Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hitchin , Hertfordshire , UK
Question: Why can my Apple TV 1st Gen only play one film out of my library in iTunes i have TED the movie its saved as MPEG-4 just like my other films.

When i try to play anything else the ATV begins to play i get screen freeze and the speech comes out less frequent.

I own a Apple TV 3 and plays back all of my library without any hassle.

Regards

Adam

Last edited:

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
If you ripped the movie with ATV3 preset, it won't play on the ATV1. Either rip 2 copies, one for each or rip in ATV1 format to watch on both.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Yeah, it's a hassle. My ATV3 will play almost anything. Even many pass through remuxed AVI files play in their new m4v containers.

ATV1 is very picky though and always needs a pretty narrow and specific profile for files to work.

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hitchin , Hertfordshire , UK
Re: Which Profile to Use for Apple TV Gen 1

Ok thanks guys for your replies but i am slightly still confused i use Handbrake & Total Video Converter i have tried in Handbrake ATV 1 but when i play back video is scrambled and audio is all over the place

Can you just let me know which profile to use so i can play back through not only my apple tv 3 but the 1st gen as well

Regards

Adam

:mad:

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Ok thanks guys for your replies but i am slightly still confused i use Handbrake & Total Video Converter i have tried in Handbrake ATV 1 but when i play back video is scrambled and audio is all over the place

Can you just let me know which profile to use so i can play back through not only my apple tv 3 but the 1st gen as well

Regards

Adam

:mad:

It sounds like the movies don't have the copy protection removed when converting. Are you on a Mac or a PC?

The more details you give us, the more likely we can help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.