Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klmaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Hi I've signed up to the new Microsoft outlook.com because I love it, now I can't get to sign into mail with it? Can some kind soul help me out here?

What settings do I need to put in? I would like to get the notifications on Mountain Lion. Many thanks.:)

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Are you sure? There's a whole section under help for "POP and deleting downloaded messages", so it should be possible.

klmaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Are you sure? There's a whole section under help for "POP and deleting downloaded messages", so it should be possible.

Can you please help a newbie? Its so annoying that I have to keep logging in to check mails. I would very much like to make use of notifications. Kind regards, Susan. :)

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
klmaj,
Looks like the setup information is pop3.live.com for the incoming mail server with SSL enabled.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
outlook.com is just a mail client for Windows Live mail, not an email provider. You can look up incoming and outgoing mail servers for windows live mail and use them in any email client, including Mail.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
outlook.com is just a mail client for Windows Live mail, not an email provider. You can look up incoming and outgoing mail servers for windows live mail and use them in any email client, including Mail.

No, outlook.com is a new e-mail service launched this week.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Yes and no.

For existing users with Microsoft accounts, it's just a new interface. For new users the only difference between outlook.com and hotmail.com is the interface, email domain and the lack of IMAP. When you sign up, you're still getting a "Microsoft account", it's the same service just re-branded.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You can set it up as an exchange account and it should work.

My settings at least on the iPhone (I don't use mail.app on OSX, just their respectivewebsites)
EMAIL: yourname@outlook.com
Server: bay-m.hotmail.com (this is something mail would get automatically though, if it doesn't work try like mine)
Domain: Leave it empty
Username: yourname@outlook.com
Password: yourpassword
Use SSL: ON
S/MIMEL OFF

Yes & No; is a transformation of hotmail into outlook; all hotmail accounts will use the new interface in the near future even if they don't decide to change their email address. MS is trying to make their web services look more professional for the business people (which is why they are using the outlook name) while still keeping the old hotmail users. All the features were actually part of hotmail last year and this is just basically a rebranding + new sleeker interface.

jpprice47

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Outlook.com mail does not support desktop mail clients.

You're quite wrong about that. I can access my outlook.com account through Apple Mail, iOS, and Thunderbird. It just can't be accessed using OSX 10.7.

----------

Can you please help a newbie? Its so annoying that I have to keep logging in to check mails. I would very much like to make use of notifications. Kind regards, Susan. :)

The Outlook.com help site responds that Microsoft is aware of the problem and they claim it is a Mountain Lion problem.

I get notifications and check my outlook.com mail through my iPhone and iPad, with no problems. It's just the web mail that's the problem.

----------

I have three aliases on my outlook.com account. Apple Mail can only see the original outlook.com email address because it is POP only. If they allowed IMAP, then Apple Mail could check all the aliases.

----------

Really? I got it to work fine in Postbox, Outlook 2013, Windows 8 Mail Client and Mail on my Windows Phone.

I think you may be talking apples and oranges here. The forum is about MAC OSX. Everyone knows that outlook.com works on Windows devices. The problem is that outlook.com does not work on MAC OSX 10.7.5.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You're quite wrong about that. I can access my outlook.com account through Apple Mail, iOS, and Thunderbird. It just can't be accessed using OSX 10.7.

I think you may be talking apples and oranges here. The forum is about MAC OSX. Everyone knows that outlook.com works on Windows devices. The problem is that outlook.com does not work on MAC OSX 10.7.5.

False.

You can use Outlook.com account using POP in OSX's (10.6/7/8) using POP. MS Exchange ActiveSync requires the Outlook "connector" which I think is some sort of authenticating certificate. It does this for Outlook 2010 on Win7 as well so I see no different in Outlook awaiting to release this for OSX.

Also using POP I have no access to any of my sub-folders in Outlook.com :(

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/o...k-hotmail-connector-overview-HA010222518.aspx

Outlook connector:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/outlook-connector

Outlook for Mac 2011 auto sets up the account, most likely using POP because yet again I'm unable to access sub-folders or new root folders I've created via the Outlook.com website.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.