Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Upgraded from 3GS to 5 so it was a big leap for me. However, my wife has the 4 and if I had had that version I would've waited. Don't think there is a huge difference between the 5 and 4S other than LTE and screen size. Wait for the next one!

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Personally, unless the 5S is a really incremental upgrade, I'll be sticking with my 4S until then. Otherwise it'll be the 6. Either way, the 5 doesn't actually have as much newness as the 4s did to 4 imo. The 5 only has the screen and better processor. Sure, it has LTE and 4G, but I live on the South Coast of the UK, we don't have 4G yet.
But yeah, theres my personal view, but its all up to yourself in the end.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
So we are just ignoring the initial $350 he spent for the 4s? :rolleyes:

He purchased the 4s for $350
He sold the 4s for $400
Ok $50 in his pocket
Purchased a 5 at the minimum of $200
So $150 out of his pocket.

Don't see how paying $150 is a profit. Maybe I see profit differently than you do.

Yes, so $150 out of his pocket instead of $200. He was going to pay for a phone so there would be outgoing money. By selling the 4S at a profit, he reduced the overall $ he paid when he ended up with the iPhone 5.

With no 4S purchase -> iPhone 5 = $200
With 4S purchase -> iPhone 5 = $150.

It's not necessarily "profit", but rather how much he was able to save. If he hadn't bought the iPhone 5, then he would have had $50 profit to keep. Instead it decreased the expense which he would've paid anyways.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Yes, so $150 out of his pocket instead of $200. He was going to pay for a phone so there would be outgoing money. By selling the 4S at a profit, he reduced the overall $ he paid when he ended up with the iPhone 5.

With no 4S purchase -> iPhone 5 = $200
With 4S purchase -> iPhone 5 = $150.

It's not necessarily "profit", but rather how much he was able to save. If he hadn't bought the iPhone 5, then he would have had $50 profit to keep. Instead it decreased the expense which he would've paid anyways.

Not necessarily profit? It isn't profit at all! He spent at minimum $150 plus any money to convert any 3rd party items to the lightning cable. That isn't making a profit. Yes he sold the 4s for a profit but in the end he did not make a profit on upgrading. I don't see how anyone could even see it as so.

Duckit

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
I would wait for the iPhone 5S (or whatever it will be called). It will probably have the same design but with updated internals. You will be getting the best version of the iPhone 5's design.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Not necessarily profit? It isn't profit at all! He spent at minimum $150 plus any money to convert any 3rd party items to the lightning cable. That isn't making a profit. Yes he sold the 4s for a profit but in the end he did not make a profit on upgrading. I don't see how anyone could even see it as so.

I put profit in quotations just because people assign various meanings to the word, like you and the guy that posted about the sale did for example.

Bottom line is that he was going to buy the phone and because he bought the 4S and sold it at a profit, he was able to reduce the total amount of money that he spent to get to the iPhone 5. He was going to buy a phone regardless of whether he bought the 4S first or not. He could've not spent any money and had no phone. This way he minimized his overall cost to get the iPhone 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I would wait for the iPhone 5S (or whatever it will be called). It will probably have the same design but with updated internals. You will be getting the best version of the iPhone 5's design.

Would recommend this as well. The 4S is already a great phone, I think you can wait another year for an enhanced version of the iPhone 5 next year. :)

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I put profit in quotations just because people assign various meanings to the word, like you and the guy that posted about the sale did for example.

Bottom line is that he was going to buy the phone and because he bought the 4S and sold it at a profit, he was able to reduce the total amount of money that he spent to get to the iPhone 5. He was going to buy a phone regardless of whether he bought the 4S first or not. He could've not spent any money and had no phone. This way he minimized his overall cost to get the iPhone 5.

How do you know he was going to buy a iphone regardless? He wouldn't have to spent a dime if he stayed with the 4s. Is that concept too hard for you to understand?

Ohhh nevermind. Some will never see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
How do you know he was going to buy a iphone regardless? He wouldn't have to spent a dime if he stayed with the 4s. Is that concept too hard for you to understand?

