Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Black. Mostly because it matches the vast majority of my shoes, clutches and purses.

I'm sure it's obvious that I am a woman.

Never been a fan of white phones.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I chose black because it is what i'm used to mainly. Had dark phones all my life and I like it that way. (insert once you go black joke here... :D)

The white to me just wasnt appealing. The two tone colors just didnt work well and the color inbetween the main white of the phone (the phrase is escaping me right now) just didnt look good.

NYDiplomat

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
I've always had a black phone. If the iPhone would ever come out with a dark gray phone. I would be all over it.

mtondreo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
wanted black - got white because of inventory. has a black case on it though. also - I don't think anyone mentioned on here that the white is actually faster.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I picked black because I am male.

What does being a male have to do with it?

----------

I went with white because of inventory but I like how it doesn't scratch as easily as the black. It grew on me. Also I am confident with my sexuality unlike some others.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I really like both designs, but I had always loved how the white iPhone 4/4s looked. This was my first iPhone, so I opted for the white. All of the scuffing issues with the black model influenced my decision as well. SOMETIMES, I do wish I had got the black though. Love the way it looks.

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
I really like both designs, but I had always loved how the white iPhone 4/4s looked. This was my first iPhone, so I opted for the white. All of the scuffing issues with the black model influenced my decision as well. SOMETIMES, I do wish I had got the black though. Love the way it looks.

imo the black looks too plain.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
White cause it's sleeker and nicer

----------

What does being a male have to do with it?

----------

I went with white because of inventory but I like how it doesn't scratch as easily as the black. It grew on me. Also I am confident with my sexuality unlike some others.

I picked white confidently and I am male also so ya...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I normally prefer whites iOS gears, but I think black iPhone 5 is nicer looking this time around.

Having said that, I still picked white for practical reasons. (1) it scuffs less, (2) it does not show fingerprint, dirt, and scratches as much as black, and (3) I like how it matches iOS accessories (which are almost all white) better.

naisdes

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I had a white iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S III, so it was time to go back to black for the iPhone 5. Looks more professional. My iPad Mini is white though because it looks pretty cool. iPad 2 was also black.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
White, i love how the bezel sparkles when u look at it from a distance and the black one shows too many finger prints

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
That is because they tend to be cheaper, all cars are white first... It is the base paint... Then, after the base paint, they become black, red, yellow or whatever...
Nothing to do with choice of iPhone colour though...;)

Whut??? That's not true! The white base paint is not the final coat of paint before the clear coat. My grandfather did paint work for Cadillac for several years. The reason is because most white cars aren't just 'standard white' they almost all have a tint to them that is mixed specifically for each manufacturer. :)

Nowadays, white paint can cost a few hundred dollars extra on some cars

And hey people, what's with all the bimmers? Where's the mercedes love??

Last edited:

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i went with the black iphone 5 mainly because:

1) primary reason, the color itself is just screams iphone 5. if i chose white, it would have looked like an iphone 4/4S. i had a white iphone 4 before selling it, and getting the 5.

2) the secondary reason is: the black iphone just looks good in a lot of cases thats being produced out there. the white phone 5, well theres only a few cases where the white one will look good on it. i'm sporting the black incipio frequency case with my black iphone 5, and the combination just looks great.

my only gripe about the black iphone 5 with the incipio frequency case combo is that dusts is visibly more noticeable, especially when i put it in my pants/jeans pocket, and take it out afterwards.

aerre

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Went to the store. Asked for a black one. They only had the white. No choice. I got it. I'm happy.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
Don't have an iphone5 yet... Generally I only drive black cars and use black phones; it looks sexier, more powerful, conveys authority and respect. I like to be taken serious perceive a "powerful" image... I LOVE driving a black car; it gets dirty fast but I feel "powerful" driving it, like people take me seriously and give me more respect. It's probably all in my head but as long as it makes me "feel" that way then why not?

However, from what I've been reading black iphone5 shows scratches faster which is the only reason why I am leaning towards white... however, aesthetically black looks better.

Look at Presidents and Prime Ministers; do they drive white cars? No, they always get chauffeured in black cars because it looks more "official" and "prestigious". I want to be taken seriously. Nothing looks more powerful than a black Benz or BMW.... However, I don't want a scratched up iphone so I still have to consider white...
y u no audi?

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I chose black for my iPhone 5.
- I had a white 4S and wanted it to look different
- The all black iPhone 5 is just incredibly sexy and sleek.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
That is because they tend to be cheaper, all cars are white first... It is the base paint... Then, after the base paint, they become black, red, yellow or whatever...
Nothing to do with choice of iPhone colour though...;)

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's not like manufacturers just throw clearcoat over the base layer and sell it- white cars go through exactly the same processes a black car does.

All of the cars I've looked at have least black & white as a no cost option (some have nonmetallic silver/red/etc available too). Some colors cost more due to their metallic qualities, not because it's a different color.

y u no audi?

I've got a Glacier White S4 as well :) I seem to have a thing for white cars, yet I prefer black gadgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.