Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
Who cares? I don't compute with photos.

There's a limit to how different you can make the ultimate simplistic yet elegant design look. It's like expecting the next generation of eggs to look more simple, functional, and elegant. When you achieve perfection, there's little room for improvement.

Comments like this are getting really old. Can't wait for apple to change the design: 1st cause this design is played and 2nd so I can read all the comments by the same fanboys that post comments like above jack it to the new design.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
If it's anything like the rMBP reduction in glare, it's definitely better... But not great.

Oh, sorry to hear that, cause the rmbp is my fallback plan in case the imac is still glare prone... Waiting for them to fix the lags and stutters on the rmbp too, unless their "software fix" will come when nvidia releases new gfx hardware... in typical current apple software development fashion where they offload development to the hardware...

At least lg's panels on the imac don't "feature" image retention...that's something. :);)

Clocknova

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
But is it VESA compatible? I want one, but I cannot stand one on my desk. I have to be able to mount it on an arm and I really don't want to have to either buy last year's model or saw that dang aluminum stand off of the new one.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
It's doable...

What a great idea...Apple could make a super thin iMac by putting the hard drive, logic board, ram, ect in a separate enclosure that you could put underneath your desk. No need to have an external optical drive cluttering your desk either, it could be included in the separate enclosure.

DestroVega

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
CT
Mine changed to preparing for shipment so I guess I'd be lucky to have it at the original estimated date of 12/24

Wookye

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Shipped today from China

My order placed at 12:07am PST (right after they started taking orders) with several custom options (i7 3.4GHz, 3TB Fusion, GTX 680MX 2GB). Shipped today UPS from China for delivery in NJ on 20th Dec. MacSales.com (OWC) and Crucial.com have 32GB RAM upgrades for $175 (at OWC that is after trade-in).

Renzatic

Suspended
What a great idea...Apple could make a super thin iMac by putting the hard drive, logic board, ram, ect in a separate enclosure that you could put underneath your desk. No need to have an external optical drive cluttering your desk either, it could be included in the separate enclosure.

You know, I didn't even think about that. Apple returning to the Luxo look could be a good thing here. You'd get a super thin display, and packing the computer itself into a smaller rounded enclosure at the base would give you that usual "Apple style" while being easier to work inside of than the current iMacs.

...maybe that's what they're planning with the new Pros.

Last edited:

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Yeah I'm disappointed by how long it typically takes for Apple to update their displays. :( Imagine how thin the display could be since it doesn't need to house a hard drive and other parts!

Obviously you've never opened a thunderbolt display. There is a lot more in them than you think. Unless the made connections at the edge of the display. They will be able to slim it but there are other things in there that are thicker than a laptop HDD.

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Best advice I got in school was don't put a 2000$ computer on a 20$ table. You don't want your 2000$ computer to break when the table falls apart.

Maybe get a 60$ table...

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

that's called a Mac Pro lol

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007

Umm they did it and its called Mac Mini.:D

bmclemons

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
San Francisco, Caifornia
Shipping Length

I wonder how long it will take. Mine shipped UPS and shows this:

Anchorage, AK, United States 12/11/2012 9:10 P.M. Departure Scan
Shanghai, China 12/12/2012 5:12 A.M. Departure Scan
Shanghai, China 12/11/2012 12:45 P.M. Export Scan
Shanghai, China 12/10/2012 10:50 P.M. Departure Scan
12/10/2012 6:41 P.M. Origin Scan
China 12/10/2012 7:23 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Shows delivery Monday! Damn I wish it were Friday! Customs will probably take forever!!! LOL

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
For all those talking about the lump in the back. I really don't think it's as much of an issue o. The 27" as the 21" due to the footprint. *sorry for the rotated pics damn iPhone 5 lol

image.jpg

So will this iMac be replacing your Hackintosh in the background? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.