Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_2012_interface-150x92.jpg
Continuing the flurry of Apple television rumors in recent days following CEO Tim Cook's brief comments on the topic as part of an interview on Rock Center last week, The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is indeed testing designs for future television set products. The report adds little to existing rumors, but does indicate that work is continuing and keeps the topic fresh in the public's mind.
Officials at some of Apple's suppliers, who declined to be named, said the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has been working on testing a few designs for a large-screen high-resolution TV.

Two people said Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which assembles the iPhone and iPad, has been collaborating with Japan's Sharp Corp. on the design of the new television.

"It isn't a formal project yet. It is still in the early stage of testing," said one of the people.
The report notes that Apple has been testing television set prototypes for a number of years and that the company tests many different prototype products that never come to market, making clear that a launch is not imminent and that Apple could ultimately scrap its plans.

Article Link: Apple Testing Television Set Prototypes, 'Isn't a Formal Project Yet'

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I love that TV makers are trying to beat Apple to the punch with shoddy UI's, wonky voice control and terrible "app" support.

Apple will do something cool and everyone will copy and say it was obvious...what isn't obvious when someone does it first?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

so if they are doing it with Sharp is there a chance this may be a 5mm thick, edge to edge igzo screen using the same welding process as the imac?

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Calling b.s.

While I have no doubts at all that Apple is working on something for TV, the part about two outside companies "collaborating on design" is total horsesh-t. We all know that Apple wouldn't have others involved in that.

Now mayb it's just written poorly and they meant engineering, assembly, components, or something else -- but they said "design."

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM

an apple tv wouldn't be entering the market. a tv panel with built in apple tv os, dvr, siri ui, etc. would be a new market entirely. just like apple did with all previous products. and when you create a market, you get to set the price points meaning they will still get a nice margin per set.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009

FWIW
DLM
I agree with you 100%. I think they should base their "TV product" on something like a TiVo. It would basically be a TiVo with Siri and Apps. Apple TiVi?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
It'll never happen.

Apple needs Sharp and Samsung. Instead of hoarding their billions and partnering with these tech leaders, Apple should've been building their own supply chains they themselves could control. Jobs was so proud of Apple's ability to turn over this grunt work to others. His biggest mistake.

Besides, there is nothing innovative about getting existing content to display on a TV screen. And if Apple can't dictate what that content is who needs Apple?

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
My family loves our 74" Sharp LED set. I highly doubt Apple would do a model past 65" which drives me out. Unless they update the hockey puck so I can still get 90% of the functionality.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
While I have no doubts at all that Apple is working on something for TV, the part about two outside companies "collaborating on design" is total horsesh-t. We all know that Apple wouldn't have others involved in that.

Now mayb it's just written poorly and they meant engineering, assembly, components, or something else -- but they said "design."

"design" doesn't mean anything in particular. samsung provides many of the components so apple works with them in designing the iphone based on the current component supplies and some custom designs too (a5).

Rocketman

macrumors 603
As I have been saying for years now, when Apple makes a display it will be 4K. The first confirmation we had for this was the "Retina Display" on the iPhone. Since then we have seen increasingly large high resolution displays from Apple. At some point the streams will cross and Apple will have purchased enough factory capacity and developed the large size panel production to the point they can actually fill 15m orders for 36" and 52" 4K format TV's. Of course like an iMac or an iPad it will have a little computer inside. I feel sorry for all the Fedex drivers. :D

https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?searchid=31790562

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/8645333/
(Oct 2009)

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/3110377/
(Dec 2006)

Rocketman

Last edited:

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
My preference is STILL a set top box like it is now, with unbundled channels - connected to a Thunderbolt display. Siri, apps, unbundled channel options, Facetime in the Thunderbolt display. Simple remote.

I'd pay for this, especially if I can have the channels I want, and dump the channels I pay for but never use (I'm looking at YOU, Hallmark channel)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I guess we can confirm that the 4.8" iPhone rumor is true. But that still doesn't mean Apple will release it in 2014.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Whatever happened to them already being in mass manufacturing like several months ago? Oh that's right, ALL APPLE TV RUMORS are absolute b.s. but saying something about the Apple TV is a guaranteed ad revenue generator.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Any Apple TV ambitions are dead in the water until they get the content providers on board. When they have the content contracts sorted then we may see something serious in this area but it is unlikely to happen before, there wouldn't be much point.

----------

Whatever happened to them already being in mass manufacturing like several months ago? Oh that's right, ALL APPLE TV RUMORS are absolute b.s. but saying something about the Apple TV is a guaranteed ad revenue generator.

Exactly.;)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Apple should just devote their time and resources to improve their current products and services than step into an entirely new market with hundreds of competitors.

If Apple can spend resources to start a new Television set project, I'd rather they spend some on salvaging more critical issues at hand such as the problematic, error-filled and almost life-threatening Maps application. Why start on a new project when current ones like this aren't completely completed yet?

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
TV is so outdated anyway. The whole thing just feels like the race off between HD DVD and blue-ray.. racing to be the best at something practically obsolete

----------

Apple should just devote their time and resources to improve their current products and services than step into an entirely new market with hundreds of competitors.

If Apple can spend resources to start a new Television set project, I'd rather they spend some on salvaging more critical issues at hand such as the problematic, error-filled and almost life-threatening Maps application. Why start on a new project when current ones like this aren't completely completed yet?

Because there are more than 20 people working at the company

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.