Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
I lol at all those who complained of the iPad 3's warmth as a reason to upgrade. Also that the battery life didn't rebound back to iPad 2 performance.

https://www.readability.com/mobile/articles/vbgonyic

Code:
Thermal Comparison - iPad 3 vs. 4 - Infinity Blade 2 Loop (1hr)
Temperature Measurement LocationApple iPad 4Apple iPad 3
Back of Tablet, Apple Logo35.7C34.4C
Back of Tablet, Hottest Point39.9C39.1C

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
We have been given the gift of processing power only available in a desktop tower laded with fans and heat a few years ago in a portable tablet as thin as a pencil and you are complaining about a little warmth?! This is nothing short of ridiculous...

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
we have been given the gift of processing power only available in a desktop tower laded with fans and heat a few years ago in a portable tablet as thin as a pencil and you are complaining about a little warmth?! This is nothing short of ridiculous...

amen!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Wow, I had no idea the screen was such a big improvement over the 3rd Gen!

Amazing that Apple don't make such a big deal over such things.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

Other reviewers did not point to screen improvement so thanks to anand I finally convinced myself I should upgrade from 3 to 4. I can still wait for a good deal on iPad 4 ;)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
my iPad 4 got VERY hot right out of the box. i wiped it clean and restored it again and it solved that problem

i ended up getting rid of it for light bleed though, and went back to an iPad 3 refurb and saved $150

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My ipad 4 is covered with a flip case so i dont feel the heat.
1 Degree will not even be noticed.

Plus my wife's Macbook air gets hot under load and the fans are noisy...
My ipad is quiet no matter what. (No fans obviously):D

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
I lol at all those who complained of the iPad 3's warmth as a reason to upgrade. Also that the battery life didn't rebound back to iPad 2 performance.

https://www.readability.com/mobile/articles/vbgonyic

Code:
Thermal Comparison - iPad 3 vs. 4 - Infinity Blade 2 Loop (1hr)
Temperature Measurement LocationApple iPad 4Apple iPad 3
Back of Tablet, Apple Logo35.7C34.4C
Back of Tablet, Hottest Point39.9C39.1C

Well, I lol right back at you for misinterpreting those numbers. These are temperature readings for high cpu and gpu load, from a game that has already added ipad 4 enhancements. For most tasks, the ipad 4 will complete them faster and as a result be cooler in a lot of use cases. Let's see some temperature readings from both when they're performing like for like tasks.

Notebookcheck found idle temps to be a bit better on the 4 (3-4 degrees on average), and unless you game a ton, your ipad will be closer to those kinds of temps versus full load.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-iPad-4-Tablet.84095.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-iPad-3rd-Gen-2012-4G-Tablet.71925.0.html

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
There is absolutely nothing to complain about when it comes to the heat from an iPad 4.

Agreed--but I think the OP was pointing out that many people justified an upgrade from the iPad 3 to the 4 because they claimed it was too hot, but then we find the iPad 4 is just as warm.

I do remember seeing several threads about how much "cooler" people felt the iPad 4 was. That just goes to show that some of the supposed defects in iPads are entirely in the mind of the user.

S

syd430

No. They are the same panels.its individual panel differences which gave them different scores. This was noted to be a possibility in the review and I can confirm that it's true.

I have seen many 3rd gen and 4th gen panels side by side. Often the 3rd gen is slightly better (objectively), often the 4th gen is . I even had 2 panels that were virtually identical (they seemed to be LG's too). They are using the exact same panels in the 4th gen from the 3rd gen.

So no the 4th panel is not inherently a better panel. You misread the review.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
so Ipad 4 is slightly hotter than Ipad 3 but it cools down faster because it go to sleep mode faster than Ipad 3?

Why bother release Ipad 4 then, should have wait till next year and do somthing with the design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.