Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hitchin , Hertfordshire , UK
Why does my Apple Tv Gen 1 play trailers from the web but not from the Hard Drive.

Description of Problem :

I have Copied from iTunes 11 two movies that play perfect on my Apple TV 3 on to my Apple TV 750Gb gone to play them on my tv but they freeze.
I have Jailbroken the ATV 1 and it uses a Crystal Card which is installed.

Although i cant see if the Crystal Card is working or not (help there would also be helpful also)

Regards

Adam

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Completely depend on which hack you did to your setup, is it linux/xbmc as per atvcloner or crystalbuntu or openelec ? Need more info on your setup to be sure, the atv 1 can be hacked many ways (technically its not a "jailbreak" though thats semantics).

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Re

Thanks for your help

Well i took the route via FireCore and uses the XBMC 11.0 Eden and in Maintenance Install extras Crystal HD version 3.6
But i cant get to see any information regards to the card is there an app that shows info.

In regards to how i setup the ATV maybe not the conventional way but using iPartition X and Disk Utility i no longer have the original hard drive to copy from. So using ATV Cloner is a no go area and the other ways blow my mind.
I also do have the original EFI file if there is a way getting it that would be good
either by email or dropbox .

Also i do have DMG files of OSBoot and Media and Recovery which i can put back in to ATV Cloner if need be

I also use on my mac Hand Brake and normally when decoding use Apple TV 3 as i have one of those too. Maybe its to do with that maybe i need to change it back to Apple TV not 2 or 3

Lots of maybes

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Well i took the route via FireCore and uses the XBMC 11.0 Eden and in Maintenance Install extras Crystal HD version 3.6
But i cant get to see any information regards to the card is there an app that shows info.

Okay so I figured that, iirc firecore is a hack that modifies the atv os to use xbmc but still uses the apple atv os (modified Tiger install). This uses a ton of ram and cannot really use the chd card due to ram issues. it can decode 1080p but cannot output 1080p to display, unlike the linux variants. In short I have no idea how to see if the firecore mod is actually using the chd. I have never used it.

In regards to how i setup the ATV maybe not the conventional way but using iPartition X and Disk Utility i no longer have the original hard drive to copy from. So using ATV Cloner is a no go area and the other ways blow my mind.
I also do have the original EFI file if there is a way getting it that would be good
either by email or dropbox .

Also i do have DMG files of OSBoot and Media and Recovery which i can put back in to ATV Cloner if need be
So you have the boot , Media , efi partitions saved in either .iso or .dmg format from the original atv os ? if so you can use atvcloner.
I also use on my mac Hand Brake and normally when decoding use Apple TV 3 as i have one of those too. Maybe its to do with that maybe i need to change it back to Apple TV not 2 or 3
No, a chd modified atv 1 is more capable or as capable as an atv 3.

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Re EFI

The only file I don't have is the EFI , and when I tried using ATV cloner say the hard drive is locked any ideas

Also I'm using Mountain Lion so to partition the drive into segments it won't allow Mb's only Gb's but are you saying ATV Cloner will partition the drive instead???

Adam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.