Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I think someone needs to get a life. Worrying about what the next ipad camera will be is stupid. It will be what it will be. If the money you lose on the 3 and the added money you will have to spend on the 4 is an issue: you clearly can't afford to do this. Apple will improve their product with every refresh. You can only have the latest and greatest until the next one comes out. Enjoy what you have!

:apple:

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
There is a huge file size difference between a video shot at 1080 and that same video converted to 720. The same will be true for video chatting. A better uestion is why you are fixated on a 1080P front camera. Its not going to make much of a difference when video chatting on a 10" screen: you will have downsampling and compression artifacts messing up the image. A 720 camera is more than sufficient for video chatting.

So how does it work when you have a 1080P camera in the back which can also shoot movie, the downsampling and compression thing that you talk about, does that not come into picture then ?

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
So how does it work when you have a 1080P camera in the back which can also shoot movie, the downsampling and compression thing that you talk about, does that not come into picture then ?

There's a difference shooting video and streaming video.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You had a choice when the 4th was announced. You could keep your iPad 3, or you could take it back and exchange it for the 4th generation. That was the policy. Why are just now complaining about it when you had all that time to make the choice then?

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
You had a choice when the 4th was announced. You could keep your iPad 3, or you could take it back and exchange it for the 4th generation. That was the policy. Why are just now complaining about it when you had all that time to make the choice then?

Read the original post. It's perfectly explained there.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Read the original post. It's perfectly explained there.

Ah, right. Ok.

OP - Don't get the iPad 4 and stick with the 3rd generation. You are obviously trying to justify a better camera when it really doesn't matter, especially when you yourself are saying you probably won't even use it but only once or twice once in awhile. You are honestly not going to see a very big difference, especially when it's going from you to another person. I would say that the lower quality might just be better in those situations actually because the file sizes are smaller.

And that's coming from someone who uses their iPad Mini to take macro shots of nature.

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I would say that the lower quality might just be better in those situations actually because the file sizes are smaller.

And that's coming from someone who uses their iPad Mini to take macro shots of nature.

Have you cheked this yourself by trying and making Facetime Calls from iPad-3 and also iPad-4 have you checked at the other end where your face image is being streamed is the quality just about the same between the two or is there a Huge difference. Infact can anyone else also confirm this ?

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Have you cheked this yourself by trying and making Facetime Calls from iPad-3 and also iPad-4 have you checked at the other end where your face image is being streamed is the quality just about the same between the two or is there a Huge difference. Infact can anyone else also confirm this ?

Sorry to say but, your posts are becoming annoying. How many times do we have to tell you the same thing over and over again? Just stick with the 3. This thread has gone on for too long. As a matter of fact, why don't you buy the 4, compare it yourself, and if you like it, keep it, if not, return it.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
The 4 isn't two months old yet, so I'd buy now.

Apple's always going to update anyway. :)

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I sold my 64gb iPad 3 and bought a 64gb iPad 4 but only because I was offered such a good deal on my iPad 3 that buying an iPad 4 on Black Friday meant that I only had to find £100 to updgrade.

I dont regret upgrading as the 4 is defintely faster than a 3 and it means that I only need to carry one cable around to recharge both the iPad and my iPhone 5. Apart from that, there is really no difference. I would suggest that you keep your 3 and wait for the 5. The difference will be a lot more than the move from a 3 to a 4

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Upgrade when you feel your current iPad is no longer performing the tasks you expect of it and is severely lagging behind the latest technology bracket. If you need to come on a forum and ask for a justification to purchase a new product; then the answer should be obvious. Do not upgrade just because there is something new and shiny; while you still own a perfectly usable device.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I'm not sure, but most video chatting is done with the front-facing camera it doesn't really matter. And if there is downsampling from 1080 to somethign lower, what does it matter if the front one is not 1080? What are you going to use the 1080 front camera for?

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Somebody said this is becoming annoying :) ok...let me just say I am reading each of these posts and trying to make up my mind :)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Doubt Apple would upgrade to 1080p.

It took them 2 years for the iPad just to upgrade to 720p.

My guess is that iPad 5 will have
-New design (Like iPhone 5 & iPad Mini)
-Weigh a little lighter
-A7X chip
-2GB RAM
-8MP iSight camera (like iPhone 4S/5)

Apple will probably advertise its previous features again...
-720p FaceTime HD
-Retina display
-Siri
-iCloud
-iOS 7

Dragonomicon

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
You guys crack me up

I love how the OP and others are so deluded that they actually believe that dropping 900 dollars on two iPads in two years is somehow an investment. It's exactly opposite of investment. As if ownership of a new ipad somehow generates meaningful returns.

Even worse are those who speak of iPads as 'tools' as opposed to the toys they are.

Worst of all are those who speak of their 'needs' in relation to their impending ipad purchases.

Get over yourselves. These are not investments, tools, or anything that anyone needs.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I love how the OP and others are so deluded that they actually believe that dropping 900 dollars on two iPads in two years is somehow an investment. It's exactly opposite of investment. As if ownership of a new ipad somehow generates meaningful returns.

Even worse are those who speak of iPads as 'tools' as opposed to the toys they are.

Worst of all are those who speak of their 'needs' in relation to their impending ipad purchases.

Get over yourselves. These are not investments, tools, or anything that anyone needs.
Talk about someone who needs to get over themselves. :rolleyes:

clyde2801

macrumors 601

This year I was able to pull out my iPad3 LTE when I was sitting in an assistant district attorney's office to discuss a burglary charge. I was able to pull up the affidavit of probable cause and a statement submitted by the accused and then pull up a great image of the crime scene on Google Earth. The details on GE discredited the affidavit and supported the accused's version of events. The ADA dismissed the charge.

In another county, the authorities accidentally filed the same charge on my client twice. Since she had only posted bond on one of them, I was able to pull up copies of the charges of both and demonstrate the state's error to the judge to stop her from being taken into custody before she was even led out of the courtroom.

I cannot count the number of times I've run into opposing counsel by happenstance in the courthouse, and used box or dropbox to pull up copies of pleadings, communications or evidence while discussing a case, while the other guy or gal had to use fallible human memory. It often gave me an advantage in the discussions and negotiations. Good thing it's never more than two minutes away from me.

So, what can you do with your "toys"?

Last edited:

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Give Dragonomicon some time to pull his foot out of his mouth. This is particularly difficult for him, given where his head is currently located.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Don't buy an iPad 4. Don't buy an iPad 5 either. Watch for the rumors about the iPad 6, and then maybe you can think about buying an iPad 7 or iPad 8, but better to wait for the iPad 9. Or go for double digits with the iPad 10. :rolleyes:

vish26

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Doubt Apple would upgrade to 1080p.

It took them 2 years for the iPad just to upgrade to 720p.

When iPad-3 had come out I had asked the same question that is the 1.3 MP camera good enuf and people then here were saying it was ok and yet Apple came out with a 720P camera in iPad-4

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
When iPad-3 had come out I had asked the same question that is the 1.3 MP camera good enuf and people then here were saying it was ok and yet Apple came out with a 720P camera in iPad-4

The problem is that your asking people to predict features for a product no one knows anything about.

Apple didn't need to upgrade the FaceTime camera to HD because its killer features where the Retina display. It also had A5X chip, 5MP iSight camera, 1080p video.

Plus I feel that 1080p for FaceTime isn't exactly on Apple's to-do list. They just upgraded. It seems reasonable that'll it eventually come. Just wait like 2-3 years.

Or just use 720p...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.