Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
My wife has an iPad, and I have just got my first iMac.
I had hoped that once I had set up the printers on the iMac that her iPad would be able to "see" them and print to them.

However the iPad still says "No airprint printers"

The iMac is connected to the wireless router via cable and her iPad wirelessly, I have tried with the iMac WiFi switched on and off, made no difference.

Is there something else I need to do as I am certain this should be possible?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Unfortunately, only printers that are AirPrint compatible work with the iPad straight out of the box. Apple lists AirPrint compatible printers here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

If your printer isn't AirPrint compatible, see options two and three in the following article:
http://ipadacademy.com/2012/03/how-to-print-from-your-ipad-summary-of-printer-and-printing-options

Personally, I prefer Option 2, but it does require that your computer be on when you print. Option 3 allows you to print without a computer, but going through third-party apps means that the steps to print are more involved, and you may run into something that just doesn't print.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Many thanks, I give handyPrint a try first.

Installed Handyprint, and tested it from the iPad just now and it worked just fine.:D

Interestingly when I print to the Laserjet 1022 direct from the iMac it has problem, only prints one page and then the lights flash and it has to be switched off to clear it.

From the iPad it worked just as normal. :confused:

Thanks again for the solution

mawyatt

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks to all, especially Night Spring, this thread helped me get my wife & daughter's iPads connected to their new HP5520 printer.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Another one to try is Printopia. Costs $10.00 and installs on your Mac. I've been using it for a bunch of different printers and it's worked on all my iPads

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
And Printopia allows you to "print" to a PDF in a designated folder on your Mac, or other local computer as well. Very handy.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Printopia does require that your imac be on to 'borrow' its printer though. That said, it does host quite a few nifty features. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.