Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
The difference between the authentic and fakes is that the authentic is anodized aluminum and the fakes are painted. The difference in quality finish clearly shows.

artkrime

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Note: The pictures are slightly yellow because of the lighting but the color is a very nice gunmetal color. Black case pics coming next.

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

artkrime

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Exact same packaging as mine! be warned that the carbon fiber back is seriously sticky and seemed to mess up my wifi, and it does leave a bit of residue if you do decide to remove.

You are right! The Carbon Fiber cover greatly affects the Wifi reception :mad: It's a shame, I really like the CF cover, I guess Ill have to go with a sticker back cover.

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
Mine came with a black suede sticker for the back. I think it looks nice, just hoping that it doesn't leave a lot of residue if I ever decide to take it off

artkrime

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Mine came with a black suede sticker for the back. I think it looks nice, just hoping that it doesn't leave a lot of residue if I ever decide to take it off

I had a replica Black Ops case on my 4S with the suede and it came off easily. Also, I just removed the CF cover, no residue, came off easy.

artkrime

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Looking good. Wish it had the black links (corners)

Update: just talked to a supplier and they already have a version 2 :D They have fixed the logo size on the side as well as corrected a couple other flaws, as well as including the black links.

sly5349

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Update: just talked to a supplier and they already have a version 2 :D They have fixed the logo size on the side as well as corrected a couple other flaws, as well as including the black links.

Is that from Caseswill or another supplier?

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

goo gone or wd-40 sprayed on a paper towel and rubbed over residue will take that right off

----------

I had a replica Black Ops case on my 4S with the suede and it came off easily. Also, I just removed the CF cover, no residue, came off easy.

I had the black ops also, but the suede was over glass, this time its aluminum/glass, so may adhere differently.

----------

what boggles my mind is this...

These are supposed to knockoffs, but everyone knows there knockoffs, so why go though the expense and time trying to replicate the box, packaging, authenticity cards, logos, etc etc

Makes me think (pretty much convinced) that these are actually comming from the same facility as the authentic ones but are a seperate production run after hours by a few "organized crime" affiliates in china.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
goo gone or wd-40 sprayed on a paper towel and rubbed over residue will take that right off

----------

I had the black ops also, but the suede was over glass, this time its aluminum/glass, so may adhere differently.

----------

These are supposed to knockoffs, but everyone knows there knockoffs, so why go though the expense and time trying to replicate the box, packaging, authenticity cards, logos, etc etc

Makes me think (pretty much convinced) that these are actually comming from the same facility as the authentic ones but are a seperate production run after hours by a few "organized crime" affiliates in china.

These a definitely not after hours authentic Element cases. If examined closely there are many differences.

The finish appears to be paint, not anodizing.
The side openings do not have beveled edges.
The text is painted on, not etched and it is larger, is centered and not Italicized.
There are no pads at the inside of the links.

The effort to copy exactly is because not everyone is aware of small details like we are at Macrumors. We read about these, day in and day out. The average person sees them in adds and Ebay and thinks they are getting a fabulous deal on the real thing.

Last edited:

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010

Which supplier is this ? Do you have a link ?

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007

The whole off hours production thing is oversold by people who want to believe their fakes are more than that. Yes it happens, but only under very specific circumstances with certain products.

First of all, the real Element cases are made in the US, not China.

Second, why fake the packaging? Why fake Rolex boxes and warranty cards? It makes the fake more valuable. People buy these in bulk and then sell them at flea markets and on eBay as the real thing. If the packaging and product are close enough, most people won't be able to tell the difference and will attribute the shoddy workmanship to the real product.

In the case of eBay it is worse, because buyers can't inspect the product. Even with pictures of the fakes with packaging, a majority of people are going to think "Well, it came with all the accessories and even a warranty card that said made in the USA, it can't possibly be fake."

Just look at the watch market. It gets near impossible to buy or sell certain models on the net with any degree of safety due to the very well made counterfeits.

shleif

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Shame on these guys for putting "Made In The USA" on their packaging. It's bad enough that they ripped off Elements design, packaging and logo. Putting Made In The USA is a slap in the face to any legitimate US manufacturer! They clearly are preying on people ignorance! Made In The USA.... What a load of crap!

I can't believe the US customs office allows this stuff to get through. Oh yea, I seem to remember that they (Casewill) use fraudulent declarations on their customs docs. It's a real shame that people in the states are padding these guys pockets by purchasing these counterfeits from them and just as much a shame that our border inspectors allow this stuff to pass through!

That said, it seems as though the consensus is that these rip offs are painted.. I'd bet there is plenty of lead in that crap too!

Sorry for my rant but I despise thief’s and that is exactly what they are! They stole from Element and they are stealing from anybody who buys one of these thinking it’s a real Element case. They are also stealing from every hard working American manufacture and employee by placing that made in the USA logo on their packaging.

Shame on you guys from the states for supporting them by purchasing their rip off's!

Last edited:

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
Does anyone know of a really thin AUX cable (like the size of the apple earpods) that fits with these cases? That's one problem I've found. I can't use it in my car until I find a aux cable with a thin plug

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Shame on these guys for putting "Made In The USA" on their packaging. It's bad enough that they ripped off Elements design, packaging and logo. Putting Made In The USA is a slap in the face to any legitimate US manufacturer! They clearly are preying on people ignorance! Made In The USA.... What a load of crap!

I can't believe the US customs office allows this stuff to get through. Oh yea, I seem to remember that they (Casewill) use fraudulent declarations on their customs docs. It's a real shame that people in the states are padding these guys pockets by purchasing these counterfeits from them and just as much a shame that our border inspectors allow this stuff to pass through!

That said, it seems as though the consensus is that these rip offs are painted.. I'd bet there is plenty of lead in that crap too!

Sorry for my rant but I despise thief’s and that is exactly what they are! They stole from Element and they are stealing from anybody who buys one of these thinking it’s a real Element case. They are also stealing from every hard working American manufacture and employee by placing that made in the USA logo on their packaging.

Shame on you guys from the states for supporting them by purchasing their rip off's!

The real shame is that Element charges $140 for BUMPERS.

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
Note: The pictures are slightly yellow because of the lighting but the color is a very nice gunmetal color. Black case pics coming next.

Any way that you can verify that the black screws from Ace Hardware work?

another thread said that "size 080 miniature machine cap screws at 1/4" long." screws fit in the case and that "The box holding them indicates 080 x 1/4"

Just curious. If you could verify that, I would appreciate it!

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007

another thread said that "size 080 miniature machine cap screws at 1/4" long." screws fit in the case and that "The box holding them indicates 080 x 1/4"

I'm gonna throw a wild guess out there and say that they probably won't. Element makes its cases in the US and they use unified (US/Imperial) screws, and the fakes are made in China so it's pretty likely that they'll use Metric screws.

The size for the regular element screws is properly expressed as #0-80 x 1/4 (size #0, 80 threads per inch, 1/4 inch length).

shleif

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012

If you go into Ace or True Value hardware, they will help you size them. Just bring one of your screws. Or you can go in with your case less one screw and they can size the screw to your case which is what I would do regardless of what size I read on the internet. They have a very large selection of standard and metric hex screws. Only downside to their screws is that their black screws have a different finish than the Element original screws and are more prone to corrosion. That said, you dont have many options short of going to an aerospace fastener supplier to obtain a higher grade of screws.

artkrime

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
about to go to the hardware store to see if they have any in black, otherwise I'll just paint them.

edit: they didn't have any so I sharpied them.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.