Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcclure

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
My school district is starting to look at using iPads 1:1 and next year would be a test year. We are looking at 1000-1200 iPads for the first year and then 4,000 more the follow on year if it works out.

We got a quote from Apple for $479 per iPad when buying 1000, but I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get a larger discount when buying that number.

If they had 1000 refurbs that would be nice at $419 each.

Mcclure

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
The $479 is the Apple education discount they offered. I'll check Microcenter. I think Apple has a deal with a lot of retailers that won't allow them to do build sales for education. I know we can't buy 200+ Macbooks from Best Buy.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Sorry but do you honestly think someone on a random site is going to have the "inside track" to getting you a better price than quoted by Apple? Come on now.

Mcclure

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Honestly... the $450 from Microcenter would save us $30,000. If we end up going that route I would think the 30 seconds per post would be pretty good. If nothing else it gives us a counter that we can go back to Apple with. So yes I am glad I posted on a random site.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Get a dedicated representative from the Apple sales team....Just ask, I did, and now have a direct extension number so that I talk to the same person all the time.

The individual knows what I do with my Macs, and has all my purchase history to hand. He is also an expert in Mac music creation....I don't get passed from pillar to post...Just a one shot call or an email ND HE PHONES ME BACK.

As posted above, only Apple can give you the information you need. They are very helpful and friendly...You won't get any hard sell, just excellent advice.

Mcclure

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
The $479 came from the official Apple rep for our region. That is why I wanted to know if anyone else might have had a different experience. The $479 just seemed almost unbelievable for an education price for 1000+ iPads.

I figure we will be waiting at least until the new model comes out. There seemed to be a rumor of the 2 going to $400 which would be nice.

I would have thought there would have been a bigger discount for a school. I know the iPads will sell if we don't buy them so I can understand it from a business perspective but other companies have been much better with discounts for education.

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Check with an authorized reseller in your area. My company purchased 600 devices last April and Apple only offered 20.00 off on each device (16GB 3G/WiFi). Another reseller offered a much better discount.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
$20 seems way too little. I remembered Singapore recently bought a bunch for their troops and the discount was much more substantial, along the tune of 10-15% off?

Update: Did some searching, they paid $4mil for 8000 tablets, or $500 each. Considering the basic 16gb wifi retails for $668 in Singapore, that works out to a 25% discount?!? God, just what is the margin on these things?

Continue searching, I think with the amount you are buying, you should be able to wrangle out a 15-20% discount at least. What more with the upcoming ipad3 release, its price should drop even more.

Last edited:

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Apple-Wholesale.net -- 100 16GB wifi iPad mini for $179.50 each?

Is this site a scam or is this for real? Anyone have experience with these guys? I saw them recommended on another forum but wow, that price is hard to believe.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
You definitely want to get in touch with their business team. I think the terms on pricing they work out may be confidential, but it's non-negligible. At least for their laptops and desktops, they allow leasing, which might be a good option as well. I mean, how does someone sell 1000 two-year-old iPads that don't run the latest iOS release?

http://www.apple.com/retail/business/

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I know that my former high school acquired iPads through a third party company. They didn't buy them, but rather rented a bunch of iPad 2 units for a yearly fee. Each student has the option to buy at the end of a certain period and keep their iPad if they choose. That company also takes care of support and repairs.

I don't recall that name of the company at this moment.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I know that my former high school acquired iPads through a third party company. They didn't buy them, but rather rented a bunch of iPad 2 units for a yearly fee. Each student has the option to buy at the end of a certain period and keep their iPad if they choose. That company also takes care of support and repairs.

I don't recall that name of the company at this moment.

We do a similar thing at work for our iPhones and iPads.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
My school district is starting to look at using iPads 1:1 and next year would be a test year. We are looking at 1000-1200 iPads for the first year and then 4,000 more the follow on year if it works out.

We got a quote from Apple for $479 per iPad when buying 1000, but I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get a larger discount when buying that number.

If they had 1000 refurbs that would be nice at $419 each.

Your school should look into the ipad mini

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
If you are serious about buying 1000 pcs please PM me. I have a couple of friends in the wholesale business and I can try to connect you.

Edit: just saw you are interested in refurbs... that might be good too. PM Me i can most likely connect you with somebody

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.