Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awwwyeah206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
hi all, I'm requesting a Macbook Pro at work and they require a work justification ie: applications that I must use that isn't supported on Windows. I'm in technical sales so I'm looking for help in getting creative. Since I'm not a developer or graphics design person I'm having a hard time coming up with applications that are required.

If anyone has ideas of Mac applications that would help in sales productivity please share! much appreciated.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm having a hard time coming up with applications that are required.
I'd say that any OSX app out there has a windows counterpart. I'm of the type that would recommend the best tool for the job and if you can't think of any apps that make the MBP a better buy then maybe a windows machine is the best solution for your job.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
hi all, I'm requesting a Macbook Pro at work and they require a work justification ie: applications that I must use that isn't supported on Windows.
There are very few Mac apps that don't have a Windows equivalent, and vice-versa. That's not a good justification for choosing one over the other.

awwwyeah206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
thanks all. I've been a Mac use for many years. I'm just trying to get my work to issue one so I don't have to use this crappy lenovo anymore. Just looking for creative examples if anyone can help

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What exactly is their reason for turning down your request? Are they unwilling to sponsor for a macbook when cheaper windows laptops are a dime a dozen outside? Or unwilling to learn how to service and support a second OS?

Also, what exactly are you working as (technical sales is pretty vague), and how would your laptop factor into your workflow? If it is just basic stuff like email and word processing, heck, even a netbook or chromebook would do the job.

If it is an air, I suppose you could still make a case based on its combination of specs, mobility and form factor. I am personally not a very big fan of the 13" macbook pro, finding it to be rather antiquated (unless you take the effort to upgrade it yourself).

If it is purely personal preference, then consider simply buying a macbook yourself. I did the same because I was frustrated with my school-issued laptop. I now use my apple tv+ipad in class teaching, and macbook after school, with imac at home. :p

Perhaps not the solution you had in mind, but we can't always have our cake and eat it too. :eek:

awwwyeah206

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Quite simply, Macs are more expensive so there is now a corporate policy that you need a good business justification to get one. Frankly, I'm an account manager and I don't have a good justification other than I haven't used a Windows computer in over 3 years. Yes, any computer would do, but the purpose of this thread is to get help making something up! ;+) which i'm having a hard time doing since I'm so unfamiliar with windows.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
dunno. If you have iPad you can make up some mumbo jumbo about Pages/Numbers/Keynote iCloud sync.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Quite simply, Macs are more expensive so there is now a corporate policy that you need a good business justification to get one. Frankly, I'm an account manager and I don't have a good justification other than I haven't used a Windows computer in over 3 years. Yes, any computer would do, but the purpose of this thread is to get help making something up! ;+) which i'm having a hard time doing since I'm so unfamiliar with windows.

Well ... honestly, would you be ready to pay for the difference (mac-win) yourself (I gather it's partially based on your personal preference)?

If so, then try that as an argument. If they go for it, you have what you want. If they cite corporate policy or some bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo to fend you off, then you've still made a strong argument.

And you can always try the Boot Camp argument:
I did some similar work some years back, and clients (windows-houses) were typically impressed by how good my computer (MBP) looked (compared to their IBM's, HP's etc.), they were further impressed when I turned the machine around and showed them I was running Windows. Me shrugging and saying "This is just the best laptop for windows use I've encountered..." just put the final nail in that coffin.

RGDS,

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And you can always try the Boot Camp argument:
The problem with the bootcamp argument is that the company is spending > 2k for a laptop that will run windows (and yet they'll have to purchase a windows license) when they probably spend half that and the purchase includes the windows license.

To make the justification stick, the OP needs to make a case that the MBP does something better then a windows PC but unfortunately in the business sector windows machines have more tools and apps.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
hi all, I'm requesting a Macbook Pro at work and they require a work justification ie: applications that I must use that isn't supported on Windows. I'm in technical sales so I'm looking for help in getting creative. Since I'm not a developer or graphics design person I'm having a hard time coming up with applications that are required.

If anyone has ideas of Mac applications that would help in sales productivity please share! much appreciated.

Exclusive Mac apps might not be the way to argue this. If you're in technical sales, have you considered arguing that a Retina Display will help present your content in the most favorable light, due to the high resolution and excellent color gamut? Or maybe go with superior aesthetics, design, and build quality, etc.? If you think your sales will increase based on using a Macbook Pro for your presentations, that may be better ammo for your cause.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Tell them the Mac OS makes you work more efficiently.

the Mac Operating system can be your "Killer App."

