Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Texas
Okay so I think I've really decided on an Air as my first Mac.

If anyone can fill me in on their experiences with these retailers, it would help alot :)

At B&H: Fully loaded Air (8GB, 256GB, i7) w/ free Parallels = 1674.99 w/out shipping. 30 day return policy.

at MacMall: Full loaded Air - no parallels = 1654.99 w/shipping.
(does MacMall charge tax?) 14 day return policy.

-Which retailer do you recommend for the best bang for your buck?

- Parallels allows me to run Windows on my Mac, would I need to buy a version of Windows along with it in order to use Parallels? Assuming that I do need a copy of windows, I'd need an optical drive as well.

-Is the i7 bump worth the ~$100? Or would the 8GB 256GB i5 be good enough? Trying to future proof myself a bit, want this Air to last me around 4 years. I don't use many CPU intensive tasks such as gaming, maybe just once and a while.

Thanks for the help;)

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
I buy from apple.com. That's easy and you get exactly what you order, not what is left over on someone's shelf. Free shipping but you do pay tax.

I use Parallels as well. You must purchase Windows to install it on your machine. You don't necessarily need to purchase an external optical drive though I have one. If you have another computer on the same wifi network, Windows or Mac - it matters not which, just use that as your wireless optical drive.

I use my Apple drive to burn DVDs on the road otherwise would not need it at all.

Future proof? Max everything now unless your crystal ball tells you precisely what you will need in four years.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
- Parallels allows me to run Windows on my Mac, would I need to buy a version of Windows along with it in order to use Parallels? Assuming that I do need a copy of windows, I'd need an optical drive as well.

Yes you do need copy of windows but you don't really need optical drive.
you can use .iso from microsoft and just activate with your key.

i'm not sure when the last time i used cd :Z

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Yes you do need copy of windows but you don't really need optical drive.
you can use .iso from microsoft and just activate with your key.

i'm not sure when the last time i used cd :Z

Those are the ISOs he's referring to:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

They are legal and download straight from Microsoft's servers, so you know they're clean. All you need is a CD-key to activate them.

Parallels offers the option to install from an ISO file. The process is a lot quicker when you do that than from a DVD as well.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Another factor for consideration with B&H. You get 50% off of AppleCare when you buy with your system. And it was already discounted so its a terrific deal there. I've bought a couple computers and some camera gear from them and they're a standup company. A lens came broken and they overnighted me a replacement next day even though I hadn't sent the broken one back yet.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Texas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.