Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I can't believe how brave you are. First the rocket drop test, then the scuffgate video and now this, amazing! I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel for a few months now and I keep getting blown away. Keep up the good work :)

Haha Thanks Travis, I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad you've enjoyed my work. I'll keep them coming. :D

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
While all of you were discussing the perks and drawbacks of white/black iPhone 5's I was busy making a white and black iPhone 5, the best of both worlds. What do you think?

YouTube: video

Lots of people seem to like it. You should start your own business.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
No problem. So was it pretty easy to get the back panels off? I want to do something similar

Yeah, the back panels were ridiculous. They're glued in, you have to strip the housing down to nothing and heat the aluminum housing to release the glue. Even after its heated its still tough to push out. I don't recommend it. I'm sure a kit will come pre-made eventually.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
just out of interest because i want to do the back glass a different color how do they come off?

You have to strip the housing down so nothing is still attached. I heated mine using a heat gun on low setting to losen the glue. The panels are painted from the inside and you don't want to mess up the paint pushing it out so I used a layer of heat resistant tape and a blunt plastic tool and you push it from the inside out. There are small holes where you can access the panels from the inside. It was still really tough even after heating. If you feel savvy enough to do it on your own but ill tell ya it wasn't easy and there is the potential to mess it up easy.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
You have to strip the housing down so nothing is still attached. I heated mine using a heat gun on low setting to losen the glue. The panels are painted from the inside and you don't want to mess up the paint pushing it out so I used a layer of heat resistant tape and a blunt plastic tool and you push it from the inside out. There are small holes where you can access the panels from the inside. It was still really tough even after heating. If you feel savvy enough to do it on your own but ill tell ya it wasn't easy and there is the potential to mess it up easy.

Yeah I've been repair iPhones for over 2 years haven't touched the iPhone 5 yet though.... i would have liked to use a suction cup after heating the glass but thats not going to work the panels are way to small

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah I've been repair iPhones for over 2 years haven't touched the iPhone 5 yet though.... i would have liked to use a suction cup after heating the glass but thats not going to work the panels are way to small

I thought about doing the whole suction cup thing but the panels are not real tall you'd have to have a pump suction cup small enough to fit to get the right amount of suction. I don't have something like that plus You still have to strip the housing bare anyway to safely heat it.

This was my first iPhone 5 complete tear down so it was foreign to me too.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
It looks ugly for me.

The back is ok, but the front is ugly. I have choose the front in black.

Why choose the front in white and keep the back with some black parts?

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
It looks ugly for me.

The back is ok, but the front is ugly. I have choose the front in black.

Why choose the front in white and keep the back with some black parts?

I still have the front black screen. I can put in on and throw some pictures up.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
only negative to all this if you have to bring your phone to Apple for a warranty exchange, you have to undo everything you just did, other than that it is pretty cool though.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
White & Black iPhone 5 Mod (UPDATED WITH NEW COLOR VARIATIONS)

After posting my last video I had a lot of requests for other color variations like Black screen with a white body and black buttons etc... Here they are. Let me know what your favs are or if you think it's best to keep them the way they are.

Link to previous thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505128/

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I'm surprised the black body and white screen looks as good as it does. The black screen with the white body and black buttons is by far my fav! Looks sick!

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I'm surprised the black body and white screen looks as good as it does. The black screen with the white body and black buttons is by far my fav! Looks sick!

At first I thought I would like the white screen and black buttons and panels better but after doing the straight black screen, I agree, definitely the best looking. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.