Ohhh nevermind. Some will never see it.

And he didn't have to even get the 4S, he could've kept his $350 then just paid $200 to upgrade to iPhone 5. But he did get the 4S and by selling it at a profit, he was able to justify upgrading to the next-gen because he didn't have to pay the full upgrade price (or retail price). He originally quoted a post saying that it's never worth it to get every generation, and what he's saying is that it is if you can recoup your cost from your previous phone or even make a profit on that cost to reduce the price of the phone he's buying now, then it's worth it. So it was worth it for him to get the 4S because, in the long-run, he saved $50 on the price of the iPhone 5.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
And he didn't have to even get the 4S, he could've kept his $350 then just paid $200 to upgrade to iPhone 5. But he did get the 4S and by selling it at a profit, he was able to justify upgrading to the next-gen because he didn't have to pay the full upgrade price (or retail price). He originally quoted a post saying that it's never worth it to get every generation, and what he's saying is that it is if you can recoup your cost from your previous phone or even make a profit on that cost to reduce the price of the phone he's buying now, then it's worth it. So it was worth it for him to get the 4S because, in the long-run, he saved $50 on the price of the iPhone 5.

But he didn't make a profit by upgrading. Amazing how people have any money these days.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
If its not a big deal just stick with the 4S and use the upgrade for the 5S/6/whatever. The 4S is a good phone and software wise the only thing 5 has over it is picture while doing a video. I'm hanging onto my 4S until the next iPhone.

Can you explain? What do you mean picture while doing video? Do you mean take snapshots from video?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I don't dispute that. But if you're that person it doesn't matter. You shouldn't even be asking the question. You've likely bought the device already.

To be "worth it", imho comes down to this:

1. what will the new device do that the old device will not
  2. is that worth the cost to upgrade

in terms of 1 - not much. In terms of 2 - obviously that's a personal thing, but imho, no....

Put it this way: my phones are paid for by work (it's a work phone). Being one of the company nerds, I can upgrade to whatever new phone we're buying if i want in the name of needing to be current to support our users.

In other words, i could get an iphone 5 for free.

I haven't bothered yet.
i havent paid for an iphone in over 4 years because staying up to date keeps resale value high. so why not upgrade for free. phones keep improving but phones from years ago do the same thing as today just slower...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
i havent paid for an iphone in over 4 years because staying up to date keeps resale value high. so why not upgrade for free. phones keep improving but phones from years ago do the same thing as today just slower...

So what phone are you using currently? iPhone 2G? :confused:

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
to the guy that bought for 350 and sold for 400 then bought an ip5...

first off, to buy a ip4s at launch for 350, its stolen and shame on you.

he sold for 400, made 50, but u gotta factor in he used the phone for a year, which has some value.

he didn't say what he paid for the 5 but wont' know if its a loss or not until he sells that one in a year or so.

ME, now I upgrade as soon as i can, I pick a phone with the cheapest cost but the highest resale value ratio. Usually iphones.

I upgrade, sell the iphone as new for $500 ish then keep what I got until I can buy a phone off the classifieds for a good price. or pick up a refurb from a carrier if price is right. I will sell these for a profit if given the chance....

the cycle continues with me making 50-100 profit each time. over the years I not only get my phones for $0 cost for me, but actually make money which I can say subsidizes my contract obligations.

----------

i've had almost every android superphone over the last two years for a short stint, and every iphone from 4 onward.

I loved the ip4s, and decided to upgrade after buying a mini. The biggest deterent was the lightning connector. But since I was in with the mini, the connector was now apart of my cable collection.

I gotta admit, I would rather the 4s, its feel in the had is much better, my magpul case is perfect feel and size, I find the iphone 5 is too thin and feels cheap in your hand. The screen is not an upgrade in my opinion, a slightly wider screen would be better, I dont' subscribe to LTE so no benifit there.

