Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
VERY GENERAL QUESTION HERE:

Why are all of Apple's things priced so high? I mean, the iPad mini's price looks crazy! and I heard that everything it is made of comes to about $180! Even after including production costs, is this right? does Apple just price there products so high because they feel like it?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

Why are all of Apple's things priced so high? I mean, the iPad mini's price looks crazy! and I heard that everything it is made of comes to about $180! Even after including production costs, is this right? does Apple just price there products so high because they feel like it?

There are many reasons.

One, is a marketing strategy used to attract a particular demographic. The one with disposable income, willing to purchase into the Apple eco-system for the long haul. Not just buy one product and be done with it and then switch to a different brand down the road.

There are more reasons too, but this one popped into my mind first when you mentioned the cost of the iPad Mini compared to other similar sized tablets on the market.

Apple and Bose have similar marketing strategies in some regard. They both make decent products, are they the best? Not always. But people still buy and they retain huge profit margins.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Because even with high prices for some of their products, there is still demand for them. So, no need for them to lower their prices yet :p.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010

yeah it cost 180 for parts but what about software, that needs to be priced, how about the people that have to assemble it, and intellectual property, how about the people who designed it those people need to get paid too its not the cost of parts, there are many many factors that add to the parts cost, apple also need to pay for patents and other rights, in other words there are many many MANY other things that lead the price to be the way it is, and on top of it apple needs to make a profit so there you go.

maxxaddict

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
Saskatchewan, Canada
yeah it cost 180 for parts but what about software, that needs to be priced, how about the people that have to assemble it, and intellectual property, how about the people who designed it those people need to get paid too its not the cost of parts, there are many many factors that add to the parts cost, apple also need to pay for patents and other rights, in other words there are many many MANY other things that lead the price to be the way it is, and on top of it apple needs to make a profit so there you go.

Economics 101 :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.