Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

er15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
img0687k.png

Hey guys my phone battery imo is poor. I have wifi, Cellular and everything off and yet my battery is draining so fast :(

Any suggestions? Should i also take it to Apple?

I've been barely using my phone, haven't taken any pictures or played any games, nor surfed the internet.

Last edited:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
@AFDoc: stop trolling.

OP: that battery life is piss poor. Return the phone to Apple.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY

Hey guys my phone battery imo is poor. I have wifi, Cellular and everything off and yet my battery is draining so fast :(

I've been barely using my phone, haven't taken any pictures or played any games, nor surfed the internet.

Is this is a new phone?

Did you try draining it all the way to shut down and then fully charging? If not you need to do that at least 1-3 times.

er15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Wow, no need to add this one to the several battery threads already on the front page because your question is unique and deserves it's own!

Sorry, I didn't see that thread until now.

Is this is a new phone?

Did you try draining it all the way to shut down and then fully charging? If not you need to do that at least 1-3 times.

Nope I got my iPhone 5 a day after it was launched here in September. But lately the battery life has been slowly deteriorating and now it's been horrid. I have also let it drain up more 3 times since I've purchased my phone, also set it up as a new phone.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Wtf? Almost 7 hours of standby time? I mean that's not bad... I've seen much worse. My boss' iPhone with 1-2 bars of reception barely gets 7 hours of standby on a charge...

Looks like you have max reception - depending on where the majority of your reception is during that 7 hours of standby time, I wouldn't be sad about this. Is this a brand new iPhone? If so, give it at least a week for battery issues to settle down.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Wtf? Almost 7 hours of standby time? I mean that's not bad... I've seen much worse. My boss' iPhone with 1-2 bars of reception barely gets 7 hours of standby on a charge...

Looks like you have max reception - depending on where the majority of your reception is during that 7 hours of standby time, I wouldn't be sad about this. Is this a brand new iPhone? If so, give it at least a week for battery issues to settle down.

I disagree as you shouldn't lose 20% with only 11 mins of usage, even with almost 7 hours of standby.

My i5 only loses about 3-5% over the course of the night on standby and that's without me checking to make sure all the apps are closed, etc. Granted, it is on WiFi, but you still shouldn't lose that much unless you have a ton of apps on in the background, along with bluetooth on and your email updating every minute.

er15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012

See this is the thing :( The phone is more than 2 months old as I purchased it a day after it was launched. For these reasons I am not sure if you mean 'brand new' after 2 months. But slowly the battery has been deteriorating :(

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Hows this for poor battery life? WHAT THE HELL! Should I get a replacement? bought it on monday, I've let it drain down to 0 then back to 100 3 times already.

photolng.jpg

photo1jln.jpg

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Hows this for poor battery life? WHAT THE HELL! Should I get a replacement? bought it on monday, I've let it drain down to 0 then back to 100 3 times already.

Depends.....what have you done regarding "usage" in that hour? Just basic stuff?

Live I've said, an hour of streaming from the TuneIn Radio app took my phone down 32%. If it was just basic twitter, email, etc. then it's probably a bad battery.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Depends.....what have you done regarding "usage" in that hour? Just basic stuff?

Live I've said, an hour of streaming from the TuneIn Radio app took my phone down 32%. If it was just basic twitter, email, etc. then it's probably a bad battery.

It was maybe 10-15 texts and the rest was browsing the settings to see if something changed. Could it be because my service is the little circle? I have terrible service here at work. I did a full restore last night because after a hard reset the phone erased all my passwords and settings and made me "connect to itunes to recieve push notifications". Maybe this is just a lemon? NEVER had a problem with any other iPhone I've owned.

er15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
It was maybe 10-15 texts and the rest was browsing the settings to see if something changed. Could it be because my service is the little circle? I have terrible service here at work. I did a full restore last night because after a hard reset the phone erased all my passwords and settings and made me "connect to itunes to recieve push notifications". Maybe this is just a lemon? NEVER had a problem with any other iPhone I've owned.

Ah, see with mine I did not make any phone calls or texts, nor use any wifi connection to use facebook/instagram. Just on pure stand by with me opening it to take screenshots of the battery life :(

Seems like I have a poorer battery life than you :(

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Will there ever be a design solution to these nagging battery concerns to give the phone a better battery life?