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
How about you compile a list of what you require from your laptop work wise, and then try to find a reason for each point why the mac is superior. Some examples I can think of (i.e. that apply to me):

Battery life (usually better on a mac)
Mobility (low weight mostly!)
Keynote (OSX only presentation software)
Unix basis of OSX (free and easy installation of development tools, gcc, python etc...)
Instant-on (open lid and start working!)
Less malware/viruses

If you really have to make an argument based on individual applications that are necessary for your work, I don't see much hope, unless you are a graphics designer or an iOS-developer.

PS: I assume you are aiming at a 13'' Pro or 11/13'' air?

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Exclusive Mac apps might not be the way to argue this. If you're in technical sales, have you considered arguing that a Retina Display will help present your content in the most favorable light, due to the high resolution and excellent color gamut? Or maybe go with superior aesthetics, design, and build quality, etc.? If you think your sales will increase based on using a Macbook Pro for your presentations, that may be better ammo for your cause.

I think this is definitely a good route to go. Toss in iCloud sync of sales materials between an iPad and OS X (assuming you have an iPad) and you should be gold.

My dad is a sales rep and uses GoodReader. iCloud gives him access to the GoodReader folder on his laptop and iPad so he puts all his PDF materials in there from his laptop and always has them on his iPad and iPhone when visiting clients.

scenox

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
1. keynote --> much better looking presentations, important for sales guys

2. you can say many customers are already havings macs and they expect the same from you to get good quality ;) otherwise they could think your company hasn't enough money to give their employees good working machines or they think your company doesn't care.. they expect from your company to send them the best sales guys with the best equipment available. they paid much money for it blabla..

3. you are much more faster, productivity is much better with a mac

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If you foot part of the laptop bill, what happens when it is time to return the laptop? How would ownership be determined?

I think it is better that either you or the company pays the full bill. Less confusion down the road.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

I'd like to know what ****** sales person is presenting their pitch via a tiny 13 or even 15 inch screen.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I'm just trying to get my work to issue one so I don't have to use this crappy lenovo anymore. Just looking for creative examples if anyone can help

LOL. Good luck with that one. Myself and many others where I work tried the same thing. Put simply, we don't need a Mac to do our jobs and the companies we work for know it. You'll never win this fight against IT and the people who write the checks. All they see is the upfront cost and Macs are always initially more expensive. You'll never convince them that it's in their best interest to give you the tools you'd prefer to do your job.

What myself and a bunch of other people I work with do is use our personal MacBooks at work. It's kind of funny actually. Even the CEO uses his personal MacBook Air instead of the company issued Dell laptop.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I'm also in sales, and bought a Mac myself b/c I simply got tired of the company-issued Dell Windows slowness and constant crashing. My time is valuable and spending unproductive hours per week waiting for my machine to be ready to work became unacceptable.

There are parallel apps for most things, so an app-based business case might be hard to make, but here are a few on the Mac which I didn't have when I used Windows (maybe there are Win versions out there, I don't know).

OS X - per my statement above, reduced downtime is a great productivity argument

Timeline3D - I use this to summarize contracts with customers over time, also use it to present the history of a client relationship

TextExpander - productivity tool for typing

PDFPenPro - for working w/ pdf files, a lot cheaper than Adobe Acrobat

Omnifocus - task management / GTD tool

MindNode Pro - mindmapping app to think about account strategies / map out client org charts

Evernote (but that is cross platform)

OmniPlan - for project management (but of course there is MSFT Project on Win)

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I'd like to know what ****** sales person is presenting their pitch via a tiny 13 or even 15 inch screen.

It's not hard to imagine at all. If the environment where the product is sold demands the use of a laptop, for example a data gathering application in a research lab or for mobile data gathering, the client may want to see the laptop in action. Or, you may not be conducting a formal presentation but a short demo in an office or cubicle where using a projector isn't possible. Finally, even if you're using a projector, there may be a difference in perception if you walk into a presentation with a 5 year old laptop showing it's age, maybe a VGA port that no longer makes a solid connection or a loud cooling fan, and a new, thin, shiny speed demon; this same difference in perception may apply in some degree to a "crappy lenovo" vs a Macbook Pro as well, depending on what's making it "crappy".