My main reason for upgrading and keeping the ip5 is resale value, applecare+ that came with the phone (2 month old used) and having the latest and greatest.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Here is my take on this one. I actually did upgrade from an Iphone 4S to an Iphone 5. To be honest with you, i have no regrets at all. The bigger screen is nice and the slightly faster processor is a also nice. Overall the phone is much lighter and overall am very happy :). So if your wanting to go for it, go for it. I do not get LTE on my carrier, as the LTE band on the Iphone 5 is not supported for me. However I have noticed an improvement on 3G and wifi speeds on my Iphone 5. When the 3G is upgraded on my carrier next year, I shall be enjoying speeds of upto 46MB. So no complaints here :)

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
The iPhone 5 will be released here on Friday, and I am wrestling with myself should I get it or not.

I have an available upgrade on one of my accounts, and closing it or keeping it going really doesn't make much of a difference to me.

On the other hand, I don't want to be a lemming and get it just for the sake of getting it.

The one major putoff is the fact that there is no JB - and I can't imagind not using NCsettings and a couple of other small tweaks.

People that went from 4S to 5, what say you? Were you left with a good feeling after the transition, or buyers remorse?

Thanks all.

dont, its the same thing

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
But he didn't make a profit by upgrading. Amazing how people have any money these days.

Yes he did. $50. You forget he also HAS THE 5!!! Which has value. Just because he spent his profit doesn't mean he didn't make any...

He reinvested it in a 5. If he sold the 5 right now he'd get a minimum of 600 bucks!!! That's 400 in "profit" using your logic.

At minimum he made $50. What he spent after that was up to him. He could have gotten a free phone and kept the $50 if he wanted...

He profited. Sorry.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Here is my take on this one. I actually did upgrade from an Iphone 4S to an Iphone 5. To be honest with you, i have no regrets at all. The bigger screen is nice and the slightly faster processor is a also nice. Overall the phone is much lighter and overall am very happy :). So if your wanting to go for it, go for it. I do not get LTE on my carrier, as the LTE band on the Iphone 5 is not supported for me. However I have noticed an improvement on 3G and wifi speeds on my Iphone 5. When the 3G is upgraded on my carrier next year, I shall be enjoying speeds of upto 46MB. So no complaints here :)

The smaller size and lighter weight are immediately noticeable as is the larger screen.

It's too bad ios6 and maps in particular are so bad.

I've been holding off on a smartphone for a long time; it's ironic that I'm likely to buy one now when the apple smartphone has been noticeably dumbed down.

I would actually prefer a much larger screen a la the galaxy s3, but I'd rather start off with a basic phone to begin with.

I actually thought the blackberry back in '08 was pretty cool, so hopefully I'll be very happy with a '12 'smart' phone.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Even coming from the 4s the 5 is a completely different phone. most of everything is upgraded. if i had an upgrade i would make the jump. i dont think the next years model will be a huge change from the 5... obviously.

How so? Software and hardware, I feel they are relatively the same. The only difference being the screen size. Any further comments about it being "completely different?"

4s feels more durable (for everyday wear, not drops) because of the materials used to build it: stainless steel and glass vs aluminum and glass. Thoughts?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How so? Software and hardware, I feel they are relatively the same. The only difference being the screen size. Any further comments about it being "completely different?"

4s feels more durable (for everyday wear, not drops) because of the materials used to build it: stainless steel and glass vs aluminum and glass. Thoughts?

Funny b.c I always use my phone naked and am always cautious even putting my 5 in the cup holder when driving b.c of the chamfer. With the 4 and 4s that fear was not there =/

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Today I saw and handled the iPhone 5 for the first time. It really was great. The screen seemed so much larger and natural. I would say if you don't have to sell a kidney go for it.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Funny b.c I always use my phone naked and am always cautious even putting my 5 in the cup holder when driving b.c of the chamfer. With the 4 and 4s that fear was not there =/

Naked is the ONLY way to use an iPhone = )

Who would want to cover the beautiful material of glass and metal with ugly plastic? LOL..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.