Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrannySmith123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I wanted to return my iPhone which is well within return period back to att and grab another one from another store (ex. apple, bestbuy, etc) Would i have to pay to activate it again or is that fee only a one time thing?

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I wanted to return my iPhone which is well within return period back to att and grab another one from another store (ex. apple, bestbuy, etc) Would i have to pay to activate it again or is that fee only a one time thing?

In this scenario, you would have to pay it again.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

If you're activating something, you'll be charged for it. Whether you pay it is another question entirely, I haven't paid an upgrade fee for AT&T for the last 6 years.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
you can call att and they will likely waive the upgrade fee just by asking. theres a thread on it already.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
"Activating" doesn't cost anything. It's really just AT&T"s way of screwing you into paying another $36 per new phone, so they can instantly recapture part of their subsidy.

When you BUY a new AT&T iPhone through an authorized reseller as "new", then they will charge the account $36 when the new IMEI is activated.

On the contrary, bringing over your own device or a used device doesn't trigger the activation fee (at least in my experiences).

As others have said, most often they'll waive this fee, and given your case, they certainly should. They basically just leave intact to screw over those that don't care to notice their bill so AT&T gets that extra cash. :rolleyes:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
So you just asked them to waive the activation fee and they did it? That simple?

There's a thread on it somewhere in here, I just call them, explain that I've been a customer for almost 10 years and don't see why I should be paying them money basically doing nothing when it comes to my new device. As a side note my CS experience with AT&T has always been positive, but could also be because I've been with them so long.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
So you just asked them to waive the activation fee and they did it? That simple?

i actually asked over their live chat with a rep on the att website. and i simply said that ive been a long time customer and would appreciate if they could maybe waive or credit me for the activation fee. they said no problem and 5 mins later it was credited back.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
U have 3 days to get "new activations" $36 back.

What OP may mean is they want to exchange phones.

The answer is you only pay one activation or one upgrade per line even with exchanges. So u won't be charged twice.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
There's a thread on it somewhere in here, I just call them, explain that I've been a customer for almost 10 years and don't see why I should be paying them money basically doing nothing when it comes to my new device. As a side note my CS experience with AT&T has always been positive, but could also be because I've been with them so long.

I believe this is the thread you're referring to:

AT&T get your upgrade fees waived.

GrannySmith123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
U have 3 days to get "new activations" $36 back.

What OP may mean is they want to exchange phones.

The answer is you only pay one activation or one upgrade per line even with exchanges. So u won't be charged twice.
Yeah but i wanna get the iPhone from another store NOT at&t which is why i was wondering if they were gonna charge me a restocking fee AND another upgrade fee which i would find ridiculous.

I'll try to call them after i get my new phone and see how it goes :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.