Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I still use my iPad3 from time to time because I've yet to switch the ATT plan to the 4.

After needing LTE and using the 3 for a few days. I'm not noticing any difference with that and the new iPad4.

Went back and did some side by side testing. Almost no difference that I can see. Pages come in within a second or 2 in Safari. Apps seem to launch same time. I only see 2x speed if I'm rendering a movie; which I don't do that much of.

I think there was no reason so spend another $900 with Apple and it needs to go back.

Any one else give up on their 4 and take it back? Anyone really see speed differences in real life.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i used to have an iPad 3, which i bought for full price on October 3. apple allowed me to return it and pre-order the iPad 4, which i did. i got the iPad 4 and in all honesty the difference was not very significant. app folders opened up a split second more quickly and web pages loaded maybe 1/2-1 sec more quickly. games played exactly the same (Metal Storm) and despite the A6X being twice as fast as the A5X, the A5 on a non-retina display still plays Metal Storm more fluidly. that Retina screen truly is a beast and i still feel that the A6X isn't fully adequate for the Retina. but i digress...that's a topic of discussion for another forum.

i saw that the iPad 3 refurbs substantially dropped in price right when the iPad 4 was announced. the iPad 3/4 64GB LTE that originally was $829 brand new was now $679... talk about a steep price drop ($150). i returned the iPad 4 and bought the iPad 3 version for $679. before i did this though, i thought about what my intentions were with this iPad 3. was i intending to hold onto it for 3 years or am i buying it to use for a year and then flip when the redesigned iPad 5 comes out? most likely it will be the latter. thus i concluded that going with the iPad 3 was the better way to go. an analogy to this situation would be trying to decide to buy a used car or a brand new car if you knew you would be selling it soon. most logical people would buy the used vehicle since after 1 year of ownership it will not have depreciated from the purchase price as much as the brand new one. going back to the iPad, the $679 iPad 3 64GB LTE iPad a year from now when the iPad 5 comes out, will probably have a resale dip to $600. the iPad 4 64GB LTE on the other hand, will likely drop from $829 down to the $679 price that the refurb iPad 3 used to be at due to downward pricing pressure from Apple.com iPad 4 refurbs. in my situation, after doing the simple math, the iPad 3 is the better way to go. however, not everyone's situation is the same as mine as they might not be planning to upgrade to the iPad 5. this scenario also doesn't end up being as extreme if you are comparing base model 16GB wifi models and you throw in Black Friday pricing too. that gap ends up being more narrow and then i might say just go with the iPad 4.

moving onto the other new features of the iPad 4. i have an iPhone 4S and i've owned iPods since 2005 so to be honest i won't miss the Lightning port - i'm too entrenched in 30-pin cables and accessories for the benefits of the new port (reversible) to negate the inconveniences. i have about a dozen 30-pin cables - several throughout the house, car, office, several at the lake house, briefcase, backpack, etc just to name a few. while wifi sync is great, it's not ideal for transferring 15GB of Season 2 of Game of Thrones to my iPad. i know eventually the Lightning cables will be generic, but they're not now and they won't be $0.99 probably for 2 more years. again like i said above, i am thinking about the now and for the next year.

not having a Facetime HD camera in the iPad 3 is OK - it's not like 720p will make my face more attractive. if anything it'll make it uglier lol. my girlfriend has the Mini so i at least get to see her in 720p when we occasionally Facetime which is maybe once every 2 months when i am on a business trip. if i was in a long distance relationship though, then i could see the 720p Facetime HD camera being a must.

so yeah, that's pretty much my reasoning why i went from an iPad 3, to and iPad 4, back to and iPad 3. i'm sure many will disagree with my logic and that's OK - that's why we're consumers...we each have our own opinion

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I still use my iPad3 from time to time because I've yet to switch the ATT plan to the 4.

After needing LTE and using the 3 for a few days. I'm not noticing any difference with that and the new iPad4.

Went back and did some side by side testing. Almost no difference that I can see. Pages come in within a second or 2 in Safari. Apps seem to launch same time. I only see 2x speed if I'm rendering a movie; which I don't do that much of.

I think there was no reason so spend another $900 with Apple and it needs to go back.

Any one else give up on their 4 and take it back? Anyone really see speed differences in real life.

I can't speak to the iPad 3 and 4 feeling similar in speed, I moved from an iPad 1 to a 4...truth is you might not notice the speed difference now but in 1-2 years when the IOS and apps become more complex you certainly will...

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I can't speak to the iPad 3 and 4 feeling similar in speed, I moved from an iPad 1 to a 4...truth is you might not notice the speed difference now but in 1-2 years when the IOS and apps become more complex you certainly will...

That's actually not true. iPad 2 from ios 4.x days runs just as we'll now with ios 6.

