Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I disagree, I thought the 4 was actually a good upgrade because of the screen. Like I said before I think the 3GS to the 4S was a bigger update than the 4 to 5... That being said I had antenna issues with the iphone 4 and plenty of dropped calls so go figure.

So if I sell you a computer from 1998, but hook it up to a 4K HD monitor, youd pay me the price of a new computer for it, because its got the "good screen"?

Screen doesn't help you performance and longevity-wise.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Wow, talk about delusion on the part of people suggesting the 'S' upgrades brought more to the table in terms of features.

All you guys are talking about are speed improvements and such, which you get with every generation regardless.

'Breakthrough' features have always been limited to the redesigned 4 and the 5 models:

iPhone 4 - retina screen, FaceTime front facing camera, first true point-and-shoot replacement camera on a smartphone.

iPhone 5 - 4" screen, LTE, all Aluminum design.

How can you argue against these features with what the 3GS and 4S offered?

I suggest you guys go look at the comparison chart I linked again.

App store, AirPlay mirroring, Siri, world phone (CDMA + gsm), wifi sync and iCloud

All brought to you by S iPhones

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
So if I sell you a computer from 1998, but hook it up to a 4K HD monitor, youd pay me the price of a new computer for it, because its got the "good screen"?

Screen doesn't help you performance and longevity-wise.

Invalid comparison because the iPhone 4 was actually capable of driving the display without issues, not like a 1998 computer.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Not sure how true this is, in terms of the science behind it, but the iPhone 4 felt a tad bit slower than the iPhone 3GS, for things like loading web pages and such especially on 3G network.

I wonder, wouldn't the best iPhone upgrade be base on having good enough graphical/computational processing power to flawlessly push the display, strong enough network capability to effectively minimize network bottlenecking to the point where it is barely perceivable, followed by a good amount of RAM (preferably of a speedier variety and as much as possible without becoming a power hog) to ensure larger/more application/applications smooth execution?

Won't a combination of these things ensure greater longevity in terms of future IOS upgrades compared to say, a specific attachment of an S or not to it's name.

If that were the case, the iPhone 5 would probably qualify as worthwhile since it has been significantly upgraded in these quantifiable areas.

Not to mention improvements in loudspeaker clarity, call quality, low light photo shooting, stability improvements/sound reproduction in video taking, a lighter/slimmer new form factor, improved battery life and finally an all new immersive, color accurate, 4 inch display that works well both indoors and out.

P.S. Since the 3G, I have had the distinct privilege of upgrading every single year to the latest. The 5 is perhaps the most tangible, well executed, comprehensive upgrade, cumulated in a single year. Sadly marginalized by the longevity of the excellent iPhone 4S, lifted to impartiality by IOS 6.

Last edited:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I would say the S cycles are better. Let Apple figure out all of the problems that could occur with the "even" numbered phones and fix them up. Plus, all you guys with 5's are screwed from 4" apps and lightning accessories. Once the 5S comes out next year, those problems will be pretty much fixed.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Invalid comparison because the iPhone 4 was actually capable of driving the display without issues, not like a 1998 computer.

It may be extreme but the spirit of the comparison is valid, broheim.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I wait on the S models. Not afraid of buying the new revisioned ones, but hearing a lot of issues, for example in the iPhone 5, that I'm assuming will be fixed.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I love the people
"iPhone needs a bigger screen and LTE, also looks messy with headphones and charger in, they need micro-usb and a different back, shatters too easily"
*iPhone gets bigger screen and LTE, relocates headphone jack and makes dock connector smaller than micro usb and changes back*
"I'm just gonna pass on this one".

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I've upgraded to every model from the 4 onward. I just buy my phones used at great discounts from people that took hardware upgrades but want to keep their current phones.

I then sell these phones for the same price in 8-10 months time and buy from someone selling the current model at 150-200 dollar discount. When my time comes for a hardware upgrade (every 3 yrs) I'll take it and sell my phone for the same discount as I probably already have the current model.

The cycle continues with minimal cost.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Got an iPhone 4 (Verizon) and I skipped the 4S and 5 which leaves me at the 5S/6.

Don't really mind either, but I hope the 5S has a "Siri" feature or the 6 will have a larger screen.

If iOS 7 is a revamp though, I wouldn't care if neither had any amazing hardware updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.