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

Let's see...

1) Mac has had multitouch gesture support for a long while now. Pretty much any application you use on Mac can be navigated with multitouch gestures. When you have to view many PDF documents or large photos, or huge spreadsheets, being able to scroll in both dimensions (up, down, left, right) arbitrarily without having to grab the scroll bar is something you won't be able to do in Windows just yet.

2) Mac has built-in Contacts/Calendar/Reminders/Notes suite that allows you to organize your schedule, keep track of your life, and make sure your clients and business partners are always within just a few mouse clicks. Windows 8 comes with the equivalence of these, but importing your contacts, calendars, emails, reminders, notes, etc... into Windows is a pain in the rear.

3) Mac has FaceTime, which allows you to easily communicate with clients and business partners who have iPhones/iPads. Not everyone uses Skype.

4) Some of your clients/contacts use Mac computers, and you'd like to be compatible with their workflow. Mac can see contents copied to Windows-formatted USB drives (NTFS, FAT, or exFAT), but Windows can't see some USB drives formatted on a Mac (HFS+)

5) Mac has Automator built-in, which allows you to automate some mundane tasks like batch copying files and organizing folders, creating PDF documents from photos with just two clicks of a mouse, automatically print all of the documents inside a folder, automatically inspect calendar events and then print document on a date, etc... You can accomplish about the same thing on Windows but through many hoops like third-party applications, batch files, etc... and even then, it's not like you can just copy all of your Automator actions over to your Windows computer like that.

If you were a programmer/designer, then I'd have another 20 reasons for you...

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Tell them the Mac OS makes you work more efficiently.

the Mac Operating system can be your "Killer App."

In which case, we may as well tell the OP to say "FreeBSD is the killer app", since OS X was built with it (the Cocoa API being one of the few differentiations).

But lots of more stable, multitasking OSes competed with Windows in the 1990s.

Guess which platform won? (Hint, it wasn't the best... and was pretty much the worst and I had been around the geek block at the time, right down to OS/2 and BeOS, but the OS that had won was the best marketed.)

Anyone with a technical background WILL shoot your idea down without more evidence.

Because everybody knows that the OS does not make a hill of beans in this equation. It's just a layer.

It's the applications that run under the OS that make the difference.

The OS is not an app, nor would we want it to be an app... I wouldn't want it to be an app.

So add in those costs and prove Mac Office works better than MS Office (forgive me, as I run Windows Office in a Parallels session, because Mac Office has always been crap, in typical Microsoft fashion..)

And then there's the issue of Windows->OSX ports and how well they are maintained. Netbeans has been slower to get updated on OS X... Adobe's certainly not kept up with Flash development (and there could be a better alternative for Flash that won't become as fragmented as HTML5 will eventually be)...

In many ways I will put OS X above Windows, but I know enough that "the OS is a killer app" wouldn't be swallowed by anybody.

----------

Let's see...

1) Mac has had multitouch gesture support for a long while now. Pretty much any application you use on Mac can be navigated with multitouch gestures. When you have to view many PDF documents or large photos, or huge spreadsheets, being able to scroll in both dimensions (up, down, left, right) arbitrarily without having to grab the scroll bar is something you won't be able to do in Windows just yet.

2) Mac has built-in Contacts/Calendar/Reminders/Notes suite that allows you to organize your schedule, keep track of your life, and make sure your clients and business partners are always within just a few mouse clicks. Windows 8 comes with the equivalence of these, but importing your contacts, calendars, emails, reminders, notes, etc... into Windows is a pain in the rear.

3) Mac has FaceTime, which allows you to easily communicate with clients and business partners who have iPhones/iPads. Not everyone uses Skype.

4) Some of your clients/contacts use Mac computers, and you'd like to be compatible with their workflow. Mac can see contents copied to Windows-formatted USB drives (NTFS, FAT, or exFAT), but Windows can't see some USB drives formatted on a Mac (HFS+)

5) Mac has Automator built-in, which allows you to automate some mundane tasks like batch copying files and organizing folders, creating PDF documents from photos with just two clicks of a mouse, automatically print all of the documents inside a folder, automatically inspect calendar events and then print document on a date, etc... You can accomplish about the same thing on Windows but through many hoops like third-party applications, batch files, etc... and even then, it's not like you can just copy all of your Automator actions over to your Windows computer like that.