The problem is the A6 really just doesn't have the CPU bandwidth (not much more than the A5X). The GPU is significantly better but most of the tasks are CPU bound.

Even the games aren't that different either from the iPad 3. Is just that now the iPad 4 can finally be able to run games at retina resolution while the iPad 3 was underpowered vs the new iPad 4.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009

Interesting. I skipped the 3 because I found it felt sluggish and non-responsive in the store, and from what I read online later it was pretty under-powered.

I have the 4 and it is fantastic, it's what the 3 should have been. I assumed one reason apple brought the 4 out so fast with a much more powerful cpu is they know they messed up the 3.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Interesting. I skipped the 3 because I found it felt sluggish and non-responsive in the store, and from what I read online later it was pretty under-powered.

I have the 4 and it is fantastic, it's what the 3 should have been. I assumed one reason apple brought the 4 out so fast with a much more powerful cpu is they know they messed up the 3.

I disagree. I think it was planned this way. I mean, they knew a new lightning connector was coming. What would give people incentive to buying a new iPad? The new connector? Doubtful. They had to hold something back to make the new connector adopted quickly. The best way is promise of smoother and faster iPad. The screen is already great.. There is nothing else to market.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
iPad 4 is quicker, the way you can tell is looking at large PDF files. It will render the fonts a lot quicker than iPad 3.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Apps are not yet written for the processor speed improvement. Wait a year and when those apps are out, you'll be complaining how 'slow' your iPad 3 is compared to the 4.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Returning an iPad 4 because it only opens Pages an half second faster now that It's just came out, smart...

You already noticed the difference in rendering because the A6X is 2x faster, you may not be interested in video rendering but soon you will notice the difference even in "real life" conditions.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Apps are not yet written for the processor speed improvement. Wait a year and when those apps are out, you'll be complaining how 'slow' your iPad 3 is compared to the 4.
Huh? Buy an iPad 4 and wait a year to see the benefits of a faster chip running optimized apps?!?! For a product that is refreshed annually at the same price points and is due for a complete redesign then thats terrible advice.

It seems the better reasoning is to stick with the iPad 3 (which is being heavily discounted) and AVOID the iPad 4 since its clearly a placeholder for its inevitable successor.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
That's actually not true. iPad 2 from ios 4.x days runs just as we'll now with ios 6.

The problem is the A6 really just doesn't have the CPU bandwidth (not much more than the A5X). The GPU is significantly better but most of the tasks are CPU bound.

Even the games aren't that different either from the iPad 3. Is just that now the iPad 4 can finally be able to run games at retina resolution while the iPad 3 was underpowered vs the new iPad 4.

IOS and apps are still optimized for the A5/A5X, thats good news for iPad 2, iPad 3 and also new iPad owners...this will not always be the case and the iPad 2 owners will feel it first, mainly because of the 512RAM compared to the newer iPads 1GB. The iPad 1 only had 2565MB RAM and my IOS and apps would crash daily, that was not a limitation of the Processor, its was lack of memory to sustain the demands of the newest IOS and apps. The same thing will happen starting with the iPad 2 and MINI (Only 512RAM) and then 3 and eventually the 4 (both 1 GB of RAM)...but the lifespan of the 4 will be longer because of the more powerful processor/GPU. Most tasks on the iPad are NOT CPU bound, power of the GPU (AX6) on a device that is 90% screen is just as if not more important than the CPU.

----------

Huh? Buy an iPad 4 and wait a year to see the benefits of a faster chip running optimized apps?!?! For a product that is refreshed annually at the same price points and is due for a complete redesign then thats terrible advice.

It seems the better reasoning is to stick with the iPad 3 (which is being heavily discounted) and AVOID the iPad 4 since its clearly a placeholder for its inevitable successor.

iPad owners don't have to wait a year to see it perform faster...it just means it will continue to perform just as fast for much longer, even when the IOS, apps and games get much more complicated and demanding, when the other iPads will start to fall behind just like the iPad one did. No different than how it works with computers...

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If I were buying new, I wouldn't bother with the 4, I'd save the money, get the refurb 3 (or buy it from a third party retailer that has it on sale) and then wait for the iPad 5. Apple needs to start evolving the iPad to function more like a full blown PC (like competitors are doing) and I think the 5 will be a big leap in that direction.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

You read it online huh.... kinda like the fox "news" contributor saying "some sources say". Basically you have no actual proof of this, you are simply using hearsay to make your point. Yeah, that is a very affective argument to prove your point.

As far as them putting out the 4 because they "know" they messed up with the 3 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D You soooooo silly.

Apple needs to start evolving the iPad to function more like a full blown PC (like competitors are doing) and I think the 5 will be a big leap in that direction.

