Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, we noted that the iTunes Music Store had gone live in 56 new countries, nearly doubling the number of countries with access to the store. At the time, Apple noted in its press release that movies were also being launched in Russia, Turkey, India and Indonesia with "select additional countries" also scheduled to offer the film content.

itunes_store_movies_watch.jpg
Beginning earlier today, a number of MacRumors readers began reporting that movies had gone live in their countries, and AppleInsider has compiled a list of 42 new countries where movies are now available.

- Europe: Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine

- Africa, the Middle East and India: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Botswana, Cape Verde, Egypt, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Swaziland, United Arab Emirates, Uganda, Zimbabwe

- Asia Pacific: Micronesia, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan

- Latin America and the Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago

The new additions mean that just ten of the 56 countries that added music content earlier this month have yet to begin offering movies. Those countries include: Barbados, Bermuda, Burkina Faso, Fiji, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, and Uzbekistan.

Article Link: iTunes Store Movie Content Goes Live in 42 New Countries

peeeter

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
Subtitles

Nice to see that Apple is expanding geographic coverage ... but in order to be successful in new countries they need to provide movies with subtitles in local languages.

-RJ-

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Norway
Nice to see that Apple is expanding geographic coverage ... but in order to be successful in new countries they need to provide movies with subtitles in local languages.

And provide iTunes Match / iTunes in the Cloud.. Features still missing in Scandinavia :(

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The MPAA and other related groups must be crying that they had to make these deals. So many people can have access to see their product, now.

Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.

Probably the people who live outside those countries?

42 new countries care.

'MURICAH, f yeah!

About this post no one cares.

People like you are to blame to most of the world's problems. If it doesn't effect you, you don't care. What a shame.

In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all english speaking, therefore most of us live in english speaking countries. this is important for apple, and important for the many people that live in those countries, but you and I as individuals it doesn't really affect. I would think that out of all active MR posters MAYBE 1% are from any of those 42 countries.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I must be doing my math wrong... it seems that iTunes is now available in 17 more countries than exist on the planet.

I better recheck that.

P.S. How are the Amazon and Google stores' worldwide reach?

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
The MPAA and other related groups must be crying that they had to make these deals. So many people can have access to see their product, now.

How many people can seriously afford iTunes movies in most of the places mentioned?

Take Zimbabwe, for instance; the poverty rate there is 80% relative. Probably 99% in practicality.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all english speaking, therefore most of us live in english speaking countries. this is important for apple, and important for the many people that live in those countries, but you and I as individuals it doesn't really affect. I would think that out of all active MR posters MAYBE 1% are from any of those 42 countries.

The original post seems to fall into the category of a mindset of a lot of this country (including my Grandpa) that their world view ends when you reach the East or West coast...there's really nothing out there, and I know a few whose world ends at their city limits. And then an explainer-in-chief taking time to quote six other posts to enlighten the public on somebody else's mind set? If that isn't my long suffering Grandma defending Gramps I'd be totally surprised, except neither uses a computer.

pixelpro

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
In this context, we should request Arn to share the geographical spread of macrumors readers! Would go miles to shut idiot posts like "who cares..."

dove

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2009
I just wish they would add subtitles in more languages. The current situation is particularly annoying when you're (living) abroad and you want to watch a movie with someone whose English isn't very good.

I know. I know. This affects few people. Still, it's annoying and particularly so because this seems like it would be relatively easy to fix for the powers that be!

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
I just wish they would add subtitles in more languages. The current situation is particularly annoying when you're (living) abroad and you want to watch a movie with someone whose English isn't very good.

I know. I know. This affects few people. Still, it's annoying and particularly so because this seems like it would be relatively easy to fix for the powers that be!

If Apple adds subtites in the video file, can I turn it off?
I like DVD and Blu-ray, I can turn subtitle on or off, my choice.

dove

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2009

As far as I can tell all movies in my local iTunes store have Dutch and French subtitles. Are there countries where local subtitles are not provided?

If Apple adds subtites in the video file, can I turn it off?
I like DVD and Blu-ray, I can turn subtitle on or off, my choice.

Yes, it's the same for iTunes movies.

a1exey1azar

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Washington DC
Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine

Like people in Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine where near 98 percent of e-content is free from torrents will pay any money to Apple. Can't wait to see at least one person from this region to get a movie from iTunes...

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all english speaking, therefore most of us live in english speaking countries.

I don't speak english, french is my primary language. I just happened to learn english at school, then watching USA, english-Canadian and UK TV shows. I als0 l3arned engl1sh by r3ad1ng 0n th3 1ntern3t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.