Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Eat humble pie and pay Google the necessary dollars to get a top end implementation that has feature parity with Android...

Or. Since they are in this mapping business now, spend the nessasary resources and time and sell this service.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
That won't do any good in helping its current customers who are suffering.

Correct. But that is the path they are on right now.

Suffering isn't the word I would use if maps are incorrect, when there are serveral options other than Apple Maps.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
No. But looking at the satellite images with the roads overlay you can clearly see most of the problems.

What makes you think that the satellite images are correct?

They could be even more out of date!

They could also be misaligned.

It's a very risky mapping method.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Forgot you birthday?

I needed to go to Occidental College in LA. It had me take the 110. Bad idea originally but I figured only way to go. For some reason though Apple Maps wanted me to exit around 3rd street, which is the main downtown area and has the highest amount of traffic. As I proceeded to exit and get off onto the side highway till I reached third street. It was like... you know what.... get back on the 110. :[ Wasted 20 minutes of time.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Suffering isn't the word I would use if maps are incorrect, when there are serveral options other than Apple Maps.

No, there aren't.

There are numerous other options for navigation, but that doesn't solve all of the problems Apple's Maps have caused.

Since the changing of the Map API, many 3rd party apps have since been rendered nearly useless.

Fitness apps used to track/ compare runs between friends and myself now show meaningless lines in the middle of nowhere whereas the old maps fully showed bike/ walking paths and small ponds/ rivers.

Real estate apps are completely useless now as many of the homes in my area are shown in the wrong spot - often with many addresses inexplicably piled onto the same point on the map (my home shares a random spot in the woods with over 50 of my neighbors).

Location based reminders won't work unless I hike out into the middle of the woods. The 'Find My' apps don't fare any better.

I couldn't care less about Apple's Navigation app... it has more than enough issues (not including the crappy maps or limited POI) to keep me from using it. What I do care about are the features and apps that I did have and used prior to upgrading to iOS 6 that I have now lost and can't/ won't get back anytime soon (if ever).

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Let me fix my previous statement
Buy maps data from google and implement it on apple maps while apple get their data sorted out

Okay, that makes more sense. However, if that was even an option, I personally think that Apple would've jumped all over it.

Sure, some people could (probably even will) argue that Apple is dead-set on not helping Google out in any way, no matter what, but I don't believe that.

My guess, in direct response to your suggestion, is that Google did not offer to license data to Apple and that, consequently, Apple had to get it from somewhere else.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Okay, that makes more sense. However, if that was even an option, I personally think that Apple would've jumped all over it.

Sure, some people could (probably even will) argue that Apple is dead-set on not helping Google out in any way, no matter what, but I don't believe that.

My guess, in direct response to your suggestion, is that Google did not offer to license data to Apple and that, consequently, Apple had to get it from somewhere else.

This has been discussed a thousand times....Apple wanted to use Google's data but they would only allow it if their name was all over it...Apple didn't want that.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
This has been discussed a thousand times....Apple wanted to use Google's data but they would only allow it if their name was all over it...Apple didn't want that.

I see. I haven't seen/heard that particular detail before (Google requiring their name being all over Maps) so I guess I missed out somehow. Thanks.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I see. I haven't seen/heard that particular detail before (Google requiring their name being all over Maps) so I guess I missed out somehow. Thanks.

Well...maybe nobody has mentioned it recently...but it was the reason given when Maps was first announced. :)

Apple wanted to add turn by turn and Google wouldn't allow it unless it was branded under their name. I can't blame either of them for wanting what they wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.