Yeah, they will be hard pressed to sell one of those iPad thingies as long as there are more "computer" like pads out there..... hardly one.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

Can't say as to the 3, but the 4 is definitely faster than the mini I returned. Opening pages, using iMovie, editing photos, just random stuff overall I was using the tablets side by side and the difference was pretty significant I thought. I'm a tad impatient so that may have something to do with it :)

I'm sure I'd be happy with the 3, but now that I have the iPhone 5 it'll be easier to switch to the new connector and not have to deal with both.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Yeah, they will be hard pressed to sell one of those iPad thingies as long as there are more "computer" like pads out there..... hardly one.

Calm down and take a breath. I dare not question the sales volume of the iPad--there has been no sacrilege or defilement of the image of the great Apple. I was merely pointing out the natural evolution of these devices. You think Apple will keep the iPad as it is now?

gmccj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Speed increase worth it

I find, for example, that the iPad 4 will render PDF architectural drawings in 3 seconds as opposed 6 seconds with the iPad 3. If you intend to use your iPad for presentation purposes, I think the speed increase is worth the cost.

S

syd430

The speed difference really becomes apparent when rendering heavy web pages and switching between apps several times a minute. I couldn't go back to the 3.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
If I were buying new, I wouldn't bother with the 4, I'd save the money, get the refurb 3 (or buy it from a third party retailer that has it on sale) and then wait for the iPad 5. Apple needs to start evolving the iPad to function more like a full blown PC (like competitors are doing) and I think the 5 will be a big leap in that direction.

Thats the thing and you just proved the argument for the iPad 4 over the 3, the iPad 4 is a HUGE step toward being more a full blow PC...The power of the A6X processor delivers laptop class power available just a few years ago...So the hardware is already there and in place for this transformation. The other piece of the puzzle to being more like a PC is Apple needs to tweak the Operating System to act more like a PC, maybe in IOS 7, but it has nothing to do with hardware power limitations of the A5X anymore, the software needs to catch up to the power of the iPad 4 and will soon, thats where the iPad 4 wins out over the iPad 2/3/mini.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I think if I were buying new or upgrading from 1, then I would buy iPad 4. Since I have the 3, I'm sticking with it. Not sure about what you should do if you have the 2 -- depends on what you are doing with it, I suppose -- if you find the iPad 2 is sluggish for what you do, upgrade, if not, wait.

Basically, with iOS devices, I find it optimal to skip generations and buy every other generation, if you are concerned about saving money while still having a device that works well with current apps/os.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
You shouldn't care be happy with what you've got I honestly mean that at least having is better than not. Its annoying reading about you complain and fight over this stupid utility. :cool: in my opinion :apple: stinks and frustrates me and others :mad:

Whoa dude! What did I do to you? Someone asked how an iPad could get to $900 and I just posted my best guess. Yikes. Take a breath.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

If you can 'hang' with AT&T--and DO plan to activate the data plan, you can save a C note right now...dropping the 64G LTE make down to $729. I bought the '4' on launch day from Best Buy--returned it last week and bought one from AT&T. I always have my data plan activated and it's a 'no brainer' for $10/month IMO. This drops the price down to $50 more than a 'refurb' or on sale iPad 3 from the retailers selling them @ a $150 discount.

I came from the '3'--and notice general speed and a 'smoothness' not evident with the '3'...a couple of obvious speed increases are in iPhoto, Avid, Garageband, and iPhoto---apps I use often. As well, I've found VPN more efficient and with less lag/latency working with the target work station
Lastly, an app I use every morning as my AM newspaper is The Early Edition 2. I've used this RSS reader since the original iPad. On the third gen, with the exact same feeds...it would typically take a minute, maybe 75 seconds to 'draw' the paper up each morning. Same WiFi network @ home---the iPad 4 literally fetches and draws up my paper in 10...no more than 15 seconds--and it 'crashes' much less often. This is one Massive difference I've noticed. As well, I use Pulse and Flipboard---while not seeing a 75-80% increase in speed, it's easily twice as quick to fetch and re-present current feeds

The '3' is an excellent iPad, no doubt about it. My only fear...as we see with the 4s (that many discounted as an 'update' when clearly the 'guts' were significantly upgraded) compared to the 4...speed is significant with iOS6 on the 4s/5, but the '4' is slowly becoming...slower. Still works just fine---but what about iOS 7?

J

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
You read it online huh.... kinda like the fox "news" contributor saying "some sources say". Basically you have no actual proof of this, you are simply using hearsay to make your point. Yeah, that is a very affective argument to prove your point.

You say "Fox". I say "CNN". Who cares? They all have lying contributors. It's like tomato/tomato. But I guess I get your point.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The speed difference really becomes apparent when rendering heavy web pages and switching between apps several times a minute. I couldn't go back to the 3.

Agreed. And Fieldrunners 2 loads twice as fast on iPad 4. The initial load takes forever on an iPad 3. In general the iPad 4 experience is excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.