclusively about phones. However, you brought it upon yourself to ask what I intended to use those photos for and that it was narcissistic to take photos of oneself. I don't see how that is relevant to a discussion about PHONES... Also, calling me narcissistic and and making assumptions about previous experiences is insulting and also an offense.

So reported you will be... :)

I was on topic. Then I just stated that people would continue to harass you if you keep implying you're a narcissist. Then you made long responses, to which I responded. I just said I wouldn't respond anymore, but ok.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
The funny thing is that I cannot find any mirror shots from doing a quick google search of anyone with an S3... however, there are thousands of mirror shots online from Iphone users... Like literally thousands... if you google "mirror shots iphone" in Google images... Most people who like taking pics of themselves are iphone users...

Does anyone have a link to a mirror shot of themselves taken with S3? or can link me to photos? Just curious what it looks like...

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The funny thing is that I cannot find any mirror shots from doing a quick google search of anyone with an S3... however, there are thousands of mirror shots online from Iphone users... Like literally thousands...

Maybe most S3 users are more productive and don't stand in front of a mirror taking pictures of themselves. :D

But here's a random S3 picture I found.

tumblr_mam7niE2jy1rtl82vo1_1280.jpg

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
The funny thing is that I cannot find any mirror shots from doing a quick google search of anyone with an S3... however, there are thousands of mirror shots online from Iphone users... Like literally thousands... if you google "mirror shots iphone" in Google images... Most people who like taking pics of themselves are iphone users...

Does anyone have a link to a mirror shot of themselves taken with S3? or can link me to photos? Just curious what it looks like...

Taken from: http://winniekepala.com/2012/06/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-user-review/

Here ya go:

Attachments

• SGS3-Review-20120525-001.jpg
    SGS3-Review-20120525-001.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 111

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Let's get right to it. You don't sound technologically savvy (no offense). Both phones have great cameras. Overall, the iPhone 5 has a better camera. You really can't go wrong either way. Unless you consider yourself a photographer, and no I don't mean take a picture, make it black and white and then call it art, but instead a real photographer, then you probably won't be able to tell a difference. That's all there is to it.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Let's get right to it. You don't sound technologically savvy (no offense). Both phones have great cameras. Overall, the iPhone 5 has a better camera. You really can't go wrong either way. Unless you consider yourself a photographer, and no I don't mean take a picture, make it black and white and then call it art, but instead a real photographer, then you probably won't be able to tell a difference. That's all there is to it.

I am quite technologically savvy, believe it or not. I am aware that the iphone5 has better camera for taking regular shots. I posted so on the first page. What part of my question made it seem as if I wasn't tech savvy? Just because I like to take photos of myself does not mean I am not tech savvy. Technically speaking there huge differences between taking a pic of another person and taking a self shot due to the angle and stability factors. I have a very picky eye so I myself can see a difference between cameras... I could definitely tell the difference between image quality between the S3 and Iphone 5; link to the article was posted by me on the 1st page. S3 has more saturation and overexposure issues....

I am VERY tech savvy; I am just obsessive and I CAN tell the difference no matter how minor. I only want pics that are the most flattering. There is a huge difference between a camera that has a mechanism to improve stability as the S3 does. The S3 also has a beauty shot feature which makes photoshop uneccessary.... so there are differences between the two phones.

What would make you think that I am not tech savvy from what I have posted? Personally I CAN tell the difference.... http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6454_7...s-samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-htc-one-x-the-cameras/ I only want the MOST flattering photos...

If you have read EVERY post I have written in this topic (and not just the first one), you would have seen how tech savvy I am.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I am quite technologically savvy, believe it or not. I am aware that the iphone5 has better camera for taking regular shots. I posted so on the first page. What part of my question made it seem as if I wasn't tech savvy? Just because I like to take photos of myself does not mean I am not tech savvy. Technically speaking there huge differences between taking a pic of another person and taking a self shot due to the angle and stability factors. I have a very picky eye so I myself can see a difference between cameras... I could definitely tell the difference between image quality between the S3 and Iphone 5; link to the article was posted by me on the 1st page. S3 has more saturation and overexposure issues....

I am VERY tech savvy; I am just obsessive and I CAN tell the difference no matter how minor. I only want pics that are the most flattering. There is a huge difference between a camera that has a mechanism to improve stability as the S3 does. The S3 also has a beauty shot feature which makes photoshop uneccessary.... so there are differences between the two phones.

What would make you think that I am not tech savvy from what I have posted? Personally I CAN tell the difference.... http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6454_7...s-samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-htc-one-x-the-cameras/ I only want the MOST flattering photos...

If you have read EVERY post I have written in this topic (and not just the first one), you would have seen how tech savvy I am.

Wow, your attitude definitely coincides with your need to take thousands of self portraits. How dare I try to help you. How dare I.

Anyways, the iPhone 5 has a 3-axis gyro and accelerometer, much like the GS3. So most 3rd party camera apps on the iPhone will incorporate a stabilizer. For example, the most popular 3rd party camera app does this. And its only 99¢.

Not to mention this will come with every kind of color/brightness/contrast control you could ever want. So it is more advanced that a "beauty" mode and can give better results. And considering your proposed "tech savviness" you should be just fine. Although there are of course third party camera apps for Android as well. So with that in mind, both platforms have third party camera apps that can give you the same functionality. But software can only do so much with given hardware. And the camera on the iPhone 5 is better.

So app functionality will be about equal for both phones when considering third party apps. But the overall camera quality for the iPhone 5 will be better.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Wow, your attitude definitely coincides with your need to take thousands of self portraits. How dare I try to help you. How dare I.

Anyways, the iPhone 5 has a 3-axis gyro and accelerometer, much like the GS3. So most 3rd party camera apps on the iPhone will incorporate a stabilizer. For example, the most popular 3rd party camera app does this. And its only 99¢.

Not to mention this will come with every kind of color/brightness/contrast control you could ever want. So it is more advanced that a "beauty" mode and can give better results. And considering your proposed "tech savviness" you should be just fine. Although there are of course third party camera apps for Android as well. So with that in mind, both platforms have third party camera apps that can give you the same functionality. But software can only do so much with given hardware. And the camera on the iPhone 5 is better.

So app functionality will be about equal for both phones when considering third party apps. But the overall camera quality for the iPhone 5 will be better.

Thanks... that was helpful.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I was just scrolling though Facebook looking at pics thinking about this. I literally deleted 27 "friends" that did the whole self portrait thing in a mirror. Here's the common denominator, pics is in their bedroom at their parents house even though they are old enough to move out, always surrounded by drama, no real career usually low end retail, parties to the point of making a fool of themselves.

Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone . But it did apply for the people I knew, I'm actually really happy I did that! Good riddance....

On topic, get the iPhone 5 all the people I deleted were using iPhone's and a lot of them looked really good. Some you wouldnt even recognize in real life due to Facebook angles...

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Why not just get someone to take a picture of you? No wait, they would get bored incredibly quickly, as would I if I were constantly taking pictures of myself.

Back on topic I would vote s3 as you can use the rear camera for self portrait shots just by saying 'snap' or 'cheese'

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Facebook is making kids nowadays so dumb...

One day you will grow up and mature (hopefully) and you'll understand how stupid you were taking pictures of yourself and posting them online...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

You don't say.

I don't even know why people like to do this kind of stuff anyway. And the trend applies more to girls than guys. Our generation is really degrading very badly, just look around the conventional society.

Did any of our parents ever do this kind of ridiculous stuff?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
FWIW, compared to my old iP4, my SSGS3 photos blow. Too much noise and the image is never sharp.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012

One day you will grow up and mature (hopefully) and you'll understand how stupid you were taking pictures of yourself and posting them online...

I'm not going to put my real age on here but just to let you know; I am way over 28... so hardly a kid. I am near middle aged actually and would be fine proving it to a MODERATOR by providing actual proof; documentation, driver's license or anything else they would like to see...

I live in L.A and am also willing to verify in persona (locally) and meet a moderator or a trusted individual from this board in person and show them DL and other documents. How many other "trolls" do you know that would go through such lengths in order to verify and prove the fact that they are not a "kid"?

I do not appreciate being slandered and falsely accused of being a kid when I am not and I can PROVE it as well. How is that for making you eat your words?

Why not just get someone to take a picture of you? No wait, they would get bored incredibly quickly, as would I if I were constantly taking pictures of myself.

Back on topic I would vote s3 as you can use the rear camera for self portrait shots just by saying 'snap' or 'cheese'

I live alone and have for the past 15 years.... I take pics of myself as a hobby.

Last edited:

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
You don't say.

I don't even know why people like to do this kind of stuff anyway. And the trend applies more to girls than guys. Our generation is really degrading very badly, just look around the conventional society.

Did any of our parents ever do this kind of ridiculous stuff?

I was born before 1980. Let's leave it at that. I can prove it as well.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
best thread I've read all week. I usually never smile this time of year, but OP, you made it happen.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Even worse...

It is irrelevant to me whether you think it is worse. I simply wanted to set people straight in regards to making incorrect assumptions about me that they deemed as fact; the fact that I am a "kid" (in their words). My purpose was only to set them straight and provide proof. Your opinion of my character is irrelevant to me. However, statements about my presumed age which are inaccurate are slanderous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.