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY

Well, do you have your WiFi and/or Bluetooth on? I know that if you do it will keep searching. Also, same with the "Enable LTE" in cellular settings. If those are all on and you don't have access to them, the phone will keep searching for them and it drain quicker than normal. Still don't think it should go down 30% in that amount of time though.

The little circle icon, at least on my Verizon model, only shows up when I'm actually talking on the phone. I don't think I've every seen it outside of that so I'm not sure if that means bad reception or what.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Well, do you have your WiFi and/or Bluetooth on? I know that if you do it will keep searching. Also, same with the "Enable LTE" in cellular settings. If those are all on and you don't have access to them, the phone will keep searching for them and it drain quicker than normal. Still don't think it should go down 30% in that amount of time though.

The little circle icon, at least on my Verizon model, only shows up when I'm actually talking on the phone. I don't think I've every seen it outside of that so I'm not sure if that means bad reception or what.

So I should turn off LTE while I am at work? Never thought about that I just figured if it couldnt find it it would stop looking for it, or atleast maybe once an hour or so and not constantly. Maybe I'll give that a try and no my wifi isnt on so thats not a factor. Also, if I'm not mistaken the little circle means edge? Not completely sure though...

Right now its 12:14 on 68 percent.

Wifi off
LTE off
All apps closed

Im going to give it an hour and see how the drop is.

It does seem like it dropped quite a bit though in a short amount of time. I'm wonderding If I should just go get a replacement or not...

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
So I should turn off LTE while I am at work? Never thought about that I just figured if it couldnt find it it would stop looking for it, or atleast maybe once an hour or so and not constantly. Maybe I'll give that a try and no my wifi isnt on so thats not a factor. Also, if I'm not mistaken the little circle means edge? Not completely sure though...

Right now its 12:14 on 68 percent.

Wifi off
LTE off
All apps closed

Im going to give it an hour and see how the drop is.

It does seem like it dropped quite a bit though in a short amount of time. I'm wonderding If I should just go get a replacement or not...

I'm not sure on the LTE thing, but I "think" it will search for LTE if that is enabled. All you can do is try it with it off.

If nothing really works then I would try taking it in, which sucks, but it will be worth it if they can fix the problem with a new phone or whatever.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

Believe it or not, twitter is quite a battery drainer. :(

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I'm not sure on the LTE thing, but I "think" it will search for LTE if that is enabled. All you can do is try it with it off.

If nothing really works then I would try taking it in, which sucks, but it will be worth it if they can fix the problem with a new phone or whatever.

Well so far with the above settings mentioned its been about 10 minutes and its gone from 68 from 64 without me touching it at all. Gonna give it another 50 minutes and see. Thats the only way I can truely know.

at 10:33 it was at 94 percent with LTE on then 11:33 it was on 70 with lte on and only another 20-30 minutes of scrolling through the settings.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Well so far with the above settings mentioned its been about 10 minutes and its gone from 68 from 64 without me touching it at all. Gonna give it another 50 minutes and see. Thats the only way I can truely know.

at 10:33 it was at 94 percent with LTE on then 11:33 it was on 70 with lte on and only another 20-30 minutes of scrolling through the settings.

If you lost 4% in 10 mins on standby alone, with everything turned off, then you have a faulty battery.

I only lose 3-5% on standby over the course of 8 hours at night. 4% in 10 mins is a bad battery/phone.:(

er15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
So, with my current situation should I return my phone to Apple? :(

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
If you lost 4% in 10 mins on standby alone, with everything turned off, then you have a faulty battery.

I only lose 3-5% on standby over the course of 8 hours at night. 4% in 10 mins is a bad battery/phone.:(

Yeah...thats what I figured. So since I've had problems with this phone from my iCloud back ups (deleting passwords/connect to itunes for push notification/imessage didnt work) Should I start over new with the new phone? My only problem is how do I get my pictures back? There synced to icloud.... I know when I login to my thing my contacts automatically come back so I'm not worried about that

Can I sync them to my desktop and then put them back on or would that possibly bring the problem back again? I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of downloading all my apps again, but if I have too, I will.

Btw its on 57 percent now and I havent touched it, It did fetch emails once though.

Last edited:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

That gives you about a day and a half of battery life. How is that bad when you can just charge your phone at night? As long as it gets you through the day it is good. Android phones cant even make it through the day.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
That gives you about a day and a half of battery life. How is that bad when you can just charge your phone at night? As long as it gets you through the day it is good. Android phones cant even make it through the day.

Ha! My Android blows your iPhone away. My battery life is far superior to your's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.