If you were a programmer/designer, then I'd have another 20 reasons for you...

1. I use OS X and don't use that feature now. Doesn't seem to be a big selling point.

2. Most corporations use Outlook.

3. An article I read said that companies aren't wasting tons of money for big bling screens for the fancy face-to-face nationwide meetings and such because it's not worth the money. It wasn't needed before, there is no need for it now - not for corporations, who are so worried about "cost" that they'll eventually starve in the end anyhow... facetime and the other glitzy bling is for the customer consumers that prattle on facebook all day. No sale.

4. That could be justified as a viable point.

5. Windows 7 has some not-dissimilar utilities integrated. Otherwise there are plug-ins... they're not hard to find, so is it worth the massive additional cost?

/devilsadvocate

As for the claim of "20 reasons" for developers and designers... What are those 20 reasons?

Premiere Pro is for Macs, and that's a good one, especially after Apple bungled it badly with Final Cut "Pro" X.

As is Photoshop. I am using CS6 and liking it immensely, though after the latest patch Adobe put out I had to re-enter my license key... but that can conceivably happen in Windows as well.

So, we're down to 18 reasons left, but I do Java development with the Netbeans IDE and they are slow to put out OS X updates.

Never mind getting the JDK (I couldn't get 1.6 for Mountain Lion...)

Objective-C is older than the antiquated Flash platform and also lacks garbage collection, so that can't be a reason - it's proprietary to Apple and companies will scram from walled gardens the moment they realize the cost and benefits no longer work for them.

But what are your 20 reasons, 18 if Premiere Pro and Photoshop were already accounted for?

(oh, avoid Project VII Dreamweaver plugins - they tell customers that the 15% of their customers who use Macs seem to call in with 85% of the problems with compatibility... that could be due to differences in Dreamweaver's being ported to OS X or it could be due to something else...)

----------

1. keynote --> much better looking presentations, important for sales guys

2. you can say many customers are already havings macs and they expect the same from you to get good quality ;) otherwise they could think your company hasn't enough money to give their employees good working machines or they think your company doesn't care.. they expect from your company to send them the best sales guys with the best equipment available. they paid much money for it blabla..

3. you are much more faster, productivity is much better with a mac

Devil's advocate again:

1. Praising the vanity of skeuomorphics?

2. Perceived quality. Plenty of reports and articles of overheating iMacs and Macbooks spit on the claim of real quality.

3. How is productivity faster? Blue screen of death? Have you heard of "beachball of death" that Mac users get? I've had more of those over the last year than I ever had BSODs, especially after installing Mountain Lion...

Do you have comparisons of Mac vs Windows apps (e.g. Photoshop) that run on identically-configured hardware? (e.g. a Mac, same Mac with boot camp, and any old plastic PC with the same speed CPU and other off-the-shelf items that were put into the Mac). Why should anyone take your claim at face value?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Unless there are some complete fools sitting in your IT departments you are out of luck. There is just no serious reason other than personal preference. Most Apps exist on both plattforms and compatibility and quality is generally worse on Macs. Barely anyone formats USB drives in HFS. Most use exFAT or NTFS. Lower overhead and no issues. And making Windows read HFS is also not an impossible task.

If your relations to the responsible people aren't too bad you could try to negotiate a deal where they pay you the cost a company sanctioned notebook would have and you take the mark up out of your own pocket.
If working with the Mac isn't a problem and you deal with your own software and compatibility issues they might go for it. If the people responsible feel indifferent or generally even positive about Macs themselves, I guess that should work.
Convincing them to pay for a more expensive computer for no sensible reason, in the end maybe facing even support issues or additional software costs, I think the chances are slim unless you are dealing with complete fools or fanboys.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Will it connect to the corporate network either directly or by VPN? If the company doesn't already support Macs, it probably isn't going to happen. Companies like the tools Windows provides to manage large populations of computers. Heavy handed use of these tools (and use of minimally spec'd hardware) is often why people think Windows PCs are slow and buggy. Anyway, a Mac not properly configured is a risk to network and data security.

If the company is somewhat progressive and embrace BYOD, you may have a chance if you